AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am posting this in the correct section..if not, then Mods please move.

When I got my new Samsung LCD TV last week, I was thrilled.

I still am mostly. There is just one little problem.

It appears that the LCD TV is causing a ton of interference on my IR relay setup.

I have all my Home Theatre equipment on the other side of my house in the office.

I control everything with a Dinky Link setup. I have been using this setup almost 10 years and it has not had a single issueuntil now.

The receiver has a panel that lights up when it is getting an IR signal..like when you press the button on a remote. When the TV is on, it stays lit all the time and my remotes work only about 10%

of the time now.

I have tested it and the TV is definitely the source.

I have tried to move the receiver around. It looks like the interference must be bouncing off the walls because unless I drop the receiver into an enclosure, it is getting the interference. And it is fairly useless in an enclosure.

I have tried the Glad Press On trick and also the masking tape trick. Neither worked. I have called Samsung. They could not help me either.

I have checked with Xantech (maker of the Dinky Link) and they do have a new LCD proof receiver but they want almost 100 dollars. That sounds like a complete rip-off. (The receiver is simple a little IR receiver panel that plugs into the relay.)

I know that I am not the first person to have this issue.

So what fixes have been tried on LCD TV's that worked? other than the two I already tried?

Is there a different IR receiver that is compatible, cheaper and able to filter out the IR interference?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my first LCD earlier this year. My cable box would not receive the signals. The two things that worked for me were to make sure that either the cable box was behind the television by about 4-6 inches or place blue painters tape on the cable box' IR receiver. To this day I still have blue tape.

Can you mount your IR receiver "behind" the TV, but still visible?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes In2Photos...I can mount my IR receiver behind the TV the way I am setting this up.

I am curious about the painters tape though.

I did not use painters tape. I used masking tape.

Since this IR setup is "line of sight", I never understood how covering the sensor was ever going to work. How exactly is the signal supposed to be getting through?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottathought /forum/post/15554551

Yes In2Photos...I can mount my IR receiver behind the TV the way I am setting this up.

I am curious about the painters tape though.

I did not use painters tape. I used masking tape.

Since this IR setup is "line of sight", I never understood how covering the sensor was ever going to work. How exactly is the signal supposed to be getting through?

I am not sure how it works but it does.
At least for me.

I bought my TV around May, a couple months after moving into our new house. After spending a month or so trying to decide exactly how we wanted the room setup I had temporarily moved the TV and cable box out of our fireplace niche and to an adjacent wall. I no longer could have the cable box "behind" the TV so I tried the painters tape deal and viola, it worked!

Since then I have placed everything into a new entertainment center, but haven't tried to remove the tape to see if the new configuration would eliminate my problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got the problem with the interference resolved last night.

My set-up is a 52" Samsung hanging over the TV niche. I built a brace that the TV actually mounts to in order to hang over the niche.

Because I needed a place to put the center speaker...and I wanted to be able to reach into the niche to reset the surge protector, etc....I decided to design the brace to have sections and the bottom section would be for the speaker, etc..

What I did last night was put the receiver about 4" inside the niche in this section.

I also completed the fake speaker grill last night to cover this entire area and make it look clean under the hanging TV. Up until last night, I had not thought about using the grill to block interference.

There was still some interference with the receiver 4" back in the niche...but when I mounted that grill, it went totally clear and now my remotes work like they used to.

It got me to thinking.....I will bet that a lot of the interference problems people are having can be cleared up if a person was to either build a small, fake speaker with the grill and mount the receiver inside...or if they could mount the receiver inside the grill of one of the speakers that they have in their home theatre.

I picked up the speaker fabric at a fabric shop this past week. I was thinking though...I bet any fabric would work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts