AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have felt the need to turn my red control up significantly higher than than my blue or green controls to calibrate the picture on my pj. Does this mean that my red LCD panel will "age" faster than the other two panels?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Could be a number of things ...

-Lamp dimming due to age, red shades becoming more effected.

-Cable wear.

-Screen could need cleaning, causing discolored appearance of red.

-Red LCD panel could simply be dirty.

This is just a short list.

Although a single panel could/would/should wear faster than the others ... I wouldn't be too concerned until other things are ruled out.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ericbres
Could be a number of things ...

-Lamp dimming due to age, red shades becoming more effected.

-Cable wear.

-Screen could need cleaning, causing discolored appearance of red.

-Red LCD panel could simply be dirty.

This is just a short list.

Although a single panel could/would/should wear faster than the others ... I wouldn't be too concerned until other things are ruled out.
I read his question differently. I thought he was wondering if his red panel would age more rapidly because he is boosting red. As such I just thought it was a silly question since LCD panels do not really "age" per se (unless they are being tortured by TI engineers:)).

GanChan: Here is a simple explanation of LCD technology. Each pixel in the LCD panels is either "on" (allowing light to pass through) or "off" (blocking light from passing through). There are no moving parts, unlike in DLP where there are zillions of tiny hinged mirrors, so there is nothing to physically wear out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
"there is nothing to physically wear out"

Actually that's not entirety true. The polarizer panels (1 for each color LCD panel of which there are 3) in an LCD projector can, over time, be affected by the UV light from the lamp and cause the polarizer panel itself to discolor. Heat is also a catalyst when this happens. But, if it happens at all, it is usually the blue polarizer that breaks down first.

Back to the question, I doubt that turning up the red gain would have any effect on the panels longevity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.