AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me waffle. Plasma or LCD? I was leaning on plasma but will I be less than satisfied with its placement? Here are pics of the typical viewing area. Daytime, overcast cloudy sitting on couch. Most of the time its sunny so ambient light was low. Free Willie on VHS. Not the best source, but one we will use from time to time. Mostly Direct TV, OTA local in HD, and regular DVD. There will be viewing time after dark as well, but as we get into spring the time is way less.

Note the reflections of the outside door, kitchen area, and such in the pics. They are always there, but I have grown used to them and put up with them since the TV was 100 bucks used 8 years ago.

Would these reflections be the same or worse with the plasma? I fear they will be. If they are, that would be a deal breaker on plasma for me. Some here say that plasma is a better quality, and I agree, but I cannot put up blackout shades. I enjoy the outside, sunlight and sunsets.

In home testing would be great but I went to purchase a samsung 42" 450 since the 09 was so cheap, but restock fees on return was 15%, the other place was out and the other place was 100.00 more than the others so I did not buy. In the stores, HH gregg, sears, BB, they all have issues with reflections in store so I favor the LCDs look in the stores. Any advice?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. My viewing area is moderately bright and my current CRT produces some reflections. I've always thought that as a rule of thumb that you ideally need a darker environment for a plasma to really look good (i.e. a home theater type of setup) and that an LCD is more suitable for a living room type of setting that is moderately bright to very bright.

I know that the mid-range and higher-end Panasonic models have an anti-reflective coating on the glass to limit glare and reflection. Based on my experience and knowledge I would say that an LCD might be more suitable for you even though I think plasmas produce slightly better general picture quality.

I'm still relatively new at this so I'm interested in hearing what other people might say especially about how well the anti-reflective coatings work.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williemon /forum/post/18305713

Call me waffle. Plasma or LCD? I was leaning on plasma but will I be less than satisfied with its placement? Here are pics of the typical viewing area. Daytime, overcast cloudy sitting on couch. Most of the time its sunny so ambient light was low. Free Willie on VHS. Not the best source, but one we will use from time to time. Mostly Direct TV, OTA local in HD, and regular DVD. There will be viewing time after dark as well, but as we get into spring the time is way less.

If daytime viewing comprises more than half your viewing time, seriously give thought to purchasing a matte screen LCD. Don't dismiss plasma though. A decent anti-reflective coating can make a plasma perform just fine in an environment with lots of ambient light (note thats ambient, not direct)

Quote:
Note the reflections of the outside door, kitchen area, and such in the pics. They are always there, but I have grown used to them and put up with them since the TV was 100 bucks used 8 years ago.

Would these reflections be the same or worse with the plasma? I fear they will be. If they are, that would be a deal breaker on plasma for me. Some here say that plasma is a better quality, and I agree, but I cannot put up blackout shades. I enjoy the outside, sunlight and sunsets.

A plasma without an anti-reflective coating will pretty much perform as your CRT did under those conditions. The reflections you got on your CRT will probably be the same with a non AR plasma. However a plasma with an anti-reflective coating should perform quite well under those circumstances as it doesn't appear as if there is a significant source of direct light on the tv, just a significant among of ambient light reflecting from the screen.

A matte screen LCD will perform the best under those circumstances though, but be aware that some LCD manufacturers (esp Sony and Samsung) have been putting glossy screens on many of their high-end displays in order to take advantage of the increase in contrast a glossy screen provides over a matte screen. Take that into consideration when looking at specific LCD models. However a glossy screen LCD does tend to have anti-reflectivity on par with the AR coating on panasonic plasmas. I have experience with a LN52A650 with a glossy screen in a room with a TON of ambient light and it performs quite well in that environment except for when the screen is very dark.

Quote:
In home testing would be great but I went to purchase a samsung 42" 450 since the 09 was so cheap, but restock fees on return was 15%, the other place was out and the other place was 100.00 more than the others so I did not buy. In the stores, HH gregg, sears, BB, they all have issues with reflections in store so I favor the LCDs look in the stores. Any advice?

If you favor LCD, check one out at home. Pretty much most LCD models from the major manufacturers since 2008 have great pictures. Find one that you like and bring it home. If you aren't super picky about perceived flaws in the picture, you'll probably like whichever one you bring home. Don't let the plasma fans put doubt in your head, however don't completely dismiss plasma. Their performance to price ratio cannot be overstated and one with a decent anti-reflective coating will probably serve you quite well.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
if your current CRT produces reflections you can live with a plasma with an AR filter will produce less pronounced reflections due to the AR filter.

the flip side though is that plasma's are pretty much flat and CRT's like yours are very dome shaped so its light sources directly behind your seating position that will appear on a Plasma and not windows/doors off to the left or right sides of the seated position, those areas will however produce reflections if your sitting at an off angle directly opposite of that position for obvious reasons

