AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to projectors, and I am hunting a display for my living room (15x12). Will projectors get the same image quality as TVs (tv, movie, and gaming)? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Will a 100" projector image look as good as a 50" TV image, no.

It's like asking if a 50" TV will look as good as a 19" TV. No.

You have to remember you're blowing up the image 4 times the size with the projector. But it will look damn good.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's like comparing a top fuel dragster motor to a pro stock. Sure the pro stock motor is more effecient but the top fuel motor makes more than up for it in raw in sane power!!!!! Today's projectors don't look as good as top of the line $2500 t.v.s but considering you can have a 106" image plus or minus 20" which will equal a 1200 t.v. yet have 4 times the area projection is the only way to go imho. Like everything comprimises need made for projection to work such as a well thought out light control plan. If you like to re-arrange your room (to keep the wife happy) this could be an issue as placement options become limited.

All just food for thought.

·
Registered
17,370 Posts
It depends so much on different factors .. and how much you want to pony up for a projector ..

A properly calibrated 1080p unit, with a BD source, a well matched screen, in a dark room can, in fact, rival a TV in PQ .. however, it's not cheap to get that quality ..

Lower end projectors made specifically for Home Theater can and do display a great picture, and any deficiency at that lower price point is more than made up by the sheer impact of a large screen ..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think your best bet is to try to find someone or a product demo shop. Sorry can't help you with shops in Boston, not so familiar with East Coast stores

But I'm sure you can ask around your area. Ask a friend thats knows a friends that knows a friend lol. But yeah, don't jump the gun. I've known people swinging both ways. Some really didn't like the output of the projector. But it can really depend on 1) the projector you view, 2) your initial expectations prior to viewing it live 3) the environment. There can also be many other factors. But your best bet is you experience one before jumping to the final decision. Do research. Knowledge is self empowerment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts