AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told I should post this here.

I currently have my desktop PC hooked up to my Westinghouse 32W6 via a DVI to HDMI cable. Weird thing is, when I turn on the PC when it's already hooked up to the TV, it doesn't run. I mean, it turns on, but it doesn't "beep" and start windows.

If I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV, then turn it on, it starts fine and and displays fine when I plug the cable back in, but having to unplug and plug the cable back in each time is a pain in the ass. Anyone know of a solution to this problem?

FYI: I have an ATI X800Xl and Windows XP Pro.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporaryscars /forum/post/0

There's no way in hell i'm replacing my $200+ video card. There has to be a more reasonable answer.

Then unplug your cable every time. Some cards have strange issues like this. You can try to see on the support site if there is a firmware/bios flash for your card.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Make sure you only have 1 display enabled in the ATI Control panel,

and that it is the digital display.

You may have both the analog and digital displays enabled.

If both displays are enabled, you may run into an issue like this.

I had a similar problem when I had both analog and digital connections

set from my Gigabtype x800 connected to my LCD TV, and the TV was set to the analog input when the PC was booted. If the video card finds the "primary"

display connected but not responding correctly you can get a post error.

Either way it's some type of handshaking issue.

HTH,

Colin

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coflo /forum/post/0

Make sure you only have 1 display enabled in the ATI Control panel,

and that it is the digital display.

You may have both the analog and digital displays enabled.

If both displays are enabled, you may run into an issue like this.

I had a similar problem when I had both analog and digital connections

set from my Gigabtype x800 connected to my LCD TV, and the TV was set to the analog input when the PC was booted. If the video card finds the "primary"

display connected but not responding correctly you can get a post error.

Either way it's some type of handshaking issue.

HTH,

Colin

Ok, so how do I do that exactly?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Assuming you have ATI Catalyst Control Center installed

(You get this automatically if you have installed the ATI

video card drivers of the ati web site, and if you haven't make sure

to do so, which may fix the problem itself) open the catalyst

control center app, and under "Displays Manager" you can

enable/disable primary/secondary displays. If it's set up correctly,

there will only be a primary display and that will be your digital

display. You can switch primary/secondary displays and disable

displays in this tool. Pretty self-explanatory once you're looking

at it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:

There's no way in hell i'm replacing my $200+ video card. There has to be a more reasonable answer.

The ONLY connection between the cable and the computer is the video card. And since it happens when you turn on the system, it is a hardware issue. That is why I said to replace the video card.

Mez

·
Registered
34 Posts
My bandaid solutions will be

1. Never turn off the PC. How about standby mode?

2. Use an HDMI 2:1 switch, preferably remote controllable. (I don't know its existence though).

PC is connected to the 1 side and TV on the 2 side. Switch it to the open connection, boot pc and then switch it to the TV connection.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you have a spare monitor, you could try plugging it into the other DVI slot. The motherboard might be trying to display that 640*480 startup resolution, but isn't having any sucess with your TV. With a monitor attached that can display the 640*480, it might boot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coflo /forum/post/0

Assuming you have ATI Catalyst Control Center installed

(You get this automatically if you have installed the ATI

video card drivers of the ati web site, and if you haven't make sure

to do so, which may fix the problem itself) open the catalyst

control center app, and under "Displays Manager" you can

enable/disable primary/secondary displays. If it's set up correctly,

there will only be a primary display and that will be your digital

display. You can switch primary/secondary displays and disable

displays in this tool. Pretty self-explanatory once you're looking

at it.

Good luck.

I know what you're saying, i'm just not seeing it:

Maybe you can help me out now? I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2grass /forum/post/0

My bandaid solutions will be

1. Never turn off the PC. How about standby mode?

2. Use an HDMI 2:1 switch, preferably remote controllable. (I don't know its existence though).

PC is connected to the 1 side and TV on the 2 side. Switch it to the open connection, boot pc and then switch it to the TV connection.

1. I could, but that would be a waste of energy.

2. Not a bad idea, but I hate putting money into something that there has to be a reasonable solution to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana00 /forum/post/0

If you have a spare monitor, you could try plugging it into the other DVI slot. The motherboard might be trying to display that 640*480 startup resolution, but isn't having any sucess with your TV. With a monitor attached that can display the 640*480, it might boot.

Other DVI slot? There is no other DVI slot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
hey just passing through, but FWIW, I've had the same problem whenever an Altera USB Blaster FPGA programmer was plugged into one particular PC, and another where this other development tool-type interface was plugged into my home computer's USB port. weird stuff, no explanation.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:

I just don't get this.

I have the same problem, my HTPC has an Asus 7600GT Video Card with DVI, HDMI, SVideo outputs, I used DVI-D to HDMI cable to connect with my Aquos LCD 52, the HTPC booted up once awhile, most of the time it did not boot up.

I think when I used the HDMI connection, the HDCP link/handshaking protocol was broken-up.

When I used the SVideo output of the Video Card with Component Break-out to connect with component inputs of my Aquos, it works since.

With this experience, I think the HDCP (the famous Hollywood's HD Content Protection feature) circuitry built in the HDMI interface between my LCD-TV and the Video Card does not work as advertised.

Definitely, it is the problem with the Video Card HDCP link, because I can use HDMI interface between My Denon DVD Player and the LCD-TV without any problem at all.

Hope, this info. could help.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
There could be a power issue. You didn't specify which video card you have, and which motherboard/CPU/Power supply. Some of the high end cards are very power hungry and the system may not be able to boot with the additional load of driving the video card at boot time. Check the ratings of your power supply, the components in your system, their power draw, and see if swapping the power supply for a different one results in the same issue. Try a high powered power supply.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AMD64 3500+ 2.2ghz, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum, CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) ATI X800XL AGP, Antec TruePower 2.0 430Watt PS.

Doesn't seem like the problem. Why would it not be able to handle it when it booted up, but just fine once it does boot?

·
Registered
126 Posts
We used to see these issues all the time in the call centers with regards to video cards and 3rd party monitors. It is just a handshaking issue where the card is connected to the TV and they just basically don't negotiate correctly. It works when you don't plug them in after they are on because they set to their defaults and stay that way when you plug them in. They only negotiate when you turn the system on.

The only way we ever resolved it was to see how the monitor talked to the video card and upgrade the firmware on the video card to negotiate correctly. Seeing that this is a television, you might have a harder time with firmware for that, but see if the company that makes your video card has an updated firmware or not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.