AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about a Sony Rear Projection LCD and am wondering about extended warranties and Pixel loss.

(I am also considering a Toshibo or Samsung DLP)

Actually, I am wondering about loosing pixels in general (not too familiar with this technology).

So my questions are:

1. Are these sets likely to loose pixels on the screen?

and...

2. If they do, is this covered under warrantee by the manufacturer?

and...

3. Is this covered under extended warrantee?

I curently own a Toshiba Cinema Series 50". I'm happy with it and have had no problems. The discussions on this site suggest that there are issues with all the newer technologies and when we are talking about $3K, I get a bit nervous.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I had no visible stuck pixels for over a year, then a red cluster developed in the middle of the screen (3-4 pixels together).

I haven't called the warrantor yet. I figure, either they will not fix it (in which case I have to practice getting used to it) ... or they will fix it. If they do fix it, then the longer I wait, I end up with an "old" tv with a new light engine.

For warranty coverage, it varies from mf'r to mf'r, from color to color, also depends on location and quantity.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Acura - they'll fix it... or they won't fix it? How do you figure that? :)

I've had my GWIII for almost two years now, and it has developed no color blotches, stuck pixels, and the LCD has not changed its color properties at all (the fictional "browning" myth perpetrated by TI.)

Just a FWIW individual story. Consensus seems to be that panels developing new stuck pixels over time is rare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.