AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is THE Microdisplay Technology expected to dominate in years to come.

design advances and technological breakthroughs are advancing very quickly in this arena in a very rapid manner and it has none of the theoretical drawbacks DLP or LCD RP.

eLCOS Microdisplay Technology, Inc. has announced it will demonstrate its high contrast eHD70 microdisplays at the Displaysearch HDTV Conference 2005 in Beverly Hills, CA, August 22 - 24, 2005. eLCOS will exhibit the microdisplays with a JDS Uniphase UltreXâ„¢ projection engine in a rear projection HDTV set.

eLCOS introduced its eHD70 eXTREME digital 1080p microdisplays in January at CES 2005. The eHD70 native resolution is full HD at 1920 x 1080 pixels demonstrating an impressive on screen performance of 4000:1. The eHD70 uses eLCOS' Dynamic Digital Drive technology to enable a fully digital data path from the video input signal to the pixel circuitry of the microdisplay, eliminating all common analog image artifacts such as flicker and cross-talk. The vertically aligned nematic liquid crystal mode features an inorganic alignment layer that insures a long product lifetime.

Highlighted Links
http://www.elcos.com

The projection engine for the demonstration is the JDS Uniphase UltreXâ„¢ projection engine including JDSU's proprietary BCE (Birefringent Compensating Element) for contrast enhancement. The Ultrex engine provides a high contrast, high ANSI contrast projection engine for rear projection television that enables high brightness levels through very high efficiency.

Other major components include the Silicon Optix video processor using its Realta HQV video processor and Dai Nippon's FLL4.0 screen.

"We're excited about the great results we've seen with the use of the BCE and our eXTREME digital 1080p solution," declared eLCOS CEO Warren Shih. "The contrast of our systems has improved from 2000:1 to 4000:1 without the need for dynamic apertures."

The eLCOS demonstration will be at Booth 19 in the International Ballroom at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, CA.

About eLCOS Microdisplay Technology:

eLCOS Microdisplay Technology ( www.elcos.com ), a fabless design house for LCOS (Liquid Crystal on Silicon) microdisplays, is a venture capital backed company with headquarters in Sunnyvale, CA. eLCOS is a leader in next-generation display technology providing all-digital, dynamic video display solutions. All eLCOS products utilize proprietary patent-pending digital image generation technology to insure the purest colors and the most lifelike images. eLCOS' team of talent includes the pioneers of digital LCOS technology. eLCOS has offices in the United States, China and Taiwan.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Other major components include the Silicon Optix video processor using its Realta HQV video processor

what?

What?

WHAT??????

·
Registered
520 Posts
Same people who think up color names for lipstick and automobiles.

·
Registered
15,810 Posts
Boy do I love marketing! Only marketing teams can come up nonsense like "expected to dominate" and "technological breakthroughs." Based on this and other posts you have written regarding the upcoming DILAs and Toshiba DLPs, you seem to be very susceptible to marketing hype, gazelle.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
" This is THE Microdisplay Technology expected to dominate in years to come."

Exactly no one who follows the industry actually expects LCOS to dominante anything. It currently has a single-digit market share.

"design advances and technological break"throughs are advancing very quickly in this arena in a very rapid manner and it has none of the theoretical drawbacks DLP or LCD RP."

No, it has it's own theoretical drawbacks. And since most of the drawbacks of the competition are only theoretical and not actual for most people, well, who cares?

Mark

PS -- I may be buying an LCOS RPTV, so please don't accuse me of bias.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't be too quick to dismiss LCOS. Sony's high-end offering is based on LCOS so they are making a bet on it which has to say something for the technology.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Boy do I love marketing! Only marketing teams can come up nonsense like "expected to dominate" and "technological breakthroughs." Based on this and other posts you have written regarding the upcoming DILAs and Toshiba DLPs, you seem to be very susceptible to marketing hype, gazelle.

