AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clarification: No HDTV, regardless of type, is going to give me good PQ while watching a SD signal even if it is from Dir**TV? NASCAR ON TNT will not look good, movie on USA will be bad etc. So everyone that has an HDTV is just willing to live with bad SD in exchange for Awesome HDTV even though only 10% (if that) of TV programming is HDTV. How good can I get SD to look? How Good is Good campared to Anolog RPTV? when will majority of broadcasts be HD? Trying to decide weather to make the jump.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I get a very good SD picture on my Toshiba 57HLX82. Of course it is also an $8,000 TV. I think several of the CRT-RPTVs do reasonably well on SD as well, with Toshiba, Pioneer, and Hitachi typically getting good marks.

Yes, you will have specific broadcasts and specific evenings/times of day when it is worse just due to compression, but this can look bad on an analog RPTV as well.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Also, DVD quality is very good on an HDTV. SD is mixed and depends heavily on the source compression. It seems to me that the "premium" channels typically have less compression whereas the news channels have the most. It also helps to sit back from the TV.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.