AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the SXRD's in the stores lately and I've noticed that the picture in all stores looks very smooth (blurry sometimes) to me, not sharp. I am use to a sharp HD picture on my current older model Sony HDTV. Is this lcos technology, or am I missing something? I want to buy a TV with a crisp HD picture, am I looking at the wrong set then? Am I referred to as a person who likes artificial picture sharpness as apposed to a real lifelike picture? Maybe I am geting this blurry impression because I have not seen it on a true dedicated HD feed? I want to get this TV because its the latest and greatest, but I'm not sure If I can get past the picture.

Also have another question (don't want to clutter board with new thread). Using an HDMI hookup, can I disable the audio part of that and overide it with a separate optical digital audio cable? Reason why I am asking is twofold:

1. I have a current setup using DVI only and an expensive Monster Optical cable. When I make the switch to an HDMI hookup on a newer TV, I still want to be able to use that Monster cable if i can...or should?

2. Secondly, my current audio receiver does not have HDMI support. I don't really feel like buying a new one that does right now.

So in short, if I hookup HDMI and a separate optical digital cable, which one would overide the other?

·
Registered
15,683 Posts
Have you looked at DLPs? They give a very sharp PQ.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would not describe either of the Sony SXRD's I have seen as "soft" or "blurry". In fact, they are absolutely chrystal clear and pinpoint precise. Both have been fed "canned" 1080i, i.e. the highest quality source material available. I have no idea how they would look with a lower quality source material.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I think you should look at a 1080-i VIDEO-material broadcast. If you are looking at sharpness as a critical thing, do not look at film-based material to impress you and your jaw. I think you owe it to yourself...further, tolook at a higher band-width broadcast...say maybe HDNet, with a video-produced program. Go watch it...and then come back to us and say it is just not sharp enough. Then I want you to tell us what is SHARPER that THAT ! I can tell you what it WILL NOT be...DLP will not get you better than the SXRD. The 50" or 60" Sony SXRD is as good as it gets, and video-material is REALLY sharp. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not looked at DLP yet, or given it much serious thought with all the rainbow talk.

I guess I will have to make it a point to go over my friend's house (lives far away, or else I'd be there already) and check out his HD feed on his SXRD. Although he does have it running through digital cable, not sure that will look as good as the Direct-TV...will it? He is a first time HDTV guy, so i cannot really trust his opinion over the phone because

"everything" looks great to him compared to what he was use too :)

Anyway..I hope when i check out 1080p it doesn't look so "soft" and "film-like" to me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
First the hdmi question:

You would connect the hdmi to the TV and the optical audio to the receiver. Mute the TV and use the receiver and speakers attached to it. Very few receivers have hdmi connections. Also, you really overpaid to get the Monster for that purpose - well, for any purpose really, other than to feel good about having Monster cable. Check out this article:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,121777,00.asp

LCOS - Did the other 1080P TVs running the SAME source look any sharper than the sony? The higher the resolution of the TV, the more it shows flaws in the input signal. Put a good feed into the sony to jvc 1080P lcos sets and they will be sharp. One issue with seeing TVs in stores is you have to set all the options yourself since you have no idea what the sales people or the people that looked at the TV before you set the TV options to. Another is the input source and how many times it's been split.

The latest magazine reviews on the sxrd and jvc 1080p lcos sets say they are sharp and the basically the best 1080P sets on the market. They've also jumped ahead of the DLP sets in the one area dlp was always stronger - black levels. The JVC was just reviewed and it was rated as having the best black levels of any RPTV reviewed so far.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ttmatsu,

Unfortunately I learned my lesson the hard way with the Monster stuff. Before I learned better from this board, I always spent a ton of money on their cables. Not anymore.

As far as the other sets I looked at. The A10 looked sharper, not sure why this would be. The guy at Electronics Expo did say it was running on a different connection then the A10 though, but still.

I still think I will end up with the SXRD, and just hope when I get it home that it looks sharp to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been looking at tv's extensively the past month and so far the PQ is about a tie between a Mitsubishi 52628 and the Sony SXRD 50". Both are about the same price, and the PQ is fairly equal to my eyes, so I went with the Mits b/c the cabinet is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

When I was looking, it seemed that both the SXRD and the mits had an absolutely stunning crisp, clean HD picture and the SD wasn't too bad either. No blurriness on either one.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Because LCoS and SXRD technology cannot get perfect alignment (it is improving) their can be several pixels misalignment. This would decrease the resolution and make the picture look softer. Another problem LCoS and SXRD technology has to overcome is the uniformity of color over the panel - you can get color variances across the screen. Again this is improving but these problems have caused several manufactures to withdraw from producing LCoS sets and Intel gave up on making LCoS chips.

·
Registered
250 Posts
From what I have read, the SXRD is known to have a smooth picture, even talked about in the reviews.

I have noticed the same thing when looking at the SXRD at BB, it just does'nt look sharp like the old CRTs(picture tube HD sets). You can really notice the difference when you look at the SXRD and then look at a LCD.

