AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking at Sony's new 17" LCD PED display, i had thought it was a no brainer of a buy. Sure LCD technology is new and we are sure to see faster refresh rates next yr and this leads to blurring in fast games or fast action scenes on DVD, however...it has it all input wise. Component 480i/480p/720p and 1080i as well as pc inputs and has a very crisp display.(500:1 contrast).

The thing is..this LCD can get so bright it's as if i'm starring into a fire, causing my eyes to get this tired like feeling.

Even on it's default setting of 5(10 is max) it's backlight is very powerfull, which is great for a crisp display, but you can feel the heat generated from it even up to 2 feet away.

Is this a case where all LCD's are heading..where the backlights are that strong to display a crisper image?

Because while i love the non flicker of LCD's(iv'e been dreaming of LCD's for yrs...) if all future LCD's are going to be this bright, as much as i love the non-flicker aspect, the high brightness will make me stick to crt's(non bright) instead.

For yrs. , crt's used to be nastier on the eyes, but now i'm worried LCD's are now to a point they are as well.

Anyone care to share some insight on why and how to deal with these LCD's brightness issue?

TIA

Philip O.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have the Sony 17" PED and it has a wonderful picture. I agree that the backlight is very bright but you can turn it way down. I have mine set at about 4.

This is a very versatile display. I have mine in a loft/office and I have three things connected to it, a PC with a MyHD tuner card via VGA, a DirecTivo recevier using s-video and a new Zenith HDV-420 OTA receiver via component. For the MyHD card and HDV-420 I'm using two Radio Shack model 1862 amplified indoor antennas sitting side-by-side in a quasi-horizontally stacked configuration which are connected together, pointed out the window at Mt. Wilson, 60 miles to the north ( I get all the LA stations with this configuration...).

Anyway, the PQ is fantastic and since I spend most of time up here, I end up watching this display more than my 433cmx, which is downstairs. If Sony comes out with a 22-24-inch version of this display, I' going to jump at it and I'll give this one to my son for his computer and his Xbox. I'm also waiting to see what the new Samsung 22" looks like, but it's not out yet.

-- Gary

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"I have the Sony 17" PED and it has a wonderful picture. I agree that the backlight is very bright but you can turn it way down. I have mine set at about 4. "

When you set it down to 4, does the brightness become a non issue on you're eyes?

You see i'm thinking it needs the brightness at 4-5 for it's good image quality, however i also need a display(crt or lcd) that is not tiring my eyes out.

If i may ask a couple questions:

Did that PED annoy you're eyes at it's higher backlight range(say 7-10)?

Does it annoy you're eyes at all at it's current 4 setting?

btw: How does it handle fast moving images/games?

(The background was blurring when playing the Indy car demo at Best buy, but that was the only demo i can judge it by.)

Because maybe i had it set too high at Best Buy and this weekend i'll try setting it to 4, and see how my eyes handle it.

I love that PED with it's widescreen, component input, and all 480i/480p/720p/1080i inputs, it's all i can ask in one display..well except that LCD technogy is still young and the brightness was just too bothersome on my eyes.

Thanks for that reply and any other replies back,

Philip O.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You know, I really hadn't noticed an eye problem at all and I have this thing on for hours each day. I have the "Backlight" set to 4, "Picture" set to 63 and "Brightness" set to 56. The picture looks great and as I said, I haven't had any problem with my eyes getting tired.

-- Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.