AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to optimally configure my PLV-60HT, and I'd like to understand how refresh works for LCD projectors.

I thought that LCD projectors, unlike CRT's, had no "native refresh rate". That is, for a static image, the LCD continually outputting light and the image is not being refreshed the way a CRT is by it's electron gun. The only importance of refresh rate for LCD's is how often a changing image gets updated. Thus, within the electronic limits of the projector (i.e. not so high as to inccur tearing), the best refresh rate should be set according to the source material, 59.94 Hz for NTSC video and 71.93 Hz for film.

Is this correct, or are there specific refresh rates based on the particular projector at which an LCD will provide the best image quality? I've often heard 60.00 Hz as the best rate for LCD projectors.

Does this same analysis carry over to DLP and D-ILA?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
This is incorrect. LCDs and DLPs do have an update rate, and in fact it can be quite troublesome really. If there is a mismatch in the incoming refresh rate and the update rate it can lead to tearing type artifacts. It's fairly safe to say that the internal update rate is usually 60Hz, though there are DLPs (and maybe some LCDs?) that use a variable update rate.

CRTs on the other hand have no native refresh rate as you put it. Provided the circuitry can handle it a CRT can output any frequency you want.

------------------

/frode

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.