AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I am interested in replacing my computer monitor with a projector. I've done a bit of reasearch, but always end up finding myself right where I started.

I do a lot of gaming which traditionally is 4:3, but would also use the set up to watch the occasional DVD, so I'm thinking a 16:9 image would be best. The idea of surfing the web or programming in 16:9 makes me feel all light-headed too. My video card has dual-DVI outputs, so I would really like to find a projector with digital inputs. I also think I would want to go LCD to have the brightest image possible. Money is absolutely no factor and I'm willing to spend any amount. Wait... no, money is a factor. I was confusing myself with somebody else. Anyway, I'd like to keep it under $2000.

There seem to be several great projectors in the $1k-$2k range, however without DVI (it seems just to get DVI in the price jumps at least $800). I could have sworn I found a Sony a couple days ago for $1800 with a DVI input, but it seems to have fallen off the face of the Internet. Can anybody make any recommendations?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm afraid I can't answer your specific question regarding DVI, but I wanted to make sure when you find a projector that you check the bulb life. If you do a lot of browsing/gaming/dvd watching, you could be spending the equivalent of a good 21 inch monitor every year replacing the bulb...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, actually it would be the equivalent of less than 1 hour per day (more hours on the weekend of course. I have dual outputs, so I likely would keep the monitor hooked up, and just turn on the projector when I wanted to get really crazy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just wanted to make sure :)

Even with a 4000 hour bulb, 10-12 hours a day would eat up a bulb in a year or so, and many bulbs are 1-2000 hours...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
5000 hour bulb, DVI interface, LCD, hmmmm...how about Panasonic AE300, I have one and love it. There is alot of discussion around the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping, but mine looks awesome. I use a 960x540 desktop for surfing and PC stuff, and 1280x768 as a video resolution for DVD or satellite, it looks great!

Oh, and you should probably know that the VGA input is widely regarded as giving better picture quality, but your video card should have that capability I am sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it difficult to find the ae300 for under $2000?

and I would honestly get better quality if I convert my DVI signal to the (25 pin?) VGA? isn't that just extra conversions?

if VGA truly delivers better quality than DVI, then there are several lower priced projectors on the market without digital inputs that could serve my needs just as well...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Look at VA click on the link above. It's well under 2K. They also have excellent customer service. I use mine for HDTV, DTV, HTPC including gaming. It's a great buy for the money.

Eddie

Quote:
Originally posted by Balforth
is it difficult to find the ae300 for under $2000?

and I would honestly get better quality if I convert my DVI signal to the (25 pin?) VGA? isn't that just extra conversions?

if VGA truly delivers better quality than DVI, then there are several lower priced projectors on the market without digital inputs that could serve my needs just as well...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The VGA input seems to offer better scaling options and a cleaner picture. When you use a DVI to VGA converter on the vid card, the driver selects an analog output instead of digital. Check out the Projectors under $5k forum, there is a ton of info on this. I had planned to use DVI to my pj, but the VGA looks so good, and it works with the resolutions I wanted to use, so I have not found the need to make any changes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
VGA might only be better when not 1:1 pixel mapping. DVI is noticeably bettter than VGA on my Yamaha LPX500. If you can spend the extra money then try to get a 720p rez or better projector.

·
Registered
49 Posts
how much did you guys spend on your screens? And what type of screen is it and how big? I went to the Screens forum and saw some silver screen for like $60/square foot, and thats US money, Im in Canada! So i think for like 92", it came to $1700, for a screen!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.