AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really have a restriction on size, but want quality. I have been looking at the 26" and 32" Sharp Aquos, but while in Best Buy last night, a floor model Zenith caught my eye. It was a 44" but I'm not sure what model it was. I would love any suggestions. The 46" Samsung DLP is also very nice but a tad bit to rich for my blood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well if your after a good DLP set I realy like Panasonic's ones though it may be a little out of your budget. As far as the LCD that Sharp 32" is the best LCD out there and the picture quality will probably look superior to any DLP TV. Frankly your comparing 2 very different technologys. The Samsung and Panasonic DLP sets I think are the best out there and the 32" sharp is the best LCD out there (in your price.) It really depends on the space and what you want. Personally I am partial to LCDs so I would go with the sharp. And if you are after perceived picture quality then the Sharp will look the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was just looking over the Samsung DLP sets and I noticed they also have a 42" model which brings the price down a little. Also Circuitcity.com has all the sets on sale so that will hoepefuly help even the price out for you. The panasonic I mentioned retails for $3000 for a 50" so its out of your budget. I've seen the Samsung DLP sets like 6 months ago when I was interested in DLP and there quite impressive. I thought I liked the blacks better some on the Panasonic but the Samsung was still an excelent set.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone had any experience with Zenith LCDs? The 44" I saw at Best Buy looked really sharo but I haven't read much about Zenith LCDs.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
That is a Zenith LCD projection set right? Now they are a sub-brand of LG.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the difference betweem LCD and projection LCD? I do believe the one I saw was a projection LCD since it was much deeper than most LCDs I've seen.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob9000
What is the difference betweem LCD and projection LCD? I do believe the one I saw was a projection LCD since it was much deeper than most LCDs I've seen.
LCD is actually a flat panel of glass with a backlight. LCD projection is a small LCD panel or panels with a light source (shorter lived than a backlight) projecting through it onto a rear screen. They are usually thicker (10"-18" deep). LCD panels are 4" thick or less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is a link put together by the Sound and Vision Magine forums, goes over all the different display formats. LCD and LCD Rear Projection are 5 down from the top.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob9000
So I am guessing that LCDs last longer and have a better picture than a projection LCD?
I don't know about better picture but the flat panel LCD back light is rated for up to 60,000 hours. Maybe 10x more than a projection LCD lamp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.