AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an new member and this is my first post.

I have read the AVS forum for a couple of months and seen very little about new LCOS technologies for FP. I thought that with the abundance of FP industry people posting here there would be more information.

So how about it guys. What do you know?

I'm particularly interested in LCOS chips from Three Five Systems ( www.threefive.com ). They claim:

Resolution up to UXGA (1920x1080)

Color depth to 10 bits

Contrast up to 1000:1

Low power

They also claim low prices because of the ability to use existing fabrication. Does anyone know what kind of yields they are getting?

They have a developer kit for projector manufacturers and are working with optical companies to provide a "turn key" solution for OEMs.

Infocus R&D is working with Three-Five. Anybody have news on that?

The RCA Scenium L5000 is a RP using the Three Five chip. Were they at CEDIA? Has anyone seen an L5000?

Here is a link to RCA explaining their implementation: http://www.rcascenium.com/Technology...101329,00.html

Are any FPs using the Three-Five LCOS chips going to be shown at CES?

Thanks Alan for running a great forum!

--sdc

·
Registered
611 Posts
The new issue of SGHT talks to the Scenium but I have not had time to look at it (the issue).

[This message has been edited by Vlubbers (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
LCOS yeah, I want to know also.

Tell me three-five, when are we gonna see these LCOS laser based units you're secretly working on. 1500:1 contast and colors to die for.

I'm only asking this for two reasons.

1. Everybody hates light bulbs. THEY SUCK! they are expensive and innefficient.

2. It may innevitably bury GLV technology. GLV is so tight lipped. If you can tell us when your laser units are coming, then we probably know when GLV is too.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
two points:

- i hear TAW is planning to power their new pj with a nuclear powered black hole that puts out a bazillion lumens of perfect light and has a half life equal to plutonium. (ok i made that up)

- i figure we will be old men before consumers could afford laser powered projectors. the water cooling system alone will set us back a fortune.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

·
Registered
15 Posts
One of my favorite features of DLP and D-ILA is that neither suffers from burn-in damage when playing 4x3 material on a 16x9 display and vice versa. LCOS looks interesting, but it appears from the descriptions I've read that it would be just as susceptible to burn-in as traditional LCDs. Is this correct, or am I missing something important?

·
Registered
842 Posts

- i figure we will be old men before consumers could afford laser powered projectors. the water cooling system alone will set us back a fortune.

No longer true. And it has not been true for quite a while.

Handheld IR diode pumped continuous wave yag lasers are

available. I have a number of 5 watt (single fiber) and

10 watt (dual fiber) units. All 110 volt powered with

very small self contained cooling systems (for the IR

diodes). These are at least 10 times the power necessary

for the brightest picture you could stand. On ebay

DPSS lasers are going for $500 to $1000 each. Even

these are plenty of power. (and damm dangerous)

Here is a 5 watter... http://gilmore.chem.nwu.edu/diodelaser.jpg

Argon ion lasers that use 220 3 phase and 100 amps plus

20 gallons of water per minute are obsolete.

[This message has been edited by kevin gilmore (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked into the diode lasers that Kevin mentioned and they are very promising. Robert Melcher, CTO at Three Five Systems said; "You get deeply saturated colors, and the collimated beam makes all the optical components work better". Unfortunately he also said the reason they are not being used in home unit are "The cost of the red laser, the cost of the green laser, and the cost of the blue laser." Until diode lasers become cost-competitive with $200 arc lamps, lasers are unlikely to find a home in commercial systems. He also mentions that the limitation on the resolution is not the silicon but the lamp and other factors. There is a complete article about this at: http://oemagazine.com/fromTheMagazin...etterview.html

I'm a little dissapointed in the lack of knowledge/interest in LCOS. Many people here rave about DILA and acknowledge its high cost, difficult setup, required external processors, noise. There seems to be a lot of interest in high resolution, high contrast, lower cost projectors that don't have all those issues.

Does anybody here realize that DILA is LCOS? JVC better get their act together because the LCOS market is about to become crowded with players that will deliver a better consumer product.

Everest is making a new LCOS projector that is shipping this year with full production scheduled for next year. Ther are using LCOS chips from Aurora who has also created image processing chips (used for 3-2 pulldown and other enhancement). You can find out more about Aurora at http://www.aurora-sys.com and here is a press release from Everest about their projector: http://www.klaser.com.tw/home3b.htm

Here is another press release about Aurora's chip being used in a Samsung RP: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010801/0500.html

Did anybody see this at SID?

Lower cost high resoulution/high contrast LCOS projectors are coming and products will hit the market in volume next year. Wake up guys and start looking at and discussing this technology and upcoming products. Everyone is asking for low cost and high performance, this looks like the technology that will deliver.

--sdc

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Dave, D-ILA is LCOS

come on people(you know who you are) spit up the info. Just a rough time frame when we will see a commercial or consumer unit with a laser.

dont make me start pointing fingers.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
As mentioned, D-ILA is a kind of LCoS. But there are others.

I have seen the Phillips chips at the SID show. The RPTV they showed there had excellent resolution and contrast, with no sense of pixelization. The colors were spectacular, allowing a wide ranging palette with firm but delicate pastels. The failure of LCD and DLP to show a broad range of colors is one of their downfalls. (3-chip DLP's show a broad palette.)

I also saw the new Hitachi LCoS FP projector at Infocomm. It was extremely poorly demoed, with a spreadsheet on a very small screen in a little hole. I could not tell if it was any good or not. Others at the show were shaking their heads about the way it was being shown.

I am anxious to see the RCA 50000 model FPTV but haven't seen it yet.

There is also a new D-ILA from Christie Digital called Vivid Red. It uses the JVC technology but appears to address some of the problems with current JVC D-ILA projectors. I have not seen it.

I have seen the Madrigal JVC D-ILA. While I assume that it was setup poorly and with an inappropriate screen, I would have to say that it did not impress me at all. A very grainy picture (Gladiator) with poor contrast. It is hard to evaluate the colors on Gladiator, given its dichromatic color scheme (blue sometimes, orange others).

To answer one of your questions: I think there is a lot of interest on this forum in the new LCoS machines but we just haven't seen them yet (other than JVC's D-ILA).

Dave,

You asked about burnin. As I understand it LCoS has some potential for burnin but it is not permanent. In time, the burn-in goes away. Others who know more may want to add to this.

[This message has been edited by rlsmith (edited 09-18-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.