AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 42" Toshiba RV530U Tv that I've had for almost 4 months. I always though the purple I was seeing at off centre viewing was normal for LCDs. But I've looked at a ton of Tv's in stores latley and non of them look like this at an angle even the same model. Toshiba Is sending a tech to look at it but I don't want to look like an idiot. The backlight is only at like 20 and the ones in the store were set at maximum and I still couldnt see it there on any of them. Is this normal?

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MOV03171.flv

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MOV03172.flv

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It's hard to tell that the screen goes purple in your video. But, you can definitely tell that it changes color from the video. So if what you're seeing in person is purple (hard to tell the color in the video) then that's definitely not normal. Especially if other Toshiba's you've seen don't exhibit this same issue.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Stealthman, I too was thinking the same thing with my TV. I have a Sony 40W3000 and one thing I noticed was that off-center viewing resulted in that "purple" look to the picture. It struck me as odd that at the store, I didn't notice any of this when looking at a tv off-angle, even my same TV (at the store).

Two things that I think are the cause:

1) Watching TV in a dark room seems to bring out the "purple" look more in the picture when viewing off center.

2) The TV's at stores are generally mounted and are at a certain angle (they are usually facing a little down) and I think this lessens the "purple" as opposed to having the TV sit on it's stand directly in front of you.

These are just my opinions, not sure how valid they are. But I definitely know what you're talking about and I have a completely different TV than you. I doubt your TV has a problem.

·
Registered
305 Posts
looks normal to me. in stores you wont notice because the demo feed usually takes up the entire screen(no black bars) and in general stores are much brighter than at home tv environments which helps hide this problem a ton.

you'll notice samsung 650 owners bring this up often too. usually lower response rate means crappier viewing angles.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm interesting, It's a 178 degree TV how is that measured? I'm actually going to guess that it is the type of panel. I read somthing about IPS panels looking purple off centre

·
Registered
6,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthman80 /forum/post/14180683

hmmm interesting, It's a 178 degree TV how is that measured? I'm actually going to guess that it is the type of panel. I read somthing about IPS panels looking purple off centre

Well the purple can happen with any panel. What happens is as you go off center you quickly lose CR, particularly blacks, with any LCD. Some are better than others, and the IPS panels are definately the worst from what I can tell. But back to the point, as the screen lightens you start to see how "off" your white balance is. If your screen just lightens up, then your white balance is pretty good, but if it turns purple or green or blue, then you have too much of those shades represented in your whites. With the Samsung 650s, there was a lot of talk about this. Their off center whites where purple. Some people were able to fix it with the user menu white balance settings, but some people could not, and either returned the sets or ventured into the Service Menu to fix it (something I don't recommend doing unless you know what the hell you are doing, as you can really mess up your tv). But if your tv looks purple off axis, then most likely you are pushing too much red and blue, and not enough green. Try going into your white balance settings and either lowering your reds and blues or upping your green.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes thanks for that I have been readin the thread about the purple haze, but the color I'm seeing is more of a blue/purple and the backlight has a huge effect on how bad it is. Btw I was just at my buddies, he has a 37" Sharp d62u and Even at the most extreme angles the screen looked exactly the same as it does at dead centre

1 - 8 of 8 Posts