37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about two months i am wanting to spend about £2000 which is $3555

i am wanting a 42 inch if i can

i have seen Samsung LE40R51BX which is LCD

or

Panasonic TH42PV500WAL HDTV READY I THINK

Panasonic TH42PE50WAL

what is the best option for me, as in uk we dont have HDTV anyways but probs be nice to be ready for it :)

just dont know what to buy, people say LCD is better as u dont have to regass like u do with PLASMA

·
Super Moderator
21,384 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Plasma displays NEVER have to be 'regassed': that is a myth

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn myths lol

well whats the difference then, i just dont wana pay that much money and realise that LCD is better or vise versa

which models are good for 42"

i hear Panasonic plasmas are good

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so it seems to be plasma

what the best 42" u can get

i see people love Panasonic or they most popular

Panasonic TH42PV500WAL

Panasonic TH42PE50WAL

The above any good

oh and i live in the uk

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Afster, there are questions just like yours twice or three times each day. Just look through the threads of the last 2-3 days and you'll find all the answers you're looking for. Most of us are tired to answer the same question twice every day... :(

In short: LCD is better for computer usage and might have advantages in bright light. Plasma is usually better for home cinema, especially when being watched in dark rooms.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
im pretty much an lcd mark and lemme tell you, i walked into best buy last night and saw a 52" DLP and i was looking at lcds when i saw this set just yelling at me from across the room! such brightness, color saturation and sharpness. I about fell to my knees. Could DLP be the best of both worlds as far as plasma and lcd go? btw, do DLP sets burn in?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I think no burn in at all. I am also impressed with the price/performance of DLP. I'm gonna wait another year or two for a true 1080p set though. The 1080p sets on the market don't accept native 1080p signals now AFAIK. Being able to get huge screens and great PQ for the price of 42" plasmas is nice. DLP is maturing very nicely.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
For me, DLP still has a long way to go. I'm on my 2nd DLP, both have been Samsung, and I have experienced minor geometry errors, overscan that is inherent in DLP light engines, latency problems that make games unplayable, and a little screen noise. DLP technology is maturing nicely in terms of contrast and overall picture quality, but like every other technology, it isn't perfect. For all around usage (video games, computer, DVDs, and cable), I recommend flat panel LCD technology, as well as rear projection LCDs if you want to go bigger. For non-computer (some plasmas handle PC video well) and non-video game tasks, I feel that plasma is the way to go. DLP for me is something to get when you want a good, large picture when you aren't willing to go front projection or rear projection LCD.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I haven't heard anyone complain of these issues with the 2005 Sammys. Which models have you owned?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb
I haven't heard anyone complain of these issues with the 2005 Sammys. Which models have you owned?
I now own a Samsung HL-R5087W, and used to own the HL-P6163W until I sold it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
so dlp is a no go with gaming? i guess i better stick to my guns and go with the aquos in a month. Can lcd sets produce the screaming picture of dlp?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd
so dlp is a no go with gaming? i guess i better stick to my guns and go with the aquos in a month. Can lcd sets produce the screaming picture of dlp?
I hear that latency issues are only a problem with Samsung DLPs, but I don't know for sure. All other problems mentioned are inherent in all DLPs. I find that flat panel LCDs are worse than DLPs with 480i and 480p games picture quality wise, but they are nonetheless very impressive with all kinds of games. If you want to go DLP size with excellent picture quality for games, and reap the benefits of LCD technology, you might want to take a look at modern rear projection LCDTVs.

·
Registered
447 Posts

·
Banned
314 Posts
why would 480i or p even matter anymore?

ALL xbox games will be in 1080i or 720p, so why even both to consider what 480 looks like?

I mean unless you still care about an old console... which i dont know anyone who does

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBearsOwn
why would 480i or p even matter anymore?

ALL xbox games will be in 1080i or 720p, so why even both to consider what 480 looks like?

I mean unless you still care about an old console... which i dont know anyone who does
Many people still play Gamecube 480i and 480p games, and Xbox 480p games. Trust me, many still play these games and will continue to even if you don't.

·
Banned
314 Posts
Well my point is that most people looking to buy a NEW tv set now are thinking about xbox 360 and ps3

480 will not mean a damn on those systems if you have a hdtv

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Well my point is that most people looking to buy a NEW tv set now are thinking about xbox 360 and ps3

480 will not mean a damn on those systems if you have a hdtv
I was also thinking Xbox 360 and PS3 when I bought HD sets. However, the Gamecube will be out for a long time before Nintendo's next generation system is released. There are hints that Nintendo may not even support HD with their new system.

The Xbox 360 is said to not be backwards compatible with every game due to licensing issues, thus keeping people's interest in playing the original Xbox with 480p output.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
is the PS3 backwards compatible ?
So Sony says. Given their record in backwards compatibility, it should be.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.