AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent been following TVs this year at all cause the one I have now I bought last New Years Eve. But i want something bigger (55") and been considering just getting LED even though its still at least 20% more than CCFL LCD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
Honestly, Unless the specific LED driven set outperforms the current CCFL set you have now, there is no reason to upgrade.


Color accuracy, black level performance, screen uniformity, useable light output, and so on are still the main focus on what makes a good display.


Full array back-lit LED systems can and do offer many advantages over traditional CCFL driven LCD's because they have the ability to dim sections of the set while keeping others bright.


LED edge lit systems however, are on a pretty equal playing field with CCFL driven sets. You have to look hard for an edge lit LED system that produces a nice uniform picture however. They will all look amazing with a bright image, but dark images can be a challenge.


The problem is, manufacturers are using the LED edge-lit setup to produce ultra thin HDTV sets. This leaves little room to diffuse and balance the light evenly on the screen. I am sure if a company decided to make a 4" thick edge lit LED LCD hdtv, they could solve most of these problems, but thats not the goal.


In short, the CCFL driven LCD could very well outperform an LED driven set. Only the full back lit local dimming LED driven LCDs have an advantage. Its up to you to do your homework.


If you are purely hunting for somthing bigger, then usually the bells and whistles come on the LED driven sets, and the budget minded sets that remain in production are CCFL. That is due to the manufacturers lineup. That doesn't mean the LED driven system is better then the CCFL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname /forum/post/20901362


Havent been following TVs this year at all cause the one I have now I bought last New Years Eve. But i want something bigger (55") and been considering just getting LED even though its still at least 20% more than CCFL LCD.

What Upgrade?


Other then making TV's 1" or less thick and being a bit more efficient LED TV's are really not much of an upgrade and in many cases a downgrade. Only time LED back lit sets are at an advantage is if they are full array with local dimming models (pretty few and far between and ultra $$$). Most LED back lit sets are only edge lit meaning the LED lights are only around the outer edges. So fancy ways must be used for the light to reach other parts of the panel. At the moment this edge lit process is not to good on many models with extreme clouding and flashlighting. Large CCFL back lit sets are not immune to clouding and flashlighting either but at the moment they are not as bad as many LED edge lit sets.


Of coarse on the other hand you might not have much of a choice. Most mid level and higher sets sold now days are LED back lit anyway. However some bargain priced CCFL back lit models are being sold at great prices and perform very well. At the moment I have been very impressed by the few CCFL back lit sets on the market. Its not that they perform the best its that they perform very well for the cost. At the moment I am not seeing the advantages in sets costing twice if not more in price.


Also a lot of marketing confusion out there. LED and LCD tv's are one and the same. They both use an LCD panel for the picture. The only difference is the light source behind the panel. CCFL is very similar to a Florescent light you may have around your home. LED is just a small but powerful light behind the panel producing the light. Technology is always changing and to be honest I have seen improvement with the 2011 LED sets but for the most part you will get a better more natural white with a CCFL lamp then an LED light. Also LED's are highly directional and this can cause uneven and very bright spots. Also LED's tend to be overly bright and this can be difficult to tone down on some models. This was a bigger issue with some 2010 models but some 2011 models look better.


I know a major retailer out there is really pushing the LED sets as something completely new and special but in reality they are one and the same. Just a different light source is all.


One advantage of LED back lit sets is they may last longer and be more reliable but this is yet unknown. More then likely any TV bought today will be badly outdated before it actually breaks regardless of the back lit source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/20901454


Other then making TV's 1" or less thick and being a bit more efficient LED TV's are really not much of an upgrade and in many cases a downgrade. Only time LED back lit sets are at an advantage is if they are full array with local dimming models (pretty few and far between and ultra $$$).

LED sets are considerably more efficient than CCFL, are quieter (no buzzing from dimming the backlight) barely put out any heat, are easier on the eyes (I can't stand to watch CCFL sets now) and have much better motion if they use a scanning backlight.


Edge-lit uniformity is terrible though, I'll give you that.

CCFL sets also tend to be lower end with worse panels, processing options etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist /forum/post/20902098


LED sets are considerably more efficient than CCFL, are quieter (no buzzing from dimming the backlight) barely put out any heat, are easier on the eyes (I can't stand to watch CCFL sets now) and have much better motion if they use a scanning backlight.


Edge-lit uniformity is terrible though, I'll give you that.

CCFL sets also tend to be lower end with worse panels, processing options etc.

????


What do you mean by that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist /forum/post/20902098


LED sets are considerably more efficient than CCFL, are quieter (no buzzing from dimming the backlight) barely put out any heat, are easier on the eyes (I can't stand to watch CCFL sets now) and have much better motion if they use a scanning backlight.


Edge-lit uniformity is terrible though, I'll give you that.

CCFL sets also tend to be lower end with worse panels, processing options etc.

The only thing I tend to agree with is your comment on edge-lit uniformity and even then, I'm not sure I'd say "terrible" in most cases, just not as good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20902442


The only thing I tend to agree with is your comment on edge-lit uniformity and even then, I'm not sure I'd say "terrible" in most cases, just not as good.

Jim,


Makes you wonder where people get so much misinformation in one whack!


Apparently, Chrono is NOT aware that the MY 2010 Sony 60EX500 and 60EX700 share premium Sharp panels. Yes, the same Sharp panels used in most of the top tier MY 210 Sony TVs.


Chrono, if my EX700 uniformity was, as you say, terrible, I would've shot it and burry it in my yard a looong time ago!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
One year ago I compared Samsung LED vs CCLF sets.


After A/B viewing at a major B&M, the LED was superior, but way more $.


I opted for the CCFL set and have been trilled with the picture quality.


Looking to buy another HDTV, I read through the user comments and almost purchased another CCFL set.


Instead, having a master degree in electrical engineering and based on the science/benefits (many not commented on, such reliability, longevity, switching speed) I took the leap and purchased a Samsung LED HDTV. Pricing has dropped quite a bit.


For example, consider the light spectrum emitted by both sources.


While both have pretty much the same back light uniformity (extremely minor), without question, I would say that the LED sets are superior.


Comparing the PQ, my new LED sets (yes, I purchased another) exceed CCFL with superior dynamic range (e.g. detail) and deeper blacks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeismyname
been considering just getting LED even though its still at least 20% more than CCFL LCD.
Well then you should be rejoicing that the extra $20% won't necessarily buy you a better TV so u can save money with abandon.
unless of course you are in love with LED for other reasons then oooops.


My own 0.02, sure edgelit LED may have less uniformity, bleed etc, but unless you like to watch lots of dark movies, Batmans, do u notice it enough during normal playback to matter? Point to ponder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb
Well then you should be rejoicing that the extra $20% won't necessarily buy you a better TV so u can save money with abandon.
unless of course you are in love with LED for other reasons then oooops.


My own 0.02, sure edgelit LED may have less uniformity, bleed etc, but unless you like to watch lots of dark movies, Batmans, do u notice it enough during normal playback to matter? Point to ponder.
Yep. Paying more for less matters to me. That's why I bought a CCFL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist
LED sets are considerably more efficient than CCFL, are quieter (no buzzing from dimming the backlight) barely put out any heat, are easier on the eyes (I can't stand to watch CCFL sets now) and have much better motion if they use a scanning backlight.


Edge-lit uniformity is terrible though, I'll give you that.

CCFL sets also tend to be lower end with worse panels, processing options etc.
Clueless, just plain clueless. My LG has the S-IPS panel and more calibration options than other comparable sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20904060


I've never timed it, but both of my Samsungs (CCFLs) warm up in well under a minute. If you need to watch something faster than that, you're truly addicted.

I have a Samsung CCFL and a Dell LED side by side at work. The LED is instantly on. The CCFL takes 5-10 minutes to fully warm up. Same for every other computer/laptop CCFL I've used. I guess it's different with TVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,631 Posts
30 minutes warm up time...I will agree with that for critical viewing or calibration but for real world viewing it's a few seconds

IMO any difference in color or "pop" varies from model to model be it CCFL or LED and all things being equal the differences can be overcome with a little calibration. LED gets the nod on power consumption but is it really that big of a difference to effect your decision...not mine. CCFL gets the nod for uniformity but LED for contrast or black levels. Price wise if you can find one, it will probably be an upper mid level CCFL vs an entry level LED...coin flip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
OK, I just got home from church and started reading this thread. Both of my Samsungs were off, so just to satisfy myself (and you doubters), I turned on my CCFL 37" B650 and had a picture in 8.9 seconds. Then, I tried my 46" A650, also CCFL, and had a picture in 7.4 seconds. I'd say that was well under a minute, wouldn't you?


I have no idea where the 30 minutes came from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim; /forum/post/0


OK, I just got home from church and started reading this thread. Both of my Samsungs were off, so just to satisfy myself (and you doubters), I turned on my CCFL 37" B650 and had a picture in 8.9 seconds. Then, I tried my 46" A650, also CCFL, and had a picture in 7.4 seconds. I'd say that was well under a minute, wouldn't you?


I have no idea where the 30 minutes came from.

You can watch TV rightaway when you turn on a CCFL but it will take a while to reach normal brightness, a calibrator waits half an hour before starting calibrating, led can be calibrated right away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/20904495


You can watch TV rightaway when you turn on a CCFL but it will take a while to reach normal brightness, a calibrator waits half an hour before starting calibrating, led can be calibrated right away.

OK, well if I ever buy a new CCFL and want it calibrated (fat chance on that), I'll turn it on 30 minutes before the appointment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Just went from a CCFL yesterday to an Edgelit LED. No complaints here so far, Brighter picture and less heat I can also tell as I use it as a monitor. I don't worry to much about the lighting when no picture is on the screen. I know its not as uniform as full array but as long as I don't see it while I'm watching something its all good. Really only went this route as I wanted to go bigger (55") and on a side note due to the thickness I can now fit a 55" TV with the seats pulled down in a Saturn to bring home right away instead of waiting 2 weeks for delivery.
Another plus is its 3D as well.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top