AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a TV but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money. I just need a stopgap TV until OLEDs get more reasonable. Ive been looking at LCDs what I haven't liked up until now. The new ones seem to have acceptable pictures for me..especially for the money. Here is what Im seeing though there are ones with really good black levels, Sonys, Visios, but it seems the dont do well with video processing. They wont run judder free at 24p without some sort of smoothing or other effects. The samsungs seem to handle video great and will do Judder free with no processing but apparently they don't have very good black levels. This is all Ive gathered from CNET at least which seems to have some of the most comprehensive TV reviews out there. Basically I really done like the soap opera effect..it looks like I'm watching everything shot with a camcorder or something.

So are there any TVs out there what manage both? Good blacks and good video processing? FALD would be nice..dont really need or want 4k at the moment, to keep the cost down at least. Plus I'm not paying extra for what little content is out there right now. Last years clearance models are fine. ID like to keep it as inexpensive as possible but I know what Im looking for will probably cost a bit. Lets say under a thousand if possible...but I'm willing to pay more for something stellar.

·
Premium Member
18,304 Posts
Take a look at the Sony W800B series (or the non-3D version W700B at Best Buy). They're discontinued and clearance prices are the lowest i've seen. My W800B looks very natural, no SOE.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I definitely dont need 3D.

Anyone have any other reccos? Are there any non 4K Samsungs that have good blacks, CNET doesn't seem to think so?

Any other TVs?

Is there a good place to see what TVs have full array local dimming? I understand FALD will cost me more..but its something I'm willing to pay more for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts