AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is my first time posting here. I've heard this place is good at receiving some help on TVs, so that's why I've came to ask you guys. I'm helping my aunt and uncle look for a brand new HDTV. The room that this tv will be in has slide doors so it does get pretty bright in the room but they do have blinds that cover it so I don't think glaring will be a problem. My unlce wants a tv ranging from 40-50 inches. The distance between their tv and sitting area is about 14 feet. They mosly watch tv shows, sports, and movies. The TV doesn't have to be a 1080p native because they don't own any HD-DVD or Blu-Ray players. There budget will probably range from 3-4k, but cheaper the better.

Here are the LCD TVs I've seen at stores and I liked:

Sony BRAVIA 46" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Sony BRAVIA XBR 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Sony BRAVIA 46" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Sharp AQUOS 42" 1080p LCD HDTV

Sharp AQUOS 46" 1080p LCD HDTV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out the Samsung 46" S4696D 1080P HDTV--Lots of postings in this area on this TV. Just bought the 52" Sammy, myself.

BTW-Sony and Sammy are made at the same plant- by Sammy. Sammy's cheaper though for, IMHO, the same picture quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am trying to decide between:

40XBR2

Samsung S4095D

Sharp 42D62U

I think this is a dangerous question...but does anyone here have an opinion on which one to get? I understand the "what looks good to your eye" philosophy...and I buy into it. But I also would like an educated opinion on which set may be the best fit for someone that watches primarily DVD's (no HD or blue-ray yet), HD TV, and a ton of sports. No gaming...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
818 Posts
That depends how pixel micro bocking show up. Test it out in the store for yourself by standing in front of the set by count the steps backwards and that should give you a good idea how far you have to be from it!.. If it looks bad don't buy it. My 37" you have to be more than 6ft I say 12Ft for is sure does look good...

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir /forum/post/0

That depends how pixel micro bocking show up. Test it out in the store for yourself by standing in front of the set by count the steps backwards and that should give you a good idea how far you have to be from it!.. If it looks bad don't buy it. My 37" you have to be more than 6ft I say 12Ft for is sure does look good...

What are you talking about???

They are going to sit 14' away. For optimal HD content viewingn they should certainly go with a set at or above the top end of their size range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.