Umm, no. Actually LCoS-based technology IS expected to dominate the Microdisplay market in the coming years. I'ts the opinion of many experts in the field. Marketing? Sure. but marketing or not, LCoS is a heavy favorite right now to dominate in Microdisplays. Is it at the moment? Of course not. LCD RPTV's dominate now. Not many would have predicted that as little as two years ago. Who knows what technologies will develop in the future of Microdisplays? No one. But the prevailing current opinion is that LCoS stands the best chance of supplanting LCD RPTV's as the dominant sales force in this market niche. Your can certainly have a differing opinion, but you would be among a small minority at present. If you're smarter than the industry gurus, what are you doing here criticizing them when you could be developing your pet technologies, whatever they may be and proving everyone wrong?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFISHER
Don't be too quick to dismiss LCOS. Sony's high-end offering is based on LCOS so they are making a bet on it which has to say something for the technology.
Not only Sony. Many others are waiting in the wings. JVC, LG, HP and many more to come in the next 2-3 years.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Actually LCoS-based technology IS expected to dominate the Microdisplay market in the coming years. I'ts the opinion of many experts in the field."

No it isn't. Not anyone who isn't marketing the stuff. And most of those people aren't dumb enough to claim it's going to dominate anything.

JVC, for instance, is content to market its own products without hyping the technology. Sony perhaps can't help itself touting its own tech, but they are planning on selling many, more LCD RPTVs than LCOS RPTVs for the foreseeable future.

The only people claiming LCOS is going to dominate anything are from people from failed companies like Brillian.

I'm not dismissing LCOS, but let's stay real. LCD + DLP are outselling LCOS about 10:1 and they, well, aren't going anywhere. Except, of course, to the ultimate scrap heap as flat panels ultimately kill them all. In the meantime -- the next half decade -- when RPTVs continue to occupy a size-price niche that the flat guys can't yet assail, LCOS will be sitting in third place as far as the eye can see.

·
2,431 Posts
I was an early supporter of LCoS ( Philips Ceneos) and think that it does have some advantages over other technologies though there has been problems producing the panels in the past.

If they offer a line with the Realta HQV video processor and Dai Nippon's FLL4.0, that would be impressive. I would imagine a very high price point like the Sony 006.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Rogo: I have no doubt that what you say is true but it makes me wonder..is Sony making the right moves by going with SXRD which won't sell much, abandoning for the most part plasma, not producing DLP--is the bulk of their sales--their bread and butter if you will--going to be LCD? I don't know how much Rear Projection LCD can improve--but of course Sony has sold tons of them and I don't know how large Sony will go with Flat Panel LCD. I guess my real question rogo is in your opinion is Sony producing the right technology mix for the future? If you were the supreme leader of Sony would you be pursuing their market strategy?

P.S. Just curious. I'm thinking about purchasing a SXRD set with the adjustable iris--that is revolutionary for me as I have always been a CRT first--then Plasma 2d supporter.

·
Registered
15,810 Posts
What I bet will happen is that all these technologies will sell well since they all have their own set of pros and cons, and different people have different tastes and preferences. Will any one technology drive another out of business? I sincerely doubt it. I have no doubt that many manufacturers will jump on the LCOS bandwagon since it is a promising technology. But despite many who have written that DLPs are doomed to fail, there sure are many manufacturers jumping on that bandwagon the last year or two due to DLP growing sales. All these technologies are here to stay.

