AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying an LCD HDTV, and figured this is the best place to ask. Feel free to move or delete if this in the wrong area

A few criteria I have for the set I'm going to choose:
1080p support

32-42" in size

at least 2 component & 2 HDMI

$1200 or less, some what lenient on this though

Its going to be in a rather small room, 25x25 with about 5-6 feet between the TV and the couch it'll be viewed from. The room also has a Simplicity brand VESA mount on the wall which supports 32-60" size TVs. The lighting is pretty basic in here with only one lamp dead center in the roof w/ two CFL lights and a window across from where the TV will be mounted.

I'd like it to be purchasable at Costco if at all possible for their extremely good return policy and warranty extension. Plus they don't hire people to hassle you into buying TVs from show rooms such as Circuit City, etc.

I plan on using it mostly for Xbox 360 via Component for games & DVD playback, and Xbox Media Center via component also. I may get HD TV feeds at some point down the road, and an upscaling DVD player isn't out of the question either (unless the 360 does that, which I'm not 100% on). Plus hooking it up via VGA or DVI-HDMI to a PC isn't out of the question.

My brothers 42" Sceptre from Costco is on the wall mount right now, and it looks quite nice. I did notice last night though that its blacks aren't that good and that it doesn't support full Dolby Digital out (also planning on buying a receiver and 5.1), but for its price its probably not such a big deal I'm guessing

I was looking at the 37" Sharp Aquos that Costco will be getting in around March 10th, but the wait is kinda killer.

After reading the PC Mag HDTV "Shoppers Super Guide" a Vizio VP42 Plasma @ $1099 doesn't sound so bad...but they mention that LCD handle high altitudes better (living at 3500~ feet) would this be an issue? Another problem is that it doesn't support 1080p according to the article. But the plasmas ability to replicate blacks and handle movement sounds like a step up over LCD but most are so expensive they are out of the price range I'm willing to pay.

So I'm just wondering what the people of AVS would suggest a person in my situation should purchase and from where?

Thanks in advanced for the advice

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Plasma does have issues at high altitudes - likely to cause buzzing and other artifacts. Vizio Plasma is the worst PDP I've ever seen and much too heavy for it's size - to my eyes and the CC Associate it belonged in the dumpster. I cannot reference the Vizio LCD though. Vizio is a building of others parts they are not truly an OEM they rebadge others products and produce zero glass. IMO your getting a previous gen product and if you doubt it compare the spec's sometime and you'll be reading the specs from previous gen models of the leaders in the industry and a Sony 720P 40" S3000 will wipe the floor of the Vizio 1080P because the Sony is a ten bit panel with ten bit processing while the Vizio is 8 bit.

Sharp D64 42" or Toshiba has the customer support you need and you can get a free Blu-Ray player with it with many vendors also. Is Costco the only store in your region? That sort of limits your choices.

Check forum Sponsor Value Electronics who has both the Sharp and the Toshiba models with bonus freebies like BD Player or HD Player, calibration, cables. Rules prohibit linking though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thanks for the info.

Strange to hear that about the Vizio, but I always looked at them as a lesser quality company and I've heard that both them and Sceptre are rebranded parts.

Sharp and Toshiba on the other hand a trusted brands, or at least seem so to me.

And its not that Costco is the only store in the region, but that they just are so willing to take a product back no questions asked and give a 2 year warranty to all TV's out the door.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferliage /forum/post/12889393

Ah thanks for the info.

Strange to hear that about the Vizio, but I always looked at them as a lesser quality company and I've heard that both them and Sceptre are rebranded parts.

Sharp and Toshiba on the other hand a trusted brands, or at least seem so to me.

And its not that Costco is the only store in the region, but that they just are so willing to take a product back no questions asked and give a 2 year warranty to all TV's out the door.

If you're in N. California, you should be fairly close to a Fry's store. Now and then they have the 4061 on sale for close to that price. Great LCD TV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
60 miles from the Oregon border, waaaay north in a pretty unpopulated area. I'm not sure if Redding, California has a Frys or not but I'll keep an eye out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clau /forum/post/12890349

If you're in N. California, you should be fairly close to a Fry's store. Now and then they have the 4061 on sale for close to that price. Great LCD TV.

They do have an extremely good deal going on at the moment with free shipping, thanks for the tip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anybody vouch for the quality of Fry's return policy?

How about the dead pixel chance on the Samsung 4061 if there is one?

How good is the Toshiba 37HL67 or the Sharp Aquos LC-37D62U?

Out of those two which is better?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts