AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i was skeptical at first but thus far i am impressed with my Dalite high contrast Da-Mat grey screen. This screen replaces another high gain Dalite (white)screen. My Mitsubishi is about as good as any LCD projector in terms of black level but with the grey screen, blacks are indeed black, not deep deep black in terms of a good CRT but black nevertheless. Colour and detail are good and i cannot believe the whites. This purchase was worth every penny. Just passing the word along. Check it out. Stewart makes the "GreyHawk" as well.

------------------

power

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the screen size is 52x92 16:9 format (viewing area) and the full retail price for just the screen material with the buttons is $385US and if you would like the custom aluminum frame to go with it, the price is approx $100 more. Myself, i made up my own frame and masked the entire front wall with black felt. Looks great. I have not compared the Dalite with the Stewart but the price difference is night and day. All i can say is that the blacks are now black and that's good enough for me. To avoid buying a screen such as this that would not suit your needs, order a sample first. You will see the difference; whether you get a small or large improvment will depend on your set-up. Just have to put up my acoustic treatment and my dream room will be complete. (for now of course http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

------------------

power

· Registered
4,070 Posts
Power:

Which Mitsubishi do you have? What are the specified lumens?

Doesn't the Dalite have much lower gain than the Grayhawk? What is the gain of the one you are using?

I had this thought, particularly with these very bright Sanyos, that a really dark gray screen like the original DaLite material (0.75 I think) would be optimal. Has anyone tried this?

Dan

· Registered
3,667 Posts
The original Dalite was closer to 0.4 and I don't think it was ever shipped.

------------------

Ken Elliott

· Registered
817 Posts
Power: were you using the High Power Screen (g2.8)? or some other DaLite screen?

------------------

Regards,

Jim

· Registered
7,295 Posts
Good deal power. I see you decided to buy the Dalite high contrast. It is a great buy and as good as the Grayhawk. I think better actually from what I have seen. Can't beat the price huh?

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

· Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the screen has a gain of .8. My projector is a Mitsubishi LVP X70 and has a brighness of 1100 Lumens. For best results it is recommended that your projector can put out 1000 Lumens or above for best results. My projector falls into that category.

Joe, i thought so too but the white level remains consistant, the whites are not greyish if that's what you are asking. Don't take my word for it though, order a sample if this type of screen interests you. Naturally, each individual set-up will differ therfore a sample of the product is what i would recommend. Try it, then buy it. Myself i took a chance http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

power

· Registered
4,070 Posts
OK, at 0.8 that's still a lot darker than the Grayhawk. So it might be the better choice for a really bright projector like the Sanyo, whatcha all think?

Dan

· Registered
7,295 Posts
cousinsvideo.com has the best price that I have seen. If you join their forum, you get an additiional 5%.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.