AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought that Plasma were the best picture quality, black levels and everything else, but now i am not so sure. I know that manufactures would use LCDs for smaller screens and Plasmas for bigger screens because of cost and so forth. But with a lot of LCDs get up into the 50" and 60" range what is better a 50" 720p plasma or a 50" 1080p LCD at the same price point. Who would have the better picture quality, color, black levels and so on.


PLasma
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142299476010


LCD
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1155069969280


Also who will win in the future OLEDs or SEDs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
SED is probably DOA, OLED are still challenged. Everyone on this site will have powerful opinions regarding LCD vs Plasma. Lots of comparison numbers, lots of issues, etc.


Chevy versus Ford.


In my opinion, plasma still have a technical issue with resolution because they are size contraint on the actual size of the sub-pixel, they can only make them so small. All other issue are openly discussed and confusion abounds.


Happy hunting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
It's just not that easy anymore is it?


I would say that LCD or Plasma go for the 1080. Yes there are not that many sources of 1080p out there, but there will be and despite all of the people who tell you that you can't tell the difference beyond 6' or 7' you will know that it is not 1080p. BTW those are the same people who complain about the color temp and such, get real I say.


Vote with your eyes. Yes LCD is making improvements and it is getting harder to tell just what is better now days, LCD or Plasma. Give it anther 6 months to a year and who knows.


The point is to go out and demo sets, have fun. Take your own dvd's to play on their sets to test with. If possible take your own dvd player as well. If they wont let you do it your own way walk out.


OLED has a future, don't know if it will show up in a set just yet, but there is a future there for OLED. SED........ well who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew911tt /forum/post/0


I always thought that Plasma were the best picture quality, black levels and everything else, but now i am not so sure. I know that manufactures would use LCDs for smaller screens and Plasmas for bigger screens because of cost and so forth. But with a lot of LCDs get up into the 50" and 60" range what is better a 50" 720p plasma or a 50" 1080p LCD at the same price point. Who would have the better picture quality, color, black levels and so on.


PLasma
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142299476010


LCD
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1155069969280


Also who will win in the future OLEDs or SEDs?

A good question that a lot of people are asking. I have an opinion backed by a lot of critical observation.


The only reason to get LCD in lieu of plasma is if and only if you have a very bright room and cannot, or are not willing to, resonably control light reflections. The room doen't have to be dark at all just bad reflections reasonably controlled. Lots of ways to do this in the daytime.


The only reason to have to get 1080p for a 50" display is if your viewing distance is so close that SDE intrudes into the picture. SDE, screen door effect, is seen as a faint cross hatch from the black lines between pixels. The critical distance beyond which this is not a problem varies with each person based on their eyesight. For me it disappears completely between 7' and 8'. Beyond this distance, 1080p is a waste as my eyes cannot resolve the increased resolution.


Fortunately for you, 50" is the sweet spot in price for plasma displays. There are a lot of excellent 50" plasma displays. My choice is NEC followed by Pioneer, Panny, and catching up fast is Samsung. Properly adjusted any of these will give you an excellent picture. Once purchased, adjustment or better yet calibration is the key to PQ.


Cheers,



Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
Well at 40" lcd (1080) vs 42" plasma (768) and b-ray 1080p source did almost nothing when compared to each other. At 50 " it may but it will be minimal unless you are using it as a PC monitor close up. Remember the 768 plasma (at least my panny) takes a 1080p feed via HDMI and scales it and you end up with a beautiful picture. As for the bright room be careful here. I have a very bright open room and yes there is some reflections (mostly when it is off so just keep it on) but the lcd has problems here as well. It absorbed the light and washed out the screen. I took the 1080p lcd back and kept the plasma. Oh and yes the plasma has a better overall picture for movies and HD sports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
LCD vs. Plasma


Well, in the Philippines, LCD is the dominant one. The three plasma makers in RP(Panasonic, Pioneer and Hitachi) are having trouble competing against the big leagues of Sony, Samsung, Sharp, JVC and Philips taking on the top 5 spots of the local flat panel market.


Also, there tends to be more awareness on LCD and PR favors it atm.


Right now, I prefer LCD over the latter but I'm willing to try a newer-gen plasma just to be fair to the rival tech.............once they improve power consumption.


Now as for OLED vs. SED, it's OLED hands-down with NO QUESTION about it.



Laser TVs???


