AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seriously been shopping for a 42-47 LCD but all i have been reading about are problems with all brands. Sony LCDs with Clouding, Sharp and Vizio with Banding problems and also Samsung.

I would like to purchase one but they do not seem ready for the masses.

Is there a particular brand which does not have these problems and offer 1080?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC200 /forum/post/0


I have seriously been shopping for a 42-47 LCD but all i have been reading about are problems with all brands. Sony LCDs with Clouding, Sharp and Vizio with Banding problems and also Samsung.

I would like to purchase one but they do not seem ready for the masses.

Is there a particular brand which does not have these problems and offer 1080?

the biggest problem is the way it deals with SD and its not real good on any tv. However, if directv has 100 hd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC200 /forum/post/0


I have seriously been shopping for a 42-47 LCD but all i have been reading about are problems with all brands. Sony LCDs with Clouding, Sharp and Vizio with Banding problems and also Samsung.

I would like to purchase one but they do not seem ready for the masses.

Is there a particular brand which does not have these problems and offer 1080?

Get the one I'm watching right now...the Mitsubishi LT-46131...top-notch true 1080p PQ, and none of the "issues" common with Sony, Sharp, or Samsung.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Any brand is going to have its lemons. Remember, you don't hear from the 99% of the owners that aren't having any problems; just the 1% that are. I have a Samsung that I'm completely satisfied with -- no cloudy backlight or banding on mine.


If you read more posts from Sony, Sharp, and Samsung owners about problems, just consider how much more market share those 3 companies have compared to Mitsubishi or JVC. I imagine the failure rate is pretty even across the board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
No, LCD technology is not ready for prime time. Not because of unit-to-unit issues, but because of the technology's poor contrast ratios, inaccurate colours, and abysmal black levels. I just bought a Sharp LC-46D62U, which has been garnering a lot of praise, sight unseen (mail-order) and am thoroughly disappointed with it. It only made me appreciate my 40" Sony direct-view CRT even more.


Woe is the life of anybody who is looking for CRT picture quality in a more convenient form factor.


Phat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptran /forum/post/0


No, LCD technology is not ready for prime time. Not because of unit-to-unit issues, but because of the technology's poor contrast ratios, inaccurate colours, and abysmal black levels. I just bought a Sharp LC-46D62U, which has been garnering a lot of praise, sight unseen (mail-order) and am thoroughly disappointed with it. It only made me appreciate my 40" Sony direct-view CRT even more.


Woe is the life of anybody who is looking for CRT picture quality in a more convenient form factor.


Phat

Shoulda bought a Mitsu...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC200 /forum/post/0


Are the Plasmas without these problems?

I personally prefer the image plasmas produce more than LCDs. I think that the colors seem more natural and the black levels are better. Plasmas do not have clouding issues due to the way the technology works, and I have not heard much about banding.


There are fewer plasmas on the market with 1080p, although many are due out this year. Even still they may be more expensive than 1080p LCDs. That said, 1080p is overhyped on any screen size smaller than 50". You'd have to sit very very close to the screen to notice the difference.


Plasma issues focus mostly on black levels (though still better than LCDs) and burn-in potential. Burn-in is a possibility, though it is rare and with a little care, easy to avoid.


-Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRothman /forum/post/0


Plasma issues focus mostly on black levels (though still better than LCDs) and burn-in potential. Burn-in is a possibility, though it is rare and with a little care, easy to avoid.

-Eric

Are plasmas just a total no-no for use with a game console? I can't see taking a break every half hour or so just to give my screen a break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Wow, I thought the purpose of splitting the flat panel forum into three was to keep the PDP fanboys from trolling the LCD threads. Fat load of good that did.


The author is asking about quality control issues associated with the various brands of LCD on the market at this time. That is NOT the same thing as an LCD vs PDP debate. PDP manufactures, even the vaunted Pioneer and Panasonic brands, have their own quality control issues. In other words... Everyone's **** stinks.


Back to the realm of topicality... I don't believe there are many issues with 1080p Samsung LCD's other than the undefeatable overscan, and rumor has it that may either be repaired in a later firmware or defeatable after all. I don't know the details, but somewhere around here is more information. As far as banding on Sharp D62's, I thought I read right here in this very forum that the issue had to due with rollers in the assembly line and has since been fixed. As for clouding on Sony LCD's, I have only ever seen it on the overpriced and overhyped XBR lines. The v2500 series has always, with copious adjusting of the OOB settings, looked very nice to me. My wife, whose eyes are arguably better than mine, actually prefers its picture to the 720p Pioneer PDP's.


