AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
The mother glass can do eight 37" (Gen 7) or eight 42" (Gen 8). When you go bigger, the number of displays drop, so the costs have to go up. My friends at Sharp say that a Gen 8 glass run costs about $7K. If true, $7k/8 = about $900 for the glass. If you only get 4 out of mom, the costs go to $1800 for LCD. This cost does not included any electronics or anything else. It seems that the mfgs are getting about 2X the cost of the LCD. This means that if they want to try to go bigger, it is going to cost at least $4-5K for the set. I think the mfgs feel that there is more money to be made on the smaller 42" sizes.

DB

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by killashandra /forum/post/0

I'm really waiting on a 70-82" one actually but seems that with all the 'talk' about the companies producing larger sized sets they actually do nothing.

Not true. You can preorder new Sony 70 incher for delivery in February:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/27466.html

Its packed with all possible gimmicks, the only problem is that it will move you back by 33 grands.

Regarding original question aboout >50" LCDs, there will be plenty of them showing up during this year from Samsung, Sony, Sharp, LG and others. The range is from 52-70", bigger ones will also be for having but for grandiose money.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus311 /forum/post/0

I've only seen one or two ever (besides the 100+" beasts). Will we start to see LCDs about 50" anytime soon? I'm hoping for 55ish inch LCD 1080p.

Samsung has been shipping the 57in since about June and the price is down now considerably.

Roy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.