AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One year ago, a 50+ inch LCD would cost more than a Plasma of the same size, in general of course. It looks like LCD has come down in price and is pretty much on par with Plasma's now at the larger screen sizes. Heading into 2009, does it sound liek LCD is going to be the choice of future buyers? Yes, plasma may give better skin tones (in my opinon) but with LCD cost being on par and LCD's gaining gound with the black levels, is this the beginning of the end for Plasma?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Plasma tv's WILL die out with time. It make take a few more years (5-7) but, with LCD improving there refresh rates and technology it will eventually happen.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condar /forum/post/15443548

Plasma tv's WILL die out with time. It make take a few more years (5-7) but, with LCD improving there refresh rates and technology it will eventually happen.

Hi,

In 5-7 years time, it is most likely that both Plasma & LCD will begin ti be superseded by OLED screens according to most opinions.

Bazzy!

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah /forum/post/15443499

One year ago, a 50+ inch LCD would cost more than a Plasma of the same size, in general of course. It looks like LCD has come down in price and is pretty much on par with Plasma's now at the larger screen sizes. Heading into 2009, does it sound liek LCD is going to be the choice of future buyers? Yes, plasma may give better skin tones (in my opinon) but with LCD cost being on par and LCD's gaining gound with the black levels, is this the beginning of the end for Plasma?

LCD's have always pretty much out sold plasmas as there are more companies making them and they are offered in a larger number of different sizes. As for which one is better, that's a personal choice and one that should be decided individually as they both offer a quality home theater environment.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker /forum/post/15473604

I won't be buying LCD until the off-axis viewing improves greatly.

THIS

I was all set on getting a 52" LCD for a fairly bright and large room. I simply could not stomach the off-angle PQ degredation and ended up with a 50" plasma instead.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vud911 /forum/post/15471402

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And...ustry/E3H8W2F2

Latest news I could find.

Wow...interesting article. With the economy tanking, I guess that the value/size relationship is breaking towards Plasma in a big way.

It is interesting. My co-worker who I would have pegged as a LCD buyer ended up with a 50" Panny on the salesman's suggestion at Sears.

Both technologies are high quality, viable and will be around for the foreseeable future. But the foreseeable future is not that long these days.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Why does it seem that everyone only wants one TV technology?

Cannot two co-exist. I for one am glad we have both LCD and plasma. Neither are perfect and both are improving. I say give people choices and pick which one looks best to your eyes. Eventually something like OLED may replace both.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/15473973

Cannot two co-exist. I for one am glad we have both LCD and plasma. Neither are perfect and both are improving. I say give people choices and pick which one looks best to your eyes. Eventually something like OLED may replace both.

I have to agree wholeheartedly. Each has its positives and drawbacks, and though i only own a plasma and 3-4 year old CRT right now, I can definitely see myself owning A combination of Plasma and LCD in the future, just depends what room they're going in and the primary viewing material IMHO.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:

why does it seem that everyone only wants one tv technology?

Cannot two co-exist. I for one am glad we have both lcd and plasma. Neither are perfect and both are improving. I say give people choices and pick which one looks best to your eyes. Eventually something like oled may replace both.

+1

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:

Excellent point. I have my preference but I also own each type.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Since OLED has burn in concerns I still think there will be a place for LCD. And who knows, if plasma keeps coming down in price and continues to improve in other areas, OLED may have a very difficult time gaining market share.

Not that any of it matters when buying a TV today...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condar /forum/post/15443548

LOL, what are you smoking?

While LCDs are indeed better today then they were some years back

they still have a ways to go.

Oh , I am not just a plasma fan either because I own both .

With the current plasma/LCD market it is pretty clear that

both are here to stay a very long time.

No question that if LCD technology introduces displays

capable of .002 black levels and MUCH improved

off axis performance then plasmas would be in

trouble.

Will that ever happen? I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts

Quote:

If reading about Pioneer closing its plants (and if true) doesn't this concern you?

Would you buy another brand plasma?

Or your next TV maybe a LED based LCD?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband /forum/post/15474693

If reading about Pioneer closing its plants (and if true) doesn't this concern you?

Absolutly not.

Do you think sonys flat panel market is going to tank because they outsource thier panels to samsung? It hasn't so far

Outsourceing is a normal thing in electronics and in alot of cases ends up being a great move.

Heck, look at a computer board. Tell me how many company names you see on all the flip-chips, Quad flatpacks, processors, capacitors, Ball grid arrays , inductors, diodes, ferrite beads, crystals, and other components on the main board.

Everyone outsources in one way or another.

If pioneer found that it would be less costly, and possibly better quality to outsource thier panel glass to panasonic to be built to pioneer specs then it may be a good thing.

considering the reliabilty of panasonic panels, it may be a great thing.

Pioneer panels will be built to pioneer specs by panny.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 /forum/post/15474869

Absolutly not.

Do you think sonys flat panel market is going to tank because they outsource thier panels to samsung? It hasn't so far

Outsourceing is a normal thing in electronics and in alot of cases ends up being a great move.

Not only in electronics but in many facets of today's business world. Toll blending is very common in the paint and coatings industry along with many other chemical compounds. It's much more economical to out source certain parts than it is to do it in house and with the economic times ahead of us I expect it to become even more prevelant in business.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmah /forum/post/15443499

Everytime LCD invades the size plasma has enjoyed dominating LCD, LCD takes over the sales of that size.

Now that LCD owns the 50+ size the next will be the 60+ size.

It started with smaller sizes and now its the bigger sizes? Is plasma done you ask?

Well it doesn't look good. But the new Neo's with half power consumption and brighter displays may tell the story.

But Pioneer in trouble where they've been the quality leader certainly can't help the situation for plasma.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.