AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am currently looking for an LCD display to double as a computer monitor and a television. I have a Macbook Pro (1st gen. so a DVI out). Right now I have seen that I have a couple options:

-A LCD Monitor (min. of 24" most likely) with either an external or built in TV Tuner.

or

-A LCD TV (32" most likely) connecting through a DVI to HDMI cable.

It will be used pretty much 50/50 between the two purposes, and SD cable will most likely be used.

Has anybody gone through both of these situations and do you have a preference of which method to use?

LCD Monitors with built in TV Tuners (such as Samsung T240HD) seem to have good reviews, but I have not seen much comparing those to using a regular LCD + tuner or just a LCD TV. Are these a good substitute, and are there other manufacturers with similar products (I have only seen one 23" LG).

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

MarshalTito

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm in the same boat, but looking at the 23-26 inch most likely. I'd like to get that for a primary monitor (with my current 19" as monitor 2) and then get another 26 or 32 to mount on the wall.

Any help out there for suggestions of good monitors for this or LCD HDTVs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I have read so far, the T2XXHD series are good as a monitor and tv, but they are not great. For me, as I would use it 50:50 for both, it looks like a good choice plus at $350 for the 26" it is pretty reasonable. I think if you are looking for something that will be used more as a monitor instead of a tv the best bet would be to go with a standard monitor (or vice versa).

For just a straight monitor (depending on the price), I have heard the Dell 2408WFP is one of the best, and I know the HP LP2475w is a very good monitor as well.

For something larger to hang on the wall (30"+), the tv I was/am considering is the Samsung 32B550. Reasonably priced, and looks very good.

Does anyone know any other monitors/companies besides the LG M237WD (something closer to the 27" or larger range preferably) that offer a similar product (a monitor with a tuner built in--primarily so it has the same variety of inputs that the Samsung and LG have)?

I read that LG had released a 27" monitor/HDTV in Asia, but I have heard no mention of it in the US.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts