AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm walking out of the door here in the next hour to go look at some TV's for the home office (the woman gave the thumbs up!)

I'm thinking of a 46-50" LCD that will hang in front of the closet as it's not being used. Pics of where it will go can be found here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233992

I'm looking to spend around the 1000 dollar mark and would like to spend less but have no problems spending more if there is a tv for say 1100 or 1200 that is just so much better than the one at the 800-1000 dollar price mark.

It will be used for HD TV as well as blu-rays and possibly 360/ps3.

Lastly, I'd really like to stick with the Samsung brand but certainly open to others

I am running low on time and will spend that time researching but hoping some people have recommendations here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
depending on the type of gaming your intend to do and how much gaming you may want to read the thread in my signature

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYpanda /forum/post/18309973

I was looking over your pictures and comments from the link that you left, and noticed that you said, "I'm looking to put a 40-50" LCD here."

If your dead set on 46"-50" then I would answer differently. That said, I'll just go with a set from 40"-50" like you said in the original thread. In my opinion, a 40" Samsung B650 would serve you very well in that space. I found the Samsung B650 series to be very exceptional TV's, and would recommend that model given your purposes and placement. I noticed that you have blinds, so you could control the lighting. At any rate, that's what I'd get given your situation, environment, and budget.

Through a little diligence and shopping around, I'm certain that you could get one for $1,000 or less. Anyway, that would be my suggestion.

Good luck.

I'm pretty dead set on a 46-50" as I think a 40" is just a little too small for my tastes.

If you have a suggestion around the 1000 dollar mark - give or take a couple hundred, I'd love to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan0770 /forum/post/18310602

any brands you arent open to, or any particular features you want on this tv?

I'd really like to stick with Samsung unless there is another brand that really sticks it to them in this price range. Read further down for features...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18310875

$1,200 will get you a name brand 52" if you aren't picky about which brand.

I am a bit picky. Do you have any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18310895

depending on the type of gaming your intend to do and how much gaming you may want to read the thread in my signature

I do appreciate your response and I will certainly read over that thread.

Gaming on the TV really is secondary and may or may not be done. I'd like the option but mainly the TV will be used to watch HD TV - sports, tv, espn, news, etc (home office). It will also be used for Blu-Rays. Those are the major functions and I really don't need any fancy gadgets on it. I really just want the best picture possible.

·
Registered
117 Posts
well, for what its worth..... just got a 47" vizio last week for 799 with a wall-mount, got it for the bedroom mostly to play games on with my wife (she LOVES borderlands) and after calibration, it looks great and has a lot of features 120hz and 4 hdmis, its a vt470m, most people seem to have something against vizio on here, but its a really nice tv and with the savings buy a gaming system...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am currently evaluating 2 tv's, LG 50" (model# 50ps30) and a Sony 46" (KDLEX46). Both available at Costco. Both seem excellent, I would guess it will be whichever can achieve the best settings, as the pre-set settings are equal. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
The Sony 46 EX501 at Costco seems to end up with a 4 year warranty. The Sony EX500/501 are getting pretty good ratings. There is a thread about them.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^A pricematch with BB on the 46EX500 will put you below the 1k mark. The 4 year warranty deal at Costco on the 501 (only difference is the color of the cabinet below the screen) would definitely be the way to go on this set. I think it's 3 years from Sony on the sets sold at Costco plus another year if you use Amex, could be wrong.

At the Sears where I work we just got the LN46C630 (120hz, matte screen) Samsung on display near the EX500. The shelf tag price is the same-much lower than last year's comparable models when they first came out and actually cheaper than last year's 550 on closeout. In default Vivid/Dynamic mode the Sony looks cleaner with less blown-out color. Correct calibration would help both sets though.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/18316526

^^^A pricematch with BB on the 46EX500 will put you below the 1k mark. The 4 year warranty deal at Costco on the 501 (only difference is the color of the cabinet below the screen) would definitely be the way to go on this set. I think it's 3 years from Sony on the sets sold at Costco plus another year if you use Amex, could be wrong.

At the Sears where I work we just got the LN46C630 (120hz, matte screen) Samsung on display near the EX500. The shelf tag price is the same-much lower than last year's comparable models when they first came out and actually cheaper than last year's 550 on closeout. In default Vivid/Dynamic mode the Sony looks cleaner with less blown-out color. Correct calibration would help both sets though.

My question to you is "Would you be comfortable selling people the Samsung (without an extended warranty) given the problems with the failing electrolytic capacitors?"

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:

Solid advice. And I like the new minimal bezels of the 2010 sets.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18316787

My question to you is "Would you be comfortable selling people the Samsung (without an extended warranty) given the problems with the failing electrolytic capacitors?"

Frankly no. While it's too soon to tell if that problem will crop up on the new C series sets it is a definite concern. I tell customers about the caps problem and recommended the wty or another set--usually the Sony EX500 since imho it has a better picture anyway. Some folks are dead set on a Samsung and will buy it with the warranty or just assume that the caps issue is just a ploy to sell the wty. and get it without one.

