AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched a movie (What About Bob with Bill Murry) on a NEC VT540 last night. I noticed that there was something about the picture that bothered me, towards the middle of the movie I figured it out. People in the movie looked like they were "cut in paste" not only was there some sort of border around them but also they looked flat. Is this normal with LCD or was the pj not set up right or just a cheap one?

Deron

------------------

Surfs Up!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The "cutout doll" look could mean that excessive "Edge Enhancement" has been applied to the DVD during the mastering process. Another problem that could cause such an appearance is called "posterization" and could be the result of either bad mastering or a player that "dithers" the 24-bit (16.7 million colors) of the DVD into fewer colors during playback.

The VT540 is a great inexpensive projector, as is another NEC product called the LT150. However, both of these are really business presentation projectors with video inputs that are "extra features", so they do not produce ideal pictures unless driven with a good high definition progressive scan signal via the VGA input. This can either be via a special PC called a "Home Theater PC" or an expensive piece of video gear called a scaler/line-doubler.

Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.