AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're both pretty good deals right now... $$$ for the Dell, $$$ for the Viewsonic. Both Canadian.

Anybody have experience with either? Just looking at specs...

The Viewsonic is an inch bigger.

From a looks perspective, Dell definitely wins.

From a connectivity standpoint, Viewsonic has VGA, but otherwise Dell beats it hands down, with 2 components, 2 S-Video and 2 HDTV component vs. Viewsonic's 1 of each.

Dell is 500:1, 450cd/m2, Viewsonic is 600:1, 550cd/m2

Dell is 25ms response time, Viewsonic is 16ms

Key difference is Dell has +/- 85 degree viewing angle (170) both vertically and horizontal, whereas Viewsonic lists 110 and 130, respectively. Looks like a huge difference..

Another thing, the Viewsonic seems to be the typical 720 resolution (1280x720) whereas the Dell uses 1280x768 (sounds more like a PC resolution). Which one is more appropriate?

So what makes the dell worth an extra $100?

[MSRP ONLY]

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
A quick check shows the Acer is 16:10 aspect ratio and no indication that its DVI input supports HDCP. This may be a consideration. The ViewSonic is 16:9 and does support HDCP.

You really cannot tell about viewing angle without seeing the physical display. The issue is how fast the colors go wrong, not what angle it becomes impossible to see.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been using the Dell W2600 for over 7 months now. I first used it as an HD tv hooked up to a motorola 6208 HD-PVR on the DVI connection. I had the 6208 set to display all modes at 720p. SD-HD-Digital cable all looked fantastic. The TV has great sound but i recommend turning off "midnite mode" as sound isnt as good with it on.

I now use the dell as a main gaming computer monitor. (on DVI) I play all types of games on this computer. I have played FarCry, BattleField 2, Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms, PlanetSide, EveryQuest, Darkage of Camelot. Flatout. StarWars Knights of the old Republic.

I keep seeing people say that 25ms is bad. From over 2ys of personal experience i dont see a problem...

I dont get what i am missing at 25ms. I dont see trails-blurring etc. games look and play great. Before the dell i had a Viewsonic VG800 25ms that i played games on for 2yrs. not a problem with it. I try to when possible to play the games in the panels native resolution (1280x1024 for Viewsonic - 1280x768 for Dell) But i have played games at 800x600, 1024x786 and they ran and looked fine.

From my experience with LCD screens and gaming, the contrast ratio is more important. I found games(BF1942 - in bunkers on omaha) with a screen of 300:1 it was too dark inside. The 500:1 Viewsonic cured that problem.

So anyway, for me. The W2600 worked well (for the price) as a main TV and main computer screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.