Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm looking for a new TV, but I don't know if it should be plasma or LCD. The TV is going to be used for broadcast TV, movies (dvd) and computer (Internet browsing). What I would like to know is how readable the text will be and how much does the resolution of the display matters? On computer LCD you get the best picture if you use the native resolution, is this also the case with plasma?

THX

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hhb97b
Hi

The size will be either a 37" or 42" and the viewing distance will 3 - 5m.
The problem with using 37" and 42" plasmas as a computer monitor is that you cannot get an HD model with square pixels. ED models all have square pixels but they also have only 852x480 (or 853x480) resolution which is well below the average resolution of today's computer monitors, so you won't have the screen real estate you're accustomed to.

Of course, if a 1x1 pixel mapping is not critical for you, this may not matter. You can always use a non-native resolution. You just won't an "optimal" picture. But it seems to me it would make much more sense to use an LCD in this application. However, and this will depend heavily on which brand and screen size you choose, you may find that you could get a 50" HD plasma with a 1366x768 (or 1365x768) resolution for the same price as the LCD. The LCD will have a greater resolution however. So the decision may come down to a trade off of screen size vs. resolution. Now if 50" is way to big for you, then it looks like LCD is your best bet.

FWIW, my situation is similar to yours and I decided on the 50" plasma.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The problem I see for you using something that large for a monitor is resolution. Everything will be 3 times bigger than on a 17" for example but you won't have the advantage of displaying more windows like getting a larger computer monitor. Take for example the 30" Apple LCD monitor, it's 2560 x 1600, but take the similarly priced Sharp 32" LCD HDTV and it's only 1366x768. Then plasmas complicate the matter as noted above with rectangular pixels.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Text look nice and crisp on my panny over DVI (42) but as some noted above, since ED, not very usefull since not much real estate to work with, on screen.

I would not go for an ED panel if you need it for computer use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.