AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been awhile since Ive bought a new TV. Im going to be on the market late this summer and wanted get some input on RP LCD vs DLP. When I got my Panasonic 50LC13 4 years ago it seemed like RP LCD was better. DLP has become all the rage and Im not sure if its marketing or technoogy that is making the difference?

Is Samsung one of the best brands to look at today for these things? I would want to get a '1080p' TV unless I hear that mode doesnt work well with the RP sets.

Also,

I noticed over XMas that everyone was advertising '720p' TV sets or '1080p' - I know what the difference it, however 4 years ago it seemed everyone was advertising '1080i' even though the sets supported '720p' - Have the manufacturers stopped advertising '1080i' as to no confuse the public with the new '1080p' TVs or has '1080i' kinda been dropped????

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
A few years ago, all DLPs were 720p, whereas the RP LCDs came in different resolutions (720p, 768p, etc). Now you have a 1080p option for DLP (there are no 1080p RP LCDs). There never has been a 1080i DLP or RP LCD (they accept 1080i signals, but scale all inputs to their native resolution). Which is better? I prefer DLP or LCOS over RP LCD, but that is a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BillP - ah you are right, my LCD RPTV is 768p with upconvert to 1080i - I just remember all BestBuy ads touting 1080i back then and was surprised to see 720p and 1080p in the ads over the holidays.

Since RPTV LCD doesnt support 1080p looks like I am forced to go DLP since I dont want to pay for plasma nor LCD (a bit pricey for my pocket books).

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
If you want 1080p, then you're down to DLP (Samsung, Mits, or Tosh) and LCOS (Sony SXRD or JVC DILA). All these are great displays -- go look at them in stores to see which you prefer. Although they all accept 1080p over HDMI, I believe Samsung is the only one that accepts 1080p over component.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

A few years ago, all DLPs were 720p, whereas the RP LCDs came in different resolutions (720p, 768p, etc). Now you have a 1080p option for DLP (there are no 1080p RP LCDs). There never has been a 1080i DLP or RP LCD (they accept 1080i signals, but scale all inputs to their native resolution). Which is better? I prefer DLP or LCOS over RP LCD, but that is a matter of personal preference.

Technology update for those of you not keeping track. All but one of these Sony LCD Rear Projection tvs are 1080p.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker /forum/post/0

Technology update for those of you not keeping track. All but one of these Sony LCD Rear Projection tvs are 1080p.

Nomenclature update fdisker. Only one of displays on the page that you linked to is an LCD rear projection set- and it is the one 720p set that you mentioned. The other 1080p sets are SXRD's which is Sony's name for the LCoS technology. One could argue that LCoS is a form of LCD, but it's really different.

HTH

·
UHD Addict
39,634 Posts
Get a DLp with LED lighting. You won't have a rainbow problem with that.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie /forum/post/0

Nomenclature update fdisker. Only one of displays on the page that you linked to is an LCD rear projection set- and it is the one 720p set that you mentioned. The other 1080p sets are SXRD's which is Sony's name for the LCoS technology. One could argue that LCoS is a form of LCD, but it's really different.

Nomenclature update? All of the sets I linked to are rear projection, period. You can even buy replacement projection lamps when the original goes bad. Yes, LCOS and DLP are very different from CRT rear projection but just because they're different doesn't mean you don't have a lamp at the back.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:

Nomenclature update? All of the sets I linked to are rear projection, period. You can even buy replacement projection lamps when the original goes bad. Yes, LCOS and DLP are very different from CRT rear projection but just because they're different doesn't mean you don't have a lamp at the back.

He's saying that they're not LCD .

First rule of hole-digging: when you're in one, stop.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Help him out guys. He knows enough to be dangerous.

LED lighted DLP's are still know to produce rainbows. The only way around rainbows is 3 chip DLP's which are currently only offered in projectors. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/0

LED lighted DLP's are still know to produce rainbows. The only way around rainbows is 3 chip DLP's which are currently only offered in projectors. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, the LED switching is much faster than a color wheel. The rainbow issue is going to be off the table.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi /forum/post/0

Ok. You're wrong.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/06/s...led-backlight/

Quote:
Samsung must realize those DLP bulbs don't last long enough and cost too much because the new 56-inch HL-S5679W DLP set uses LED lighting. Hey, Samsung, while you're under the hood, why not kill that color wheel too? Oh wait, they did that too with red, green and blue LEDs, which is killer because there's no gold at the end of that rainbow effect. The new tweaks give the HL-S5679W a sweet seven-second startup time and 20,000 hours of little lamp lives.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMatthias /forum/post/0

He's saying that they're not LCD .

First rule of hole-digging: when you're in one, stop.

No, he said they weren't rear projection.

Only one of displays on the page that you linked to is an LCD rear projection set- and it is the one 720p set that you mentioned.

They are all LCOS rear projection, not just the 720p set. What's the problem? Have I insulted the technology or something? Does everyone in this forum consider LCOS and/or DLP to be something other than rear projection. Is rear projection a dirty word? You guys are kooky

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:

No, he said they weren't rear projection.

Only one of displays on the page that you linked to is an LCD rear projection set- and it is the one 720p set that you mentioned.

They are all LCOS rear projection, not just the 720p set. What's the problem? Have I insulted the technology or something? Does everyone in this forum consider LCOS and/or DLP to be something other than rear projection. Is rear projection a dirty word? You guys are kooky

No fdisker, I'm not kooky- you're confused. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I was NOT saying that any of the displays on the page you linked were not rear projection. I was saying that only ONE of the sets was a LCD rear projection set. That ONE LCD rear projection set was 720p. The other displays on the page you linked to that were 1080p were SXRD (LCoS) rear projection sets- NOT LCD rear projection sets.

In your post you said:

Quote:

All but one of these Sony LCD Rear Projection tvs are 1080p.

That statement is incorrect. SXRD (LCoS) displays are not considered "LCD Rear Projection tvs" according to current generally accepted nomenclature. They are "rear projection", but they are not called "LCD". There were no 1080p rear projection LCD displays on the page that you linked.

Clearer now?

HTH

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:

They are all LCOS rear projection, not just the 720p set.

This statement is incorrect also. There are 5 displays on the page that you linked.

The first four are 1080p SXRD (LCoS) rear projection displays.

The fifth is a 720p LCD rear projection display.

LCoS rear projection sets and LCD rear projection sets are different animals fdisker, old chap.

Regards,

kelpie

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.