Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I currently own a Toshiba HD rear projection 50" 16:9 tv. My son is taking it off my hands (a gift for his new house).

My question is about DLP vs LCD. I am currently leaning toward buying the new Samsung 50" DLP.

Any comments / suggestions???

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
Please use the search function since this has been asked many, many times. All you will get from this question is opinions: some prefer DLP, and some prefer LCD. The real question is which do you prefer, based on PQ and features?

You might also want to look at last month's Sound & Vision, which did a head-to-head between DLP and LCD. All 3 reviewers preferred DLP (by a slight margin). Pros of DLP (according to the magazine): sharper, more detailed PQ; better black levels. Pros of LCD: better colors. Cons of DLP: rainbows. Cons of LCD: screen door effects.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Pros of DLP (according to the magazine): sharper, more detailed PQ; better black levels. Pros of LCD: better colors. Cons of DLP: rainbows. Cons of LCD: screen door effects.
And then you discover JVC LCOS and you get the best of both worlds. Ahhh... heaven! :D

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETphoneHome
And then you discover JVC LCOS and you get the best of both worlds. Ahhh... heaven! :D
Great if you do most of your viewing in a bright room. Not so great if you mainly watch movies in a dark room. Sorry, but every technology has its own set of issues.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
You might also want to look at last month's Sound & Vision, which did a head-to-head between DLP and LCD. All 3 reviewers preferred DLP (by a slight margin). Pros of DLP (according to the magazine): sharper, more detailed PQ; better black levels. Pros of LCD: better colors. Cons of DLP: rainbows. Cons of LCD: screen door effects.
ISF says otherwise:

http://digitalhomecanada.com/index.p...=561&Itemid=51

they said properly calibrated sets as 1. plasma, 2. LCD 3. DLP

also, with technology as rapidly changing, some of the pros and cons are no longer valid.....new gen DLPs have very little rainbow or none at all, new gen LCDs like sony's 3LCD or SXRDs have very good blacks (and current LCDs can have beautiful blacks with a simple Neutral Density Filter mod).....there is a huge gray area now, and you really have to check them out.

I would put my calibrated and modded LCD against any DLP or plasma anyday....click on my sig for some sample pics.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Actually, whichever one you buy will have a good picture and then you will come here and tell everyone that the technology you bought is the best. Search around the web a little and you'll find plenty of articles to back yourself up... ;)

·
Registered
6,144 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Look at both technologies. I continued to return to the Sony LCD. I bought a 55XS955 and have been very pleased with it.

Unless you put your nose on the screen, you cannot see "screen door effect". Look for yourself. Don't buy anything based on what someone else tells you is the better picture.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBH
Look at both technologies. I continued to return to the Sony LCD. I bought a 55XS955 and have been very pleased with it.

Unless you put your nose on the screen, you cannot see "screen door effect". Look for yourself. Don't buy anything based on what someone else tells you is the better picture.

well said!!

and ditto on the KDF-55XS955 :D ......one of the nicest LCD displays out there to date!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo
ISF says otherwise:

http://digitalhomecanada.com/index.p...=561&Itemid=51

they said properly calibrated sets as 1. plasma, 2. LCD 3. DLP

also, with technology as rapidly changing, some of the pros and cons are no longer valid.....new gen DLPs have very little rainbow or none at all, new gen LCDs like sony's 3LCD or SXRDs have very good blacks (and current LCDs can have beautiful blacks with a simple Neutral Density Filter mod).....there is a huge gray area now, and you really have to check them out.

I would put my calibrated and modded LCD against any DLP or plasma anyday....click on my sig for some sample pics.
I don't see where they ranked LCD # 2 and DLP # 3

·
Registered
15,819 Posts
Of course, the real answer to the original question is that it comes down to personal preference, so each person needs to decide for himself/herself which looks best.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirt 87w
An article from 2003. lol

and you are???? :rolleyes:

great input there bud...thanks for that insightful piece of info regarding LCD vs DLP

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirt 87w
I don't see where they ranked LCD # 2 and DLP # 3

then perhaps you should read more carefully and thouroughly before posting.....there is a link at the end of the next-to-last paragraph discussion the article's findings...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...0-%20FINAL.pdf

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Of course, the real answer to the original question is that it comes down to personal preference, so each person needs to decide for himself/herself which looks best.

100% agree.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
then perhaps you should read more carefully and thouroughly before posting.....there is a link at the end of the next-to-last paragraph discussion the article's findings...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...20-%20FINAL.pdf
I can't find the reference to LCD RP being rated higher than DLP in this link -- and I'm a Sony LCD RP fan, so I have no hidden agenda :)

It seems to rate plasma first, then LCD (flat panel), then microdisplays (i.e. DLP and LCD RP).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETphoneHome
Actually, whichever one you buy will have a good picture and then you will come here and tell everyone that the technology you bought is the best. Search around the web a little and you'll find plenty of articles to back yourself up... ;)
That's so true! For all the geek-speak and endless number crunching that goes on in these forums, it really all comes down to personal preference. I don't know how many articles I read stating that DLP sets have better detail and sharpness than LCD sets, yet when I bought my Sony Wega, I found the opposite to be true. And no one is going to convince me otherwise; its what my eyes tell me is true. For picture quality trust your eyes, not what you read here or anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.