AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase an LCD or Plasma. Leaning towards LCD because of lighting conditions. I have a question regarding the new USB 2.0 input as seen on the new 2009 Samsung's.

Here are my questions.

What video format can be played? AVI, MPG, DIVX etc

Does it only recognize flash drive or can I hook up a powered external hard drive?

How is the sound affected? Will it play on a connected audio system?

Is there such a thing as a flat panel that offers an input so that an external device can be connected to be used as a PVR?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would start by going to the LCD manufacturer's web site and there's usually a link to the manual. Find the index, go to the section on the USB drive, and it will usually tell you what it can play. Or, go to the back of the manual where the specifications are, and sometimes it's listed there as well.

I'm also interested in one with this feature - but here's something else to consider. Don't pay more than $100 extra for the feature, because there's a "TV box" made by Western Digital I think that does exactly what you're looking for and it can be connected to ANY TV. It's about $100. I actually want it on the TV as well, but that WD box is pretty nice because it has HDMI and component outputs.

I wish you well in your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, I have never heard of such a device. Do you have link or model number of the Western Digital device?

As for the USB 2.0 question. Can you recommend a TV that is safe to play all AVI/DivX and MP3 files?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to clarify. The Western Digital box you are talking about isn't something that plugs into a PVR is it? I am looking for a TV that I can connect an external hard drive to to avoid a PVR box completely.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The Samsung 6,7,8,9 series play many different video files from Fat32 or NTFS formatted devices ie, thumbdrives, hard-drives etc.

Here is a link to what these tvs can play simply by plugging in your hard drive to the usb ports:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/p.../630codecs.jpg

The most annoying thing is probably the lack of DTS audio support because samsung did not want to pay for the licensing just like popcorn video player.

As you can see from the list, its almost like having an embedded WDTV player in the TV. I dont know if WDTV has DTS audio but it doesnt take long to convert DTS to AC3 or AAC for 6 channel audio anyways.

I love my 52B630 for the Matte screen, great PQ, and price, but the B650 has more internet streaming and other features along with a more reflective screen.

Maybe the new LG Tvs can play vids thru the usb port?

Having the media player as a part of the TV is very convenient because all you need is the tv remote to have access to hundreds of HD vids. Check out the b630 or b650 owners forums to see the type of bluray quality vids we have played.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I second that. I bought the Samsung 630 for precisely that reason (the 610 is the only set in the 6 series without USB 2.0 for movies). I can now get my 1080p content onto the TV without needing a dedicated bluray burner and bluray player. I see this killer feature as essentially allowing me to leapfrog over the whole bluray era.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitekrednek1977 /forum/post/17026690

I'm looking to purchase an LCD or Plasma. Leaning towards LCD because of lighting conditions. I have a question regarding the new USB 2.0 input as seen on the new 2009 Samsung's.

Here are my questions.

What video format can be played? AVI, MPG, DIVX etc

Does it only recognize flash drive or can I hook up a powered external hard drive?

How is the sound affected? Will it play on a connected audio system?

Is there such a thing as a flat panel that offers an input so that an external device can be connected to be used as a PVR?

Forgot to answer your other question about the sound. When watching movies via the usb, the 6 channel audio is output thru the optical out on the tv and sent to your reciever.

About the Pvr, I have no idea.

There must be some other tvs out there that will be copying Samsungs media player abilities, I know that it was a major factor in sealing the deal for me. The Sonys and Samsungs seem to be the leaders in picture quality and when the Samsung B630 has a great PQ, Matte screen, cheap, and on top of all that has a badass media player- cant go wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts