AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps members could post details of a projector they are happy with with a long throw and is not subject to tearing at refresh rates of 72/75hrz when fed from a HTPC. It doesn't matter if it's 4:3 panel or 16:9

This might help me in some way to deciding what projector to look at

Thanks

Conor

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Why do you want 72/75 Hz refresh? Every consumer digital display device I've used works best at 60 Hz even if it will work with a higher refresh. If you put up a test patter such as Marks, 60 Hz is the only refresh that will display perfectly. All other refreshes will have some shimmer somewhere on the pattern. The pattern is at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=90884

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would I want to do that?

I have a Toshiba MT3 projector fed from a HTPC and if I watch a movie either on the projector or a CRT monitor at 60hrz i get jerky motion. However, if I change the refresh rate to 75hrz (Pal) or 72 hrz(NTSC) I get smooth playback on both the monitor and the projector. But unfortunately, when I change the refresh rate I also get tearing on the projector so I'm on the lookput for a projector that will accept these refresh rates without tearing.

Thanks

Comer

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm curious about this also. I have the Panny 75u and recently I've switched to 72hz to reduce jerkiness. Is there really a downside to this setup? The 75u will go up to 75 hz I believe.

Kerry

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kerry

The only down side is that you may get tearing. It's like horizontal slashes across the screen as the panel doesn't refresh the top and bottom of the image at exactly the same time. My advice is if you can't see it don't look for it (in case it's happening and you just never noticed it). Because like most things in this area once you see it it will drive you mad.

So the short answer is if you don't see anything wrong with your image then there is (for you) no downside to running at 72Hrz

Comer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.