All that said, there are few if any complaints with the Mitsubishi LCD's. Sharp panels plus Mitsubishi electronics appears to be a winning combination for this round in the battle of 1080p LCD supremacy. As stated earlier the JVC LCD's get high marks as well, especially with regard to black levels and SD rendering. Buyer beware, the JVC's do NOT accept a 1080p input.


It goes without saying that there are MANY happy Toshiba Regza owners out there, which unfortunately shares the JVC's inability to accept a 1080p signal. There are PLENTY of Westinghouse owners squealing with delight as well, but when it comes to lower tier brands like that... Let's just say there's a reason Hyundai's and Kia's come with such long warranties. I'm happy for everyone who is happy with their Westinghouse purchases, but for me they just serve to put pricing pressure on the brands I would actually be willing to buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
I'm a relatively critical viewer (always calibrate with DVE), and I replaced a pretty nice Toshiba 35" CRT with a Samsung 40" LCD, and I'd never go back. If your holding off on the switch to HD simply because of what you read here, you don't know what you're missing. Ask any of these people posting if they'd like to go back to SD, and I doubt you'll find many takers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000rpm /forum/post/0


Are plasmas just a total no-no for use with a game console? I can't see taking a break every half hour or so just to give my screen a break.

The quick answer is "it depends." As one poster pointed out though, this thread should not be hijacked by a plasma discussion. If you go to the Plasma area, you can get more nuanced answers t othis question.


-Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJRothman /forum/post/0


That said, 1080p is overhyped on any screen size smaller than 50". You'd have to sit very very close to the screen to notice the difference.

I disagree somewhat. From a purists' perspective, you'd want your fixed-pixel display to have the same native resolution as your source material to avoid scaling losses. So if your source material is mostly 1920x1080, you'd want that in your display, even if it's smaller than 50".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffChap /forum/post/0


I'm a relatively critical viewer (always calibrate with DVE), and I replaced a pretty nice Toshiba 35" CRT with a Samsung 40" LCD, and I'd never go back. If your holding off on the switch to HD simply because of what you read here, you don't know what you're missing. Ask any of these people posting if they'd like to go back to SD, and I doubt you'll find many takers.

HD on my 40" Sony XBR direct-view CRT looks much better than HD on any LCD I've seen, including the latest Sharp Aquos I got. Effective resolution on the CRT is of course not as high, and geometry not as accurate, as LCD or plasma, but what impacts my eyes the most are colour accuracy, contrast, motion response, and black level, and the CRT is much better in these aspects.


If the posts I read in the LCD forum were more objective about the picture quality of LCDs relative to other technologies, they would have saved me some disappointment (the money is less of an issue--I'd pay handsomely for the perfect display technology).


Sorry, if I'm going too off-topic for the readership.


Phat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I don't understand all the talk about clouding. I just received my 46" Sony Brava 2 last Friday. It looks great. Yes there is clouding when you don't have a signal coming through or there is a pause between programs becoming active, but after the programs start, it looks great. Blacks are consistent across the screen, I have no complaints.


As for SD, the Brava 2 handles them beautifully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptran /forum/post/0


HD on my 40" Sony XBR direct-view CRT looks much better than HD on any LCD I've seen, including the latest Sharp Aquos I got. Effective resolution on the CRT is of course not as high, and geometry not as accurate, as LCD or plasma, but what impacts my eyes the most are colour accuracy, contrast, motion response, and black level, and the CRT is much better in these aspects.


If the posts I read in the LCD forum were more objective about the picture quality of LCDs relative to other technologies, they would have saved me some disappointment (the money is less of an issue--I'd pay handsomely for the perfect display technology).


Sorry, if I'm going too off-topic for the readership.


Phat

You may just get that chance. OLED is on the horizon. With
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ust10701 /forum/post/0


I don't understand all the talk about clouding. I just received my 46" Sony Brava 2 last Friday. It looks great. Yes there is clouding when you don't have a signal coming through or there is a pause between programs becoming active, but after the programs start, it looks great. Blacks are consistent across the screen, I have no complaints.


As for SD, the Brava 2 handles them beautifully.

If you can see clouds, then you have a defective panel. Plain and simple. Sony now knows there is an issue.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top