·
Registered
15,810 Posts
Gazelle, my post above regarding marketing hype was meant to be tongue in cheek. But, who do you think creates the "buzz" around products and technologies? You may be talking to "experts" who are excited about coming products, but believe me, it's the marketing teams of Sony, JVC, Toshiba, etc, etc, that created that buzz, especially regarding products not even available. That's what marketing does! I am not an electronics expert by any means, but I do have quite a bit of marketing experience.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
I'm not dismissing LCOS, but let's stay real. LCD + DLP are outselling LCOS about 10:1 and they, well, aren't going anywhere. Except, of course, to the ultimate scrap heap as flat panels ultimately kill them all. In the meantime -- the next half decade -- when RPTVs continue to occupy a size-price niche that the flat guys can't yet assail, LCOS will be sitting in third place as far as the eye can see.
Of course LCD and DLP currently outsell LCoS 10:1. JVC is the only mass producer of LCoS sets and those are the old 720p chips. That is all going to change very quickly. I am sure Sony would not be calling LCoS "their next generation trinitron" if they did not feel it would not dominate the market. Once the public gets a look at 1080p LCoS done right and at an acceptable price point it will be all over other microdisplays. I am sure LCoS sets will get a little thinner, but its true that it will never be as "cool" as a flat panel. But then again flat panels will always be limited by the physical size of sheet glass and the cost and logistics of shipping such a frailge piece of equimpmet. They will never be afforable in the 70" to 80" range that LCoS scalability can do so easily at very little cost. Price/performance ratio is king when it comes to mass sales and when people see the picture quality of the LCoS sets that will surpass most high end plasmas along with a price point 50-60% less of comparable sizes, most will be willing to give up the "cool" factor of a wall hanging TV. In short, LCoS will dominate by mid to late 2007 as all manufactures come on board and will have a nice 10-15 years run until something better AND cheaper comes along.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I agree with all you say. Actually, Sony 3LCD's are totally dominating the Microdisplay market at present accounting for almost 40% of the Microdisplay sales and still growing in market share. It doesn't change the fact that basically, as you said; LCD and DLP are dead-end technologies that are going nowhere long-term. The difference is LCoS is not a dead-end technology and will not remain in 3rd place. You could certainly argue that it will take some time for it to become price-competitive enough to challenge LCD RP for 1st place in this niche market, but you can't seriously believe that LCoS won't supplant DLP for 2nd place within a few years. 1080P should start to initiate that change this fall. All these 1080P LCoS sets are going to have cleaner picture than the present wobulated 1080P DLP chip sets and future 1080P LCos sets are only going to put more distance in PQ between them and a basically stagnant 1-chip wobulated DLP design which will only show imrovement in small gradients from here. Once 1080P LCoS sets reach a price point equal to DLP, they'll overtake them in market share fairly rapidly. DLP will remain in lower end niche area of the RPTV market as they'll eventually be selling 60" + 1080P DLP's in the $1,200 to $1,500 area, imo.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Gazelle, my post above regarding marketing hype was meant to be tongue in cheek. But, who do you think creates the "buzz" around products and technologies? You may be talking to "experts" who are excited about coming products, but believe me, it's the marketing teams of Sony, JVC, Toshiba, etc, etc, that created that buzz, especially regarding products not even available. That's what marketing does! I am not an electronics expert by any means, but I do have quite a bit of marketing experience.
I see what you're saying. Sure, it's the manufacturers. Can't deny that - except for maybe JVC. They don't seem to get out and promote themselves at all.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR
Lol, and how about the "Birefringent Compensating Element"

Who thinks up this stuff
One entry found for birefringence.

Main Entry: bi·re·frin·gence

Pronunciation: "bI-ri-'frin-j&n(t)s

Function: noun

Etymology: International Scientific Vocabulary

: the refraction of light in an anisotropic material (as calcite) in two slightly different directions to form two rays

- bi·re·frin·gent adjective

I am sure that you can work out what the other words mean by yourself.

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Gazelle, your argument is sensible, except to the extent that DLP will somehow fall to 3rd place. TI just isn't going to let that happen. They are working on smaller chips for the purpose of lowering prices. And "dead end technology" or not, they have a lot of OEMs and won't cede them easily.

Artwood, LCD can improve a lot. The new Sony LCD parts are going to be a leap forward. And while I don't doubt the SXRD segment will grow, the reality is that Sony intends to keep it above their LCD line for quite some time. The plan is to get the 42-inch LCD RPTV down to

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Rear Projection LCD sales to fall--Rear Projection CRT ruled for a long time before the retreat began. I look forward to one day seeing a 1080p Plasma vs. SED vs. SXRD faceoff--one technology will have to win and if it is so close that no technology will clearly be on top, then we'll all still be winners!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.