I dont know if it can show the dew on a football helmet, peach fuzz on a females chin while reporting the local news,it hasnt gave me that WOW factor, show the Looking out he window effect like the CRTs? Maybe its the feed at BB, then again its known for a smoooooth picture. I do know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've been to two Best Buys that had the SXRD running their standard HD feed. At one store the SXRD was next to a Wega 3LCD, the Wega looked crisper and brighter. I didn't play with any settings but it seems as if someone incorrectly adjusted things or a lack there of. At the other Best Buy, same thing, soft picture while watching HD feed.

However, I've seen the SXRD on it's own demo loop at Circuit City which looked very crisp and on one scene looked down right spectacular. I generally never even look at the RPTVs they have set up but the colors and sharpness made me do a double take and watch for about 5 minutes. I also looked at a SXRD at a Sears which had it next to a 50" Panny. Both were being feed the same signal and the SXRD looked good/sharp, unfortunately someone really screwed with the Panny's settings cause it looked very washed out.

You can pretty much guarantee that the Best Buy feeds (and most others) are not a good indication of how a set will look and perform at home.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got this reply when posting the same question on a similar forum:

Quote:
In the past on another forum when the Hitachi LCOS came out, people did close-up (microscopic) screen shots and it was apparent that based on the technology, the pixels don't have distinct edges. Yes you can see some "basket weave" screen door when you get right up to the screen, but when viewed extremely close it becomes apparent that the pixels "bleed" together at their edges. Reminents of one pixel can be seen in the adjoining pixel near that edge. Neither LCD nor DLP exhibit this phenonom. This may be what appears to give the picture its smooth image.
And Pepco, I love your analogy:
Quote:
I dont know if it can show the dew on a football helmet, peach fuzz on a females chin while reporting the local news
Thats what I'm talking about...i hope it can do those things if I bring it home!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just got my 1080p JVC D-ILA and it has that exact "SXRD look" - the image is kinda soft and kinda blurry. It's tolerable with very high quality HD broadcasts, but anything else is blur city.

My old LCD projection TV is definitely crisper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I see the same thing and I worry about it. I have seen the Sony 60" SXRD at two Best Buys and one CompUSA and the picture always seems smooth to me when compared to others. It's not bad just too smooth and not as sharp as I would expect from a set that has received such great reviews. The Sony A10 and A20 look sharper to me, I don't know why. I'm so leaning towards buying this set because of all the rave reviews from all the magazines and also on this board but the smoothness of the picture is holding me back. I would like it to be sharper. :confused:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo
Because LCoS and SXRD technology cannot get perfect alignment (it is improving) their can be several pixels misalignment. This would decrease the resolution and make the picture look softer. Another problem LCoS and SXRD technology has to overcome is the uniformity of color over the panel - you can get color variances across the screen. Again this is improving but these problems have caused several manufactures to withdraw from producing LCoS sets and Intel gave up on making LCoS chips.
Excellent post. These errors are correctable only at the factory or by swapping out the very expensive light engine.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwinter
I see the same thing and I worry about it. ... I would like it to be sharper. :confused:
Why worry about it? If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT.

J

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
I'm not so sure that the problem is so much LCOS technology as the JVC 720p D'ILA sets appear sharper.

I swear, it looks like the picture on the SXRD is defocused similar to what people were doing with front projectors to blur out the pixel grid. Could it be that the LCOS/SXRD chips are too small and by the time the image in enlarged in such a small space that its not possible to get the total picture in focus? This would mean that parts of the screen is underfocus while other parts are overfocused (not sure there is such a word as overfocused, but I think you know what I mean).

What might be worth doing is to put up the Avia grid that has the dot in the middle of each crosshatch to see if the image is sharper in parts of the screen and more blurry in other parts. I suspect that the most in focus would likely look like a half doughnut.

By the way, the Qualia 006s I've seen didn't jump out as being any sharper, but they certainly weren't any softer, either. But they do have a larger SXRD chip in them.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepco
I dont know if it can show the peach fuzz on a females chin while reporting the local news
Let it be known that is all I am interested in. When Dinkins checks out a set he is all about the chin fuzz.

Get the fuzz buzz, brutha. Get the fuzz buzz.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo
Because LCoS and SXRD technology cannot get perfect alignment (it is improving) their can be several pixels misalignment. This would decrease the resolution and make the picture look softer.
I can't believe no one has challenged this statement. If the alignment between the LCOS chips were off by "several pixels", the result would be (1) a severe "convergence" error causing obvious color fringing, and (2) would reduce the effective resolution by a factor of 3 to NINE. This would constitute "gross misalignment of the panels" and would be grounds for a return or repair. I.e., such a set would be "broken" by anyone's definition.

Having said that, I have no idea what the acceptable tolerence is between the panels. But is sure ain't "several pixels."

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate
These errors are correctable only at the factory or by swapping out the very expensive light engine.
"At the factory"? Come now. The light engine is surely a field replaceable part. You're saying the TV must be returned to Japan (or Mexico or China or wherever) for repair?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.