AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate has an old Philips SV20 Hopper 800 x 600 LCD projector which the bulb died.

The dilemma is weather to replace the lamp at $935 AUD. Or to get a new unit. (ie an X1 for $1925 AUD)

The risk is after replacing the lamp tha something breaks in the Philips unit (a bit over 4000hrs) Which then may bring the total cost to a new X1 with 2year warrenty.

I have read about LCD rear and front pro's having issues with LCD panel "wear" and defuser "wear" after many hours of use. How common is this, and is the repair expensive?

Any suggestions/ideas would be great.

D

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
LCD panels do not "wear". Most dead pixels are dead from day one or quickly die (or get "stuck") within a few weeks of service. Unless there is a bomb inside the PJ you do not have a "defuser";). If you are referring to the polarizer panels (possibly calling them "diffusers"), heat-induced damage over time is possible but not 100% assured. If all looks fine after 4000 hrs of use I wouldn't worry. I'm not familiar with that particular PJ, but for the Panasonic LCD PJs replacing the polarizer plates is not too complicated and the part is relatively cheap (under $100 US).

I only have 1000 hours on my Panasonic PT-L200U but if I had to choose between replacing the bulb today or buying the current state-of-the-art PJ, I would go for a new bulb and wait till the affordable 1920x1080 PJs arrive in the future.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He said it sounded like a bomb when then bulb went, so maybe he does need a diffuser :) haha

So its only the polerising panels that die (i think thats what i've heard people have dramas with in rearpro LG DLP direct views also).

I'll let him know. As you say, nothings a certainty, but i guess it is a gamble vs 2year warrenty and "rated" 4000hrs of an X1, not ot mention the dramatic picture improvement.

He might phone up and get pricing on such parts/service (ie polerisers)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.