AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony will be coming out with a 42" LCD in Sept '03 and a 50" at the same time and will be priced at 2,500 and 3,000 respectively. I know samsung has a 40" LTM405W which I believe is extremely expensive and does NOT come with speakers to boot!

My question is simply, what are the PROS & CONS of the LCD vs. DLP in general, irrespective of the manufacturer's name. I would really appreciate a solid "info sheet" listing the pluses and minuses of each system. This board has "led" me to believe that the DLP is most likely the better of the two systems. Anything you have to add to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sorry I don't have a link, but this month's Sound and Vision has a pretty good article explaining the technology behind and listing the pros and cons of LCD, DLP, LCOS and CRT.

·
Registered
332 Posts
From my personal set viewing, I think 1. blacks are better on DLP,2. You are less likely to get bad pixels on a DLP set. Every single LCD set I have seen has had at least 2 if not more bad pixels (have seen 3 sets). I have not seen any DLP's yet that have bad pixels (have seen 3 sets), although there have been isolated reports on this board of bad DLP pixels which seemed to have been fixed by the manufacturer or vendor in most cases.

Some people have reported "clay faces" on the samsung DLP and poor NTSC pictures, but I personally have not seen this on any floor models, so I don't know where they are seeing this.

There are indiviual quirks to each box from each vendor though which weight into the equation, like no discrete remote codes for picture scaling on the samsung.

I don't think any of the sets do HD PIP or side-by-side, but the Samsung HLN619W may do it, will have to wait till the second half of the year to see.

You might also want to wait for newer LCOS or SONY SXRD sets to hit the market, as people have been raving about the pictures LCOS boxes put up.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard about the SXRD, please tell me/us more about it. Hopefully they'll make a set around 45 inches. Philips has a LCOS 44 and 55 inch coming out around summer this year! Any websites/info you might have on the Sony SXRD is appreciated.

Thanks, and have a nice weekend.........BTW, I'm leaning toward Samsusng's HLN467w.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
edkotch: please post the website for Sound and Vision. I typed "Soundandvision.com" and got a publishing company. Close, but no cigar!

·
Registered
70 Posts
kmil: use the search function in this forum and you will find many people's opinions of your exact question. Every couple of weeks, this same question is posed by someone different.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is a million-post thread on SXRD in the >$5,000 projectors forum here.

It's www.soundandvisionmag.com, btw.

LCDs are better are displaying colors by their nature. But they have worse screendoor, less dark blacks, less overall contrast than DLPs.

That said, good LCDs can be more than adequate for contrast and blacks and screendoor, so both are acceptable choices.

Mark

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rogo, but that page will not come, it has a comma at the end of "com". I tried it without the comma and it is still inaccessible. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Kmil:

I would like to know more about the Sony LCDs you mentioned in the beginning of this post. Can you tell me what you know of? $2,500 for a 42 incher sounds too good to be true. If true, I will seriously think of getting one. If you have a link to info., please post it, too. Thanks

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've also noticed that LCDs aren't as good at off axis viewing. The DLPs I've seen at HiFi Buys appear better when viewing down, up, or from the side than the Sony XBR LCD. the Sony especially looks washed out when viewing down onto the screen.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Michaelmoria: Young guy at a local electronics retailer gave me this info about the soon to be released Sony LCD. th Model number is KF-42WE610.

For the 50 inch its KF-50WE610. They will be called the "Grand Wega Rear Projection TV. I hope this helps, btw.....good luck finding info about it on the net!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Folks here's some interesting info I came across on www.insightmedia.com in their Projection Monthly and Microdisplay Report. They provide inside and insight as to what is going on in "de biz"! This direct quote I found to be most interesting: "TI also has begun to create some ripples with a symposium it held for selected journalists and projection makers at its Texas headquarters last mont. During this meeting, it unveiled the results of some long-term, 24/7 testing of five LCD and two DLP projectors, with image measurements taken over the course of 4000 hours. The testing was funded by TI, but conducted independently by the Rochester Institute of Technology. (my Captitalization): THE RESULTS SHOWED SOME COMPELLING IMAGES THAT INDICATED SERIOUS IMAGE QUALITY DEGRADATION FOR ALL FIVE LCD PROJECTORS, WHILE THE DLP PROJECTORS HELD UP VERY WELL." As Fox News says "We report, you decide".

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kmil
...THE RESULTS SHOWED SOME COMPELLING IMAGES THAT INDICATED SERIOUS IMAGE QUALITY DEGRADATION FOR ALL FIVE LCD PROJECTORS, WHILE THE DLP PROJECTORS HELD UP VERY WELL." As Fox News says "We report, you decide".
I have seen some of these reports and they are highly suspect. I would not say that LCD is perfect, but those test results do not reflect most peoples experiences with Sony LCD projectors.

This report was discussed at length in other threads.

LCD Reliability

Samsung DLP or Grand Wega

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
There is a million-post thread of the TI "tests" in the projector forums. I, for one, find their tests incredibly irrelevant and have -- subsequent to reading them -- bought an LCD projector. I will still have that projector in use years from now, with zero degradation.

mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.