AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to read just about all the info I can find on the comparison.. and the conclusion appears to be.. they are both incredible.
Looking to replace my synergy klipsch units, and I do about 50/50 music & movies.

Just a tidbit of info.
24'x24' basement room
denon 2300w
2x VBSS & nx3000d
mainly just 2 seats, me and the wife ~10ft back from screen

For my setup, placement under a mounted TV is the issue.
I can do the HTM12s all vertical, and make that work. (I will need to notch out TV stand in the center, but that seems fun and easy.)
1099's will be 2 vertical units for L&R, and 1 horizontal (center style) with a bit of reconfiguring.. and raising the screen ~4 inches higher to accommodate.

4" up for the TV isn't horrible.. but neither is it ideal.
Is the 1099 the better choice even if one needs to be center style?
Anyone personally compare htm12 vs 1099?

Getting really excited to start this soon. (As stock at DIYSG allows.)

Thanks for any advice.
-John

·
Registered
105 Posts
I struggled to choose between these two as well. There are a few members that have heard or owned both, but I don’t know if any of them did a side by side comparison. The people that have owned both seem to slightly prefer the 1099s, especially if music is involved. Here is one relevant thread:

Cinema 10 or HTM 12?

I think if you bought either one without ever hearing the other, you would be happy with your choice. I personally chose 1099s because I wanted the flexibility of the horizontal center if I ever changed my setup or moved. The horizontal center is great, and I don’t regret it vs vertical. I think I would prefer a horizontal 1099 at the correct height vs an HTM12 down low.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts

Here is a thread about that very thing--I am a search guru and am moving up in Google Fu! :)

Good thread, a guy owns both of them and can offer what each model offers so match it up to your needs for the win.

Be aware the HTM 12 has changed a bit--have no idea how well the new one VS the older one plays out.

Personally, I don't think you will go wrong either way but the above thread will assist in picking the rght one for you, your room and particular use.

Good luck and have a great weekend.

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
471 Posts
I chose the HTM12 and find them remarkable for movies... but, I felt like it falls flat for music only in the midbass, so I added pa460’s Aka VBSS to them for a truly exceptional three way setup.
So, if you continue to upgrade your setup then keep the VBSSs under your htm’s and then add different, better and lower tuned subs.
If you want to keep things simple then I would advise the 1099s and then sell the VBSS’s for a different, better, lower tune sub.

How far do you want to go?

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
AT 11 feet, the F15's have the same SEOS horn, they are about 66" to 72" CTC for the horns depending on toe-in.
I too have just 2 seats, the room is about 14ish wide but only 12ish at the front
For almost all legacy stereo, Spotify and YT music, stereo is superb.
source dependent, the sound field and totality of full FR presence is all good.
sure. I can do a DSU or ATMOS 7.6.4 but sometimes more speakers isn't better.
movies like Grasavity ans so forth, exceptional
Now my HTM6's have a the 8" SEOS horn and at about 7ish feet. for me alone, they are HUGE immersive and pure joy.
So the 1099's, it would be hard to argue that they won't be "good enough",
given a good run at REQ and maybe some room treatments,
it's pretty much all win-win
but I'd favor the HTM / HT 's is I had to replace anything

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have likewise read that post, it's got some good info.

Thanks for the info guys!
My VBSS' are still fairly new to me.. and I'm still quite enthralled by them. :)
I enjoy listening to music quite often.. so the idea of the HTM12's lacking a bit of mids scares me a bit.
I do think the 1099's are best suited for me, even if they will require some layout changes due to the center size.

Alright. That's it. No more wishy washy.
Once they are in stock, I'm going in. :D
I'll be constantly refreshing diysg if anyone needs me. :p haha

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
471 Posts
I do think the 1099's are best suited for me, even if they will require some layout changes due to the center size.

Alright. That's it. No more wishy washy.
Once they are in stock, I'm going in. :D
I'll be constantly refreshing diysg if anyone needs me. :p haha
Make sure you email @EricH and let him know you are ready to buy. He might just put them in stock long enough for you to pay for them and then send them out as soon as they / he is ready.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Messaged him again, but it's been a couple weeks since last response.
Hope all is well with him.

Getting antsy to place the order, and will be out of town this weekend.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have a trio of 1099, I love them. However if I was doing things again I would really consider a tower version of the Fusion15. I was lucky enough to attend a G2G locally and was able to compare my 1099 against a few other designs. The custom Fusion15 was really really good for music, it was the top choice in our blind listening test. The 1099 easily were the winners for movies, and most comments where that with some EQ to tame the midranges alittle it might have done better on music. I haven't heard the HTM12 tho so its not a direct comparison.

BTW I also built a pair of VBSS, at the time I wasn't blown away by them, but once I sold them I missed them instantly. I am currently in the process of trying to build some MBM again, but with the border closed I am kind of in a indefinite holding patter.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Messaged him again, but it's been a couple weeks since last response.
Hope all is well with him.

Getting antsy to place the order, and will be out of town this weekend.
Check out the Titan thread - he has responded to some posts (including my posts). He is waiting for some parts ...

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
ive heard the 1099s and the HTM's side by side...I found the 1099s better for HT and i found the HTMs better for music. The 1099s were a little more in your face and dynamic..the HT's were more smooth and neutral.

Reactions: Mike Butny

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
ive heard the 1099s and the HTM's side by side...I found the 1099s better for HT and i found the HTMs better for music. The 1099s were a little more in your face and dynamic..the HT's were more smooth and neutral.
I think that's caused by the rather large dual midranges, if you could add a house curve to the 1099 I bet they would perform much better on music.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah.. I'm sure I'll play around with the umik-1 and REW once I get these.. and get 'em built.
I'm so pumped.. really hope I don't miss out on the next time these 1099's go live. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone built the enhanced new version of the HTM12? Pretty sure it has a new woofer and some other changes. Hopefully, someone can post impressions.

And hopefully this pandemic can end.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts