Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Now that this forum has been split, I feel a little more comfortable posting here in all my cheapness. I'm curious if anyone has used a NoteVision5 for HT purposes? I know the contrast ratio is low : 200:1, the LUMENS are OK at 1000, but the price was right FREE. Yes free :)

I haven't had much opportunity to play with it, but here are my plans and maybe one of you can steer me in the right direction (especially in regards to the screen):

- I am going to mount the projector on ceiling (anyone have a good universal mount), or should I build a hush/concealment box (it's fairly loud)

- I plan to use DSCALER (for non-DVD), PowerDVD or TheaterTek for DVD through a fairly beefy HTPC (ATI Radeon 7500, AMD 1600XP, 512 mb)

-Wall mounted screen with 110 inch diagonal, room is well light controlled but I would like to be able to use the projector with some ambient light (read : TV/sports with ambient light...DVD/movies in dark theater mode).

I am contemplating a Da-Lite perm-wall, but what type of material should I go with? Do I need a high-contrast screen. and do I need a grey screen?

I may upgrade projectors some day, so I am willing to spend a little on the screen.

Any recommendations for screens would be greatly appeciated...

Thanks,

DC

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi there,

At work, I use a Notevision 5 (1000 lumen version) often. I use it to display movies on a ~80 inch pull-down screen. My source DVD player is a very inexpensive 480i Samsung. This is definately the budget approach!

I am reasonably pleased with the Notevision 5. One night I took it home and projected onto a large white wall. It did fine.

Factor in that it's free to you. It cannot be beat!

By the way, I don't think that the contrast ratio is really 200:1 on the Notevision 5. My home set-up is a Boxlight XP-5T. Projectorcentral.com says that the XP-5T has a contrast ratio of either 250:1 or 300:1 (depending on which review you read). I feel that it is far, far superior to the Notevision.

Don't let this discourage you. A lower contrast ratio means that dark scenes will appear, well, dark. The Sharp that you have is a solid performer - especially given your cost. Have lots of fun with it.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clarify, it's a Notevision 5XB, not just the 5, so it does have 1000

Lumens, unlike the Notevision 5 which has the 600.

Should I use a high gain screen like a 1.3-2.0 gain screen, and will this cause a considerable lightening for blacks? I'm leaning toward a 1.3 gain surface...

Does the lower contrast mean that the screen-door effect will be greater,

or is this strictly related to the native resolution of the projector? I guess

I should go dig around in the forum for a really solid explanation of the

contrast ratio for LCD projectors....I'm off hunting ( I think I need a 100"

screen just to read the thousands of posts I see here :).

Thanks,

DC

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hi DC,

You know, I'd recommend that you spend some time just "playing" with the projector. Do you have a big white wall in your home? Or, do you have a white sheet that you can tack up on a wall? You can start to decide what distance you like, what size screen you'll like, etc. just by "playing."

I use a white wall as my screen. The one night that I was using the 5XB, I had a throw distance of about 20 feet. That produced a very large image. It was very easy to see the screen door. One great feature of the 5XB is its ZOOM. When I zoomed the image all the way down, the screendoor lessened - as you would expect.

I suggest that you play around with the throw distance until you find the perfect balance where screen size is largest and screen door is at its least.

When I have friends and relatives over to see my projector, I usually zoom out to show the largest possible image. It gets the most "wows." However, when I'm watching a movie by myself, I usually zoom all the way in to get the smoothest image - the least screen door.

As far as I understand, the contrast ratio determines the number of levels of brightness and darkness that a given projector can produce. For example, I was watching a Sharp Z9000 in a store. The black levels were amazing - black looked black! My budget Boxlight (250:1 CR) produces "blacks" that are not super black. With that having said, no projector (not even the ones in that "over $5000" forum) can project a black that is blacker than your screen with the projector off. My living room has three skylights, so I don't watch movies at noon. When it's dark, my blacks look great.

I don't honestly know what a 1.3 gain screen will do to the blacks. I suspect that it will make them less black. Someone more experienced will surely offer some words of wisdom.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.