Well, as long as these are Flat Panel sets (and not fatass RPTV/CRT ones), then I think that Laser TVs will have a future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts
The power consumption is not that much more on average. Remember plasma uses its power based upon content unlike lcd which is pretty much a fixed draw. Depending on what you use it for I actually had lower power usage on some movies (a lot of dark scenes) than the lcd. The panny was cooler to the touch than the sony lcd so I was surprised (another myth vaporized - just like BI).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Not so fast on myth busting. The LCD uses fluorescent lighting a very efficient form of light. There is a lot of luminace per watt with CCFLs. What you are noticing is that 80% of its efficiency goes up as heat. There may be heat but the relative power draw is low compared to its lumenance output.


Luminance per watt draw on a typical screen goes to LCD versus plasma.


Yes, a black screen on a plasma will consume less than the LCD but who watches a black screen.


This not to say plasmas are bad. They still look better than LCD.


DB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
I see. Being in display engineering, I look at worse case. Plasma tops out at about 300 watts and LCD tops out at about 150 watts. It may sound bad but as you point out, plasma will only draw that one the worse case and between the two, it is only a 100 watt light bulb difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS /forum/post/0


I see. Being in display engineering, I look at worse case. Plasma tops out at about 300 watts and LCD tops out at about 150 watts. It may sound bad but as you point out, plasma will only draw that one the worse case and between the two, it is only a 100 watt light bulb difference.

Really? Being in engineering, I'd think that you would try to post a little more accurately.


How about this: in a 47" LCD (westinghouse lvm-47w1) operation power consumption is 290W.


A my 50" plasma (pioneer 5070) has a peak operational consumption of 351W. Of course, that is with a white screen in super torch mode & I don't find myself watching a white screen very often. During normal prime time viewing, I find that my display runs about 225W.


But let's stick with the max numbers since someone might like to look at a white screen with their settings turned as bright as possible. Let's now account for the difference in panel size.


The plasma max draw is about 0.33W/in^2. The lcd power draw is about 0.52 W/in^2. So the LCD would draw significanly more power if it were a similar size screen, of couse that's not quite fair since power may not necessarly scale up linearly.


In any case, let's call it a wash if the person had the same size screens & watched only white screens with setting maxed. In real life, the plasma will come out ahead.


In general, some models are worse than others (I have no idea on the LCD, that was the first one that had the power listed in cnet in the size I was looking for). But to try to state that in the same screen size, the edge will always go to LCD is wrong. In fact, I'd bet in real life viewing conditions, the edge would usually go to the plasma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Fact is, I never considered that large of display. I was more in the 42" zone. I know that most of the power draw on the LCD is the backlight, which is fixed no matter what is on the display. The video draw is max with a checkerboard of black and 50% gray. With plasma, it use to be that all on (white) is the max. Is that still the case?


But agreed, it is a wash in typical applications showing "real" video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I would recommend using one of the sponsors instead of BB. But, that's just me. And you might just be pointing out the sets.


I think Plasma is the way to go unless you hate reflections. I don't have an LCD but you can read all about their weaknesses around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Plus if you play games like I do and pretty much all I watch is ESPN you have to worry about burn in. It seems like the Plasma owners or from what I read in the Panasonic thread that its just to many things to do to keep your plasma healthy. Maybe you do get a superb picture but not watching a channel for too long, zooming in on some movies after a while to avoid black bars..just seems like too much when Im just trying to enjoy a show and not like "O, hold on, let me zoom in real quick to avoid black bars", and "how long have we been playing these games, lets turn it off for awhile." If I'm wrong please explain how these arent correct or annoying?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLion /forum/post/0


Plus if you play games like I do and pretty much all I watch is ESPN you have to worry about burn in. It seems like the Plasma owners or from what I read in the Panasonic thread that its just to many things to do to keep your plasma healthy. Maybe you do get a superb picture but not watching a channel for too long, zooming in on some movies after a while to avoid black bars..just seems like too much when Im just trying to enjoy a show and not like "O, hold on, let me zoom in real quick to avoid black bars", and "how long have we been playing these games, lets turn it off for awhile." If I'm wrong please explain how these arent correct or annoying?

"To many things to do to keep your plasma healthy"? I wish people who do not own or have owned a type of set would not write about it. I at least had both lcd (sony 1080p) and plasma (panny). I have 3 sons who have friends over all the time playing xbox 360 for 4-5 hours and then getting up in the morning and playing wii for 3-4 more. My wife and I watch movies, DVR recordings, SD & HD content. Never treated it any different during the first 100 or 1000 hours. The only thing I did was change the settings to my preference and I do stretch (using Just mode) SD content. HD & 2.35:1 movies are played as is and no IR/BI. That being said I did like the lcd- a lot! It was better at some things but not movies & HD content and sports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG /forum/post/0


It's just not that easy anymore is it?


I would say that LCD or Plasma go for the 1080. Yes there are not that many sources of 1080p out there, but there will be and despite all of the people who tell you that you can't tell the difference beyond 6' or 7' you will know that it is not 1080p. BTW those are the same people who complain about the color temp and such, get real I say.


Reply: So you are saying the projection users 1080P vs 720P thread, Cnets Is 1080P worth it artical (1080P vs 720P), and ISF calibraters, and many users in the AVS forum who claim black levels, contrast, color saturation, and color accuracy are"MUCH" more important than resolution alone, and that many 720P displays show a equal or better quality picture, than many comparable 1080P displays, and that when the 1080P is better, it is usually so slight that you have to sit very close to see any improvement at all.


Vote with your eyes. Yes LCD is making improvements and it is getting harder to tell just what is better now days, LCD or Plasma. Give it anther 6 months to a year and who knows.


Reply: Agree both LCD and Plasma and RP or steadily improving each year.


The point is to go out and demo sets, have fun. Take your own dvd's to play on their sets to test with. If possible take your own dvd player as well. If they wont let you do it your own way walk out.


Reply: Great advice, I would add video game console too, if youn intend to do that alot to check for response time, ghosting, IR, etc.


OLED has a future, don't know if it will show up in a set just yet, but there is a future there for OLED. SED........ well who knows.

Reply: Both techs have tremendous potentail, but may be pricey at first, if and when they make it to market,


Definitely compare , have fun, and read actual users reviews.

All display types have pluses and minuses.

Get the one that fits "Your Needs" and as many pluses and as few minuses as you can.


Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLion /forum/post/0


Plus if you play games like I do and pretty much all I watch is ESPN you have to worry about burn in. It seems like the Plasma owners or from what I read in the Panasonic thread that its just to many things to do to keep your plasma healthy. Maybe you do get a superb picture but not watching a channel for too long, zooming in on some movies after a while to avoid black bars..just seems like too much when Im just trying to enjoy a show and not like "O, hold on, let me zoom in real quick to avoid black bars", and "how long have we been playing these games, lets turn it off for awhile." If I'm wrong please explain how these arent correct or annoying?

Well, they're incorrect because you really don't have to do them. The only thing I would say is that if you either watch A LOT of SD (4:3) material or game A LOT, then you may have to worry about it.


My wife and kids know nothing about burn in. I've never mentioned it, asked them to change something, etc. I allow them to treat the plasma the same way they treat the LCDs and CRTs. The exception being that we have a dedicated LCD for gaming & they have to get my permission if they want to pull the game console over to the plasma. So far, no burn in. 6-8 hours of letterboxed movies in a row, no IRT/burn in. 5 hours of friends over for madden 06 with fixed scoreboard, followed by 1 hour espn before I got to check it... no IR/burn in. My wife will watch CNN 12 hours straight if something big is happening. No IR/burn in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by why2not /forum/post/0


Well, they're incorrect because you really don't have to do them. The only thing I would say is that if you either watch A LOT of SD (4:3) material or game A LOT, then you may have to worry about it.


My wife and kids know nothing about burn in. I've never mentioned it, asked them to change something, etc. I allow them to treat the plasma the same way they treat the LCDs and CRTs. The exception being that we have a dedicated LCD for gaming & they have to get my permission if they want to pull the game console over to the plasma. So far, no burn in. 6-8 hours of letterboxed movies in a row, no IRT/burn in. 5 hours of friends over for madden 06 with fixed scoreboard, followed by 1 hour espn before I got to check it... no IR/burn in. My wife will watch CNN 12 hours straight if something big is happening. No IR/burn in.


Which Plasma's do ya'll have? I agree that Plasma's look better when I go to the store besides a couple of Sharps ( dont want banding), are most plasma's now kind of IR/burn-in safe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLion /forum/post/0


Which Plasma's do ya'll have? I agree that Plasma's look better when I go to the store besides a couple of Sharps ( dont want banding), are most plasma's now kind of IR/burn-in safe?

I own a pioneer 5070HD. I would say they are resistant. If you take them out of vivid mode & at least one person in the house is aware of the issues, you'll be fine. However, all you watch is (for example) CBS & there's always a logo, you're eventually going to end up with an issue unless you alternate content.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top