In my experience there are people who will buy the wty and those that won't and mentionning a specific issue with a certain tv won't influence their decision one way or another.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiluven /forum/post/18312096

I'm pretty dead set on a 46-50" as I think a 40" is just a little too small for my tastes.

If you have a suggestion around the 1000 dollar mark - give or take a couple hundred, I'd love to hear it.

Ok, for that price range, size, and for Samsung only.

You're looking at these options:

1.) 46" LN46C630

2.) 46" LN46C530

3.) 46" LN46B650

I'd recommend option number 3, that is, if you're sticking to Samsung and Samsung only. You will likely pay hundreds of dollars more than you want to spend, and they're harder to find than the newer ones. If you wait, perhaps there might be a killer sale on a B650 coming, in lieu of march madness.

If you branch out, then I agree with the others. Definitely check out the Sony EX-500 series. I'd also check out the Toshiba offerings - 47" 47ZV650U for instance. In my opinion, it would flat out be more bang for your buck with something like the Sony EX-500 series. Up to you, and I wish you luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's late and I'll read more into your post tomorrow NyPanda - but just wanted to quickly state that I prefer Samsung but I am certainly open to other brands if it's a better bang for the buck (as long as it's reliable)

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also trying to decide between the Samsung LN46C630 and the Sony KDL-46EX500. If you have purchased either of these since your last post, I would love an update. I will be watching SD and HD channels, as well as some gaming and BluRay watching with the PS3. The specs are so close, and I have read so much info on both that my head hurts...help! Thanks in advance!

John

·
Registered
62 Posts
Generic TVs (Dynex, Vizion, Viewsonic, etc) suffer from bad capacitors as well). I just fixed several different generic TVs last week and today just for this.

PS: Recapped samsung is much better TV than recapped generic TV.

Samsung is no different but I prefer samsung for availablity of parts if is not easily repaired, ditto to using brand names like Sony, LG etc, which are prudent as well.

Generic TVs will not get these fixed as easily and availabity is impossible or warranty only covered for a year.

Cheers, Wizard

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Quote:

^^^A pricematch with BB on the 46EX500 will put you below the 1k mark. The 4 year warranty deal at Costco on the 501 (only difference is the color of the cabinet below the screen) would definitely be the way to go on this set. I think it's 3 years from Sony on the sets sold at Costco plus another year if you use Amex, could be wrong...

Just bought a TV at Costco. Thy add a year to mfg and using AMEX adds a year. So sony must be 2 years. No need to register, just hold on to receipt (for Costco and AMEX, not sure about Sony).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I need to clarify a bit:

Anyone is safer to buy a brand that has part availability at *least* 4 years after the introduction of the model lines. And same with getting service info and firmware updates. Generic models finding the service info is very slim at most, same with firmwares.

That means Sony, Samsung, LG and most brands. Generics I consider them like

RCA (it was a brand but now it is just a tag name now), Vizio, any odd brands and any exclusive brand lines that is sold by big boxes like Dylex, etc.

In nutshell, service and parts is what very important to consider while buying big bucks electronics.

I don't care what kind of TV it is as long it can get fixed no matter what within reason. And quality of performance is my main reason. I don't care how big deal of this if TV needs new capacitors as this only usually needs some capacitors to repair it. Important thing is make sure service shop utilize low ESR high current ripple 105C capacitors of good brands.

Cheers, Wizard

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard256 /forum/post/18362646

I need to clarify a bit:

Anyone is safer to buy a brand that has part availability at *least* 4 years after the introduction of the model lines. And same with getting service info and firmware updates. Generic models finding the service info is very slim at most, same with firmwares.

That means Sony, Samsung, LG and most brands. Generics I consider them like

RCA (it was a brand but now it is just a tag name now), Vizio, any odd brands and any exclusive brand lines that is sold by big boxes like Dylex, etc.

In nutshell, service and parts is what very important to consider while buying big bucks electronics./

I don't care what kind of TV it is as long it can get fixed no matter what within reason. And quality of performance is my main reason. I don't care how big deal of this if TV needs new capacitors as this only usually needs some capacitors to repair it. Important thing is make sure service shop utilize low ESR high current ripple 105C capacitors of good brands.

Cheers, Wizard

I suppose, but what is failure rate? Also, we live in a disposable society. Club type stores can yield 3 and 4 year warranty included. Who cares about capacitors when failure can be gateway to upgrade?

What are you trying to clarify?

Saw this same post repeated in three threads I am currently following but will only reply to this one.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz01 /forum/post/18365570

I suppose, but what is failure rate? Also, we live in a disposable society. Club type stores can yield 3 and 4 year warranty included. Who cares about capacitors when failure can be gateway to upgrade?

What are you trying to clarify?

Saw this same post repeated in three threads I am currently following but will only reply to this one.

When my 300 dollar crt failed after 10 years that was a gateway to upgrage. If my 2000 dollar lcds fail after after 3 or 4 years i may be buying another crt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts