AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. For name brand, the Sharp AND Samsung models and LG/Philips models are really nice along with the major japanese brands like Panasonic, Toshiba, and Hitachi. Odd thing is Toshiba on the 27" model is probably using a taiwanese panel so I would avoid that one and also the specs are not competitive. I guess Toshiba decided to use Taiwanese to tide it over till the Panasonic/Hitachi/Toshiba LCD plant is ready.

My question however is regarding offbrands like Syntax Olevia, Winbook, Westinghouse and any others you can think of.

Are there any of the offbrands that are as good currently as any of the MAJOR Brand TV's including ALL ASPECTS of the TV or are the offmakes still subpar a little bit so you still have to choose a price/performance you are looking for?

·
Registered
471 Posts
My major worry with the off-brands is the question of service - Does the manufacturer have the resources to service their sets in your location, and will they still be there next year? This does not apply to sets bought at Target, Best Buy, or similar locations that will exchange the set (under warranty) for another brand if yours becomes unrepairable.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrussell
My major worry with the off-brands is the question of service - Does the manufacturer have the resources to service their sets in your location, and will they still be there next year? This does not apply to sets bought at Target, Best Buy, or similar locations that will exchange the set (under warranty) for another brand if yours becomes unrepairable.
Thats a good point but doesnt really concern me too much because I will buy the item from a vendor I can trust. However it was indeed another factor to be included in the list I wrote.

But excluding the service issue, the question remains: Are there any vendors which have products which meet or exceed the entire package of the majors including remote control, fit and finish, well thought out controls, picture quality and everything else.

Of all the electronics items I have owned, I never had any issues with them and they did NOT require servicing. The only electronics that did break were very old and beyond their useful life so they were replaced. LCD's also are more picky because its impossible to get 0 pixel loss but its consistently getting better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.