AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a Samsung 32" LCD (LNR329DX) at a viewing distance of about 12 feet. So, needless to say, I'm due for an upgrade! I have been looking at a few models, trying to keep under my limit of $1700 pre-tax and set on a 46" TV. I was close to going out to purchase the Samsung UN7100 today, but after reading about the negatives associated with the LED side-lighting thing, I decided that the auto-dimming LED may be a better choice, should I decide to go with an LED set. I then looked at the LG model, but read some negatives about the sound-sync issues. I also looked at the Samsung 46B750, which looks like a fantastic TV for the money, and since I'm not terribly concerned with having something super-slim, I could potentially go with this CCFL-lit screen.

With that said, I'm wondering whether it makes sense to wait another month or so before purchasing. If Samsung is releasing new models (I have no idea whether they are), wouldn't that push the UN8500 closer to my price range? Or, would the B750 become even cheaper, or just become more scarce?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on whether to pull the trigger now, or wait a bit.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,500 Posts
The Olympics sales are about over. The sales now are mostly model year change-over related. But in general prices of TVs are still coming down, but somewhat slowly. Waiting only one more month will not help, except with a discontinued model.

I guess you are limited to 46 inches. Otherwise, with your buget you could get a very nice 55 inch set.

The single biggest regret people have is not buying the biggest they can afford and that fits their viewing room. At 12 feet you just might be able to benefit from 1080P, although with the chart floating around, the full benefits of a 55 inch 1080P won't be fully visible. A 46" or 47" at 12 feet, 1080P isn't visible.

I like the Vizio 551/552

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
manufacturers come out with new models to avoid significant price drops

you are better off catching a sale rather than waiting

my newest set costs the same now as it did 6 months ago when i got it on sale

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the largest I can go would be 52", so perhaps the 52B750? It's $100 over my price range, so I'd have to suck it up a bit. Would that significanty improve the image quality from my viewing distance, compared with that of a 46" TV?

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingKids /forum/post/18205277

It looks like the largest I can go would be 52", so perhaps the 52B750? It's $100 over my price range, so I'd have to suck it up a bit. Would that significanty improve the image quality from my viewing distance, compared with that of a 46" TV?

The extra 6 inches, from 46 to 52 is very significant. 28% more screen area with a 52. The impact of the bigger set will be significant. The 52B750 has Excellent picture quality with both HD and SD sources.

Well worth an extra $100.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingKids /forum/post/18205277

You can actually get it for less than your price range limit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i've heard of a couple/few people on here getting a 46" xbr8 on clearance at best buy for around that...it might be worth asking...

otherwise, the 52" b750's a great choice...

·
Registered
104 Posts
The consensus I've seen reading this forum is that size > new technology. It'd be better to get a 52" non-local dimming LED or good CCFL TV than a 46" with local dimming.

The Samsung B750's are probably some of the best CCFL TVs right now in terms of picture quality, uniformity from what I've read. The only real drawback I've read about Samsung LCDs in general, including the B750, is their input lag, even in gaming mode. If you don't play games or don't mind an extra 30+ ms or so in lag in gaming mode when playing games like Rock Band or first person shooters, I'd get the 52" of this TV. Also, I expect the B750 to get more scarce as it's last years model and probably discontinued at this point. There is no 52" model in Samsung's 2010 lineup, so there's a bigger price gap between 46's and 55's they are selling, and I wouldn't expect any GREAT deals on 2010 models for at least a few months....but some of those 2009 closeouts like the B750 can be had at attractive prices.

I'm in almost the same boat as you, with a similar budget, but have time on my side. I considered the Samsung B750, but am now actually leaning towards a Sharp LC52LE700UN, because of the input lag on the B750. The Sharp can be had for around $1700, is a highly energy efficient LED backlit set (but NO local dimming), and supposedly has pretty good blacks once calibrated. There's a forum dedicated to it that you can read through if interested.

One more note, pretty much all LCDs have some sort of quality or uniformity problems of one type or another. Sony has clouding on a number of models. Samsung has input lag and flashlight issues on their 2009 LED side-lit sets, and the panel lottery on a lot of the lower to mid end CCFLs (the B750 seems to be one of the best units as far as not having these issues, though). The Sharp 700UN models have had a few issues with buzzing noises and backlight issues on a few units. As such, my intent is to buy local at Tiger Direct or ABT, since I can at least take the TVs back if I'm unhappy with them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
my 2 32"s were $500 1 year ago. now they are $350ish. i am in the market for a 37". they are about $500ish. but i have heard of them cheaper. so i am waiting.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/18207099

The consensus I've seen reading this forum is that size > new technology. It'd be better to get a 52" non-local dimming LED or good CCFL TV than a 46" with local dimming.

The Samsung B750's are probably some of the best CCFL TVs right now in terms of picture quality, uniformity from what I've read. The only real drawback I've read about Samsung LCDs in general, including the B750, is their input lag, even in gaming mode. If you don't play games or don't mind an extra 30+ ms or so in lag in gaming mode when playing games like Rock Band or first person shooters, I'd get the 52" of this TV. Also, I expect the B750 to get more scarce as it's last years model and probably discontinued at this point. There is no 52" model in Samsung's 2010 lineup, so there's a bigger price gap between 46's and 55's they are selling, and I wouldn't expect any GREAT deals on 2010 models for at least a few months....but some of those 2009 closeouts like the B750 can be had at attractive prices.

I'm in almost the same boat as you, with a similar budget, but have time on my side. I considered the Samsung B750, but am now actually leaning towards a Sharp LC52LE700UN, because of the input lag on the B750. The Sharp can be had for around $1700, is a highly energy efficient LED backlit set (but NO local dimming), and supposedly has pretty good blacks once calibrated. There's a forum dedicated to it that you can read through if interested.

One more note, pretty much all LCDs have some sort of quality or uniformity problems of one type or another. Sony has clouding on a number of models. Samsung has input lag and flashlight issues on their 2009 LED side-lit sets, and the panel lottery on a lot of the lower to mid end CCFLs (the B750 seems to be one of the best units as far as not having these issues, though). The Sharp 700UN models have had a few issues with buzzing noises and backlight issues on a few units. As such, my intent is to buy local at Tiger Direct or ABT, since I can at least take the TVs back if I'm unhappy with them.

Good luck.

I have the B750 and we just played PS3 CODMF no lag and teh picture was awesome..

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
LCD TV prices and TV Prices in general have dropped pretty dramatically in the past year and right now last years models are being sold at rock bottom prices to get rid of them in favor for the 2010 models that are currently showing up in stores.

don't expect 2010 models to sell for the same or even less than 2009 models are right now because that is very unlikely given the typical price trend with TV's every year

by the 2nd half of this year and esp into the end of this year is when you will see nice sale prices start popping up and once again at the start of 2011 you can expect stores to put all the 2010 models on closeout at rock bottom prices to get rid of them.

if your really want to wait a year you may see 2010 models with equal features from the same brand as 2009 models today at lower prices than they are but i doubt it will be by all that much.

if you want to buy now and get the best bang for you buck i would seriously look into and consider plasma, its superior to most LCD's in many ways and is always cheaper than models that can compare with the plasma in performance.

you may have reasons why you want an LCD but many of plasma's downsides are blown out of proportion

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpiteo /forum/post/18207260

I have the B750 and we just played PS3 CODMF no lag and teh picture was awesome..

then your not sensitive to input lag or your not playing the game online.

if you had an input lag free (or close to lag free) TV/Display you will feel the input lag that your B750 most definitely has big time.

your TV delays the picture displayed in game mode by at minimum 40ms and as much as 120ms with the wrong picture settings/resolution input to the TV that much i can guarantee you.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Frito

I use a Vizio LCD 42" and dont notice any lag.

I think that most gamers who invest in a 360 or PS3 will use a LCD.

Since most are using a lcd, wouldn't we all have the same amount of lag which would ultimately even things out?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE /forum/post/18207606

Frito

I use a Vizio LCD 42" and dont notice any lag.

I think that most gamers who invest in a 360 or PS3 will use a LCD.

Since most are using a lcd, wouldn't we all have the same amount of lag which would ultimately even things out?

no because there are LCD's out there with nearly no lag like most panasonic's

then there are some that have low lag (20-30ms) the majority however have 40-50+ input lag (sony and samsungs primarily but other brands do as well)

you vizio may have low lag because they often use LG made IPS panels that perform very good with lag but this will depend on your model, the settings its set to and if your playing the game at your panel's native resolution or not.

with the wrong settings almost any LCD HDTV has massive input lag, my panasonic is an exception to that rule because i cannot make it lag more than 16ms and that was only by giving it a 720p input rather than 1080p at 1080p its got pretty much no lag

This matters to me more than other people because i use my TV as a PC monitor and play PC games on it, PC FPS gamers are generally of a higher skill level (not to be mean or anything but it all started on the PC and the mouse and keyboard is superior to a gamepad with FPS games)

people using PC LCD's have zero to ~8 ms input lag TOPS and if i've got an equal or higher ping than they do and my TV's adding 30-40 ms input lag i might as well not play because i got no chance with a latency of 100-140 once internet lag has been added to the TV's lag

the same thing happens on console FPS games played online but the difference is the interface is often dumbed down and you have no idea what you ping is before joining a game/server

·
Registered
542 Posts
[the majority however have 40-50+ input lag (sony and samsungs primarily but other brands do as well).

This is what I am trying to say. Since the majority of lcds have input lag, then most people are playing with input lag. Only the very few who know about this lag may try to reduce it. But overall, everybody is playing with the same issues.

I agree with the PC and the mouse/keyboard factor. A PC gamer would own the console gamer based on the controls. Mouse and keyboard is so much better. Thats why they dont combine online games between PC and 360/PS3.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18205338

The extra 6 inches, from 46 to 52 is very significant. 28% more screen area with a 52. The impact of the bigger set will be significant. The 52B750 has Excellent picture quality with both HD and SD sources.

Well worth an extra $100.

thats if he doesnt end up with a C panel

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE /forum/post/18208881

[the majority however have 40-50+ input lag (sony and samsungs primarily but other brands do as well).

This is what I am trying to say. Since the majority of lcds have input lag, then most people are playing with input lag. Only the very few who know about this lag may try to reduce it. But overall, everybody is playing with the same issues.

I agree with the PC and the mouse/keyboard factor. A PC gamer would own the console gamer based on the controls. Mouse and keyboard is so much better. Thats why they dont combine online games between PC and 360/PS3.

yeah, your also assuming that everyone playing on a xb360/ps3 are using LCD TV's

i don't know how many times i've seen a person come onto these forums and say i used to play my game on a CRT TV and i just got this LCD and i can't play the game correctly anymore whats going on?

yes you can get used to having a certain amount of input lag on a display over time but it still hurts your gaming performance no matter what and if you switch to a display with no input lag the responsiveness is apparent right away.

also there are games like street fighter that are unplayable with input lag due to combo move timing

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/18209652

thats if he doesnt end up with a C panel

If you want to be the person who brings up the panel lottery and the failing electrolytic capacitor issue tied to Samsung, that's fine with me.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The OP mentioned nothing about gaming or lag...take the lag discussion someplace else unless the OP references it...please.

It's getting close to the time of year where 2009 closeout pricing and availability become a fine line so it may be a good idea to ask about how many are in stock. As already mentioned, if you are not totally set on LCD plasma is good bang for the buck...that being said I'll throw in the Toshiba 670 as a suggestion along with the B750. It has local dimming and it's in your price range but either it's 46 or 55 with the Toshiba

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18207343

LCD TV prices and TV Prices in general have dropped pretty dramatically in the past year and right now last years models are being sold at rock bottom prices to get rid of them in favor for the 2010 models that are currently showing up in stores.

don't expect 2010 models to sell for the same or even less than 2009 models are right now because that is very unlikely given the typical price trend with TV's every year

by the 2nd half of this year and esp into the end of this year is when you will see nice sale prices start popping up and once again at the start of 2011 you can expect stores to put all the 2010 models on closeout at rock bottom prices to get rid of them.

if your really want to wait a year you may see 2010 models with equal features from the same brand as 2009 models today at lower prices than they are but i doubt it will be by all that much.

if you want to buy now and get the best bang for you buck i would seriously look into and consider plasma, its superior to most LCD's in many ways and is always cheaper than models that can compare with the plasma in performance.

you may have reasons why you want an LCD but many of plasma's downsides are blown out of proportion

"if you want to buy now and get the best bang for you (sic) buck, i would seriously look into and consider plasma, its superior to most LCD's in many ways and is always cheaper than models that can compare with the plasma in performance."

"you may have reasons why you want an LCD but many of plasma's downsides are blown out of proportion"

When are you going to stop trying to take every conceivable LCD thread and highjacking it into a plug for plasma?

Thread highjacking is wrong and in poor taste. You continue to ignore the fact that 9 out of 10 new TVs sold are LCD and that is not going to change.

Trying to minimize the highs of LCD and the Lows of plasma is not going to fly either. Just as with your preposterous statement that LCD refinement ended years ago, your glossing over the Lows of plasma by saying that the Lows are "blown out of proportion" is wrong.

The Lows of plasma are:

1) Most not as bright as LCD sets.

2) Shiny screens show reflections in bright rooms.

3) High-contrast images might leave a temporary impression on screen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts