AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like another technology in trouble.

http://asia.cnet.com/news/systems/0,...9198391,00.htm

I was always fascinated by this tech cos the of the potential for truly portable palm size projecters. Oh Well.

With Intel's recent track record Intels support for a technology is its doom.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I was going to post this, but yeah... so much for the $1k LCoS TV by christmas 2005 eh?

I wonder if we are going to see some humble pie getting eaten by some folks on the forum??

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
"Intel has stopped work on its liquid crystal on silicon semiconductor, stating that the cost of research and development necessary to produce the product wouldn't be worth the potential revenue.

"It is a return-on-investment issue," Intel spokeswoman Shannon Love said."

Capitalism at work!!!

Another example is America's dependence on foreign oil. Even at ~$55 per barrel it's still cheaper (forget the environment) than other competing energy sources.

Plasma FP's seem to be poised to become the predominate technology in the video display market; pushing competing alternatives aside (SED?) or delaying their introduction due to unfavorable ROI.

Kind of like what Ethernet did to Token-Ring.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well they might say it is ROI but no one has truly been able to solve the problems of yield and lifetime that is related to this tech.

Personally I thought this was much better than DLP. Much more miniaturized and lower power consumption. And in the long term the best bet for truly 3D holographic displays. Imagine that.

A credit card you can put in your pocket and setup on a table and project any info you want to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.