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Food for thought. Just this evening, at about 6:00 pm, we had the tv playing and the reflections could hardly be seen. Most viewing will be done after 6:00 pm so I just cant dismiss plasma yet.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you can put up with the hassle, bring home the one you want from BB or similar. They have a 30-day return policy if it doesn't work out. Then try the other one. If you don't like it either, or not at that price from that source, take it back, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by williemon /forum/post/18307217

Food for thought. Just this evening, at about 6:00 pm, we had the tv playing and the reflections could hardly be seen. Most viewing will be done after 6:00 pm so I just cant dismiss plasma yet.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I have similar daytime viewing conditions and my Pio 8G Kuro does just fine. As long as you don't have massive bay windows directly across from your TV - which it doesn't look like you do - a plasma would perform well in your room if that's what you want.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
First of all, I'd fully expect BOTH a modern LCD AND PDP to be better peformers than that JVC mirror you have in your living room.

Second, your room certainly appears LESS bright than my E, W, and southern-exposed living room, where BOTH PDP and LCD have performed admirably 95+% of the time.

Finally, seeing LCD's only advantages over PDP are brighter/matte screens (and it appears either will work in your scenario to me), it would seem that choosing a PDP and its better motion handling, deeper blacks, and better off-axis viewing would be logical.

The only two instances where LCD is a superior choice are:

1. In a room where an INORDINATE, even excessive, amount of ambient light is present without any means to control it.

OR:

2. A "business" or "always on" scenario where burn-in is a reasonable fear, due to the daily, elongated use of static images, tickers, etc.

If neither of those conditions exist, I see no reason for a consumer to choose an LCD and deny themselves the clear advantages PDPs still hold over all but the most expensive (and even then, still in some areas) LCDs.

Last, I'm aware of the "rising blacks" of the 2009 Panny plasma's, but this still doesn't discount their superior motion and off axis viewing...I have yet to examine some of these "rising black" levels and see how they compare with all but the most expensive, high end LCDs, straightaway. Knowing the facts in whole is important to make the best, comprehensive, decision.

James

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too was worried about the same thing. I would say my environment is similar as the CRT RPTV I had where my Samsung PDP now sets gets a lot of light during the day and the "glare/reflections" are minimal. Not saying they aren't there as if you look you can find them but they do not wash out the screen like before. I normally do not watch until evening, kids do during the day when they are home. I get some on the weekends but not much.

My biggest thing is my ceiling fan that has 3 lights on it, I get more "glare/reflection" from it then anything. Most of the time I turn them off and use the lights over the fireplace for light in the room. But even with them on it doesn't distract from the picture.

I'm not pushing plasma just my experience as I'm equally sure I would have been just as happy with an LCD (which I did heavily consider) but for the cost the plasma was much cheaper. And I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrin /forum/post/18308657

If you can put up with the hassle, bring home the one you want from BB or similar. They have a 30-day return policy if it doesn't work out. Then try the other one. If you don't like it either, or not at that price from that source, take it back, too

This is the best thing a person can do who never owned a flatscreen..

I do not believe its just about pro's and con's and than make a choice,some people are more into lcd,some people are more into plasma,some people like both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't go with a cheap Plasma set, in my opinion you need to spend more to get a decent Plasma TV. So my vote goes to LCD this time

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDouglasLJr /forum/post/18318417

If one is going from a CRT to any newer set the picture is going to be an improvement, even a lower end PDP.

Quite true. Going from a 480i CRT to a high def display of any type is an improvement. As long as the display isn't an ultra-cheap LCD model, any pick would pretty much be fine.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggaine /forum/post/18318075

I wouldn't go with a cheap Plasma set, in my opinion you need to spend more to get a decent Plasma TV. So my vote goes to LCD this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDouglasLJr /forum/post/18318417

If one is going from a CRT to any newer set the picture is going to be an improvement, even a lower end PDP.

Well this all varies and depends on how low end you go with plasma i suppose

I will tell you my own personal experience

700 dollar budget for a living room TV (before tax)

Toshiba 40xv645u 1080p 120hz LCD vs Panny 50X1 720p plasma at 10 feet viewing distance

out of the 3 people in our house only 1 out of the 3 thought the 40" was big enough, myself and my brother said screw that lets go get the plasma.

after installing the plasma 3/3 agree the 720p looks about 10x better than the cheap 120hz LCD does that was not only smaller but cost the same amount of money

going below that model however does damage picture quality somewhat due to poorer processing and no AR filter on the screen and had the viewing distance been 4 feet closer the 40" would have won because 720p's not good enough at that distance but for our application the 50X1 was a clear winner and the best bang for our buck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just bought the samsung c450 plasma 42". Is it an improvement over CRT? Yes and no. PQ is not that big of an improvement. With HD material, it looks as good as the CRT with SD material, only bigger. SD looks worse on the 42" than the 27" CRT, but I knew it would. It is far from unwatchable though. I am impressed with how well it does with the SD. Could any plasma actually be better than the CRT? Hard to say at this point. Id love to try an AB test to see if I can tell differences.

Im still glad that I got it though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts