AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before long, the winter season (movie season!) will be upon us and therefore the delights of long nights in front of the "big screen". The experience I enjoy from my dedicated HC loft is always pleasurable and well worth the effort that went into it's construction and evolution. However, on occasion, I've found the image from my Sony 11HT projector a little lacking in terms of black level. Colors, image depth, lack of artifacts etc are a great plus with this projector, in fact I detest talking in technical terms - if it looks good - it is "good" is how I'd prefer to describe an image, and in the main the image the 11HT throws is pretty damn good - period. However, no matter how good a thing we have, we always want something better right? So, a couple of weeks ago I went to audition the Themescene H78 - expecting to be blown away - but I wasn't. It appeared to be better in some respects, but I wasn't bowled over . There were perhaps a few reasons why I wasn't. 1 - the room had a little stray light from a window (around edges of a blind). The screen was a little smaller than my 100" diagonal. The screen was not (perfectly) masked as mine at home is. I guess I wanted to see pitch black star fields in Star Trek movies etc, but I was sadly dissappointed :( - even the "black" bars atop and below the screen were grey - just like my 11HT. At this point I'm hoping that some-one out there dissagrees, and has actually had the guts, seeing the potential of the H78, to move from the 11HT(fully calibrated) to the DLP and can confirm it was, with hindsight, actually a great move. Other great PJs aren't an option for me as they have a much greater throw ratio (and much higher price tag!). So if you have been in my predicament please let's hear from you. I was surprised that the H78 didn't seem to be any brighter than my 11HT - even on the smaller screen. PS I tried very hard to see rainbows on the H78 - and didn't see any!! :) Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Set up has lots to do with the PQ of any pJ. I moved up from a Sony 12HT to H79 and I think it is a worthy upgrade, especially with the current low street price of the H79. My screen size is 114" wide.

·
Registered
7,996 Posts
I moved up from the Sony HS20 to the H79. Strongly recommended.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, operating environment has a huge impact on a projectors performance as we know, which is why I wanted opinions from previous users of the 11HT (in the same HC room). The H78 I saw was also "straight out of he box" - no calibration. Please keep those opinions coming!!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftboy
Thanks guys, operating environment has a huge impact on a projectors performance as we know, which is why I wanted opinions from previous users of the 11HT (in the same HC room). The H78 I saw was also "straight out of he box" - no calibration. Please keep those opinions coming!!

It been a while, so I don't remember the exact numbers on measured contrast ratio on the 11HT, but weren't they something like 300:1 calibrated? The H7x series of PJs are legitimately well into the 2000:1 range calibrated.

I hate to say the difference is night and day, but its pretty darn close :)

You really need to see the H78 in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I moved up from a Sony HS50 to a H78DC3. Both ISF calibrated.

Very happy with my move. H78DC3 is significantly better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.