AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx123 /forum/post/0

I would like to know the avg. hours an LCD is compared to a RPTV DLP and sonys 3LCD

RPTVs are projectors in a box with replaceable lamps. 8000 hours has been quoted to me. My LCD panel manual says 60,000 hour life expectancy. Does that include the lamp? Assuming 4 hours a day viewing, you do the math.

·
Registered
170 Posts
yes but when 8k dies, yo spend $200 for a new lamp and get another 8k. When 60k dies, your screwed. Then again thats like 15 years so its time to buy a new tv anyway.

RPTV is more budget friendly but if it where me (and it is me too cause im buying a tv as well
) I would save up extra $ and grab the better set (LCD). Dont settle for less because of budget. Instead, save your money and wait tell you can afford the better one.

·
Registered
735 Posts
To be fair, at the end of the backlight life, you might be screwed but in the OEM game of LCD, replace a backlight is quiet the cottage industry. Watch the new generation of TV repairmen to replace backlights. They really are not that hard to put in. It is just that they haven't failed yet.

AND, when you consider that 60K+ hours is about 15 years of use, when and if they fail, do you really want to fix them or do you just want to buy a new set.

DB

·
Registered
588 Posts
Some LCD displays (eg, some Sharp) have user-swappable backlights. In any event, replacing a backlight is not the hardest repair in the world, it is pretty common on laptop computers. Getting a replacement lamp with exactly the same color properties might not be trivial in 15 years. - DR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.