AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is the incorrect sub-forum, but I thought someone might be able to give some insight...

I'm moving into a new house so I'm in the process of converting the bonus room into a theater. My last home theater we used in-walls due to space constraints, but I was hoping to do the LCR with bookshelf speakers this time. In order to maintain a more "commercial cinema look I was hoping to hide the front speakers, and in doing so my idea was to place them in the (finished) storage room behind the front wall.

In other words, I was planning to place 3 speakers and the subwoofer in the room behind the front wall and just cut out holes so they'll basically look like in-walls. Do you see any audio issues with doing this or should I just stick with in-walls again?

Note that a projection screen will be hung on the front wall over the cutouts so the speakers will be hidden.

Thank you

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,826 Posts
There are audio impacts of sticking speakers designed for in room use into a wall, You will get a bass boost (baffle wall effect) which is not necessarily a problem if you can manage your rooms frequency response with equalization or willing to live with the boost. Second you will eliminate the negative effects of front wall SBIR that normally occurs when reflections off the front wall add destructive interference to the speakers, the frequency is dependent on the distance from the front wall. This is good news.

Food for thought is you can achieve the look you desire by placing the speakers in the room and erecting an acoustically transparent screen wall. which is probably more common than cutting holes in the wall and more flexible for future upgrades.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are audio impacts of sticking speakers designed for in room use into a wall, You will get a bass boost (baffle wall effect) which is not necessarily a problem if you can manage your rooms frequency response with equalization or willing to live with the boost.
Would you have to worry about this if the speakers are not rear ported?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are audio impacts of sticking speakers designed for in room use into a wall, You will get a bass boost (baffle wall effect) which is not necessarily a problem if you can manage your rooms frequency response with equalization or willing to live with the boost. Second you will eliminate the negative effects of front wall SBIR that normally occurs when reflections off the front wall add destructive interference to the speakers, the frequency is dependent on the distance from the front wall. This is good news.

Food for thought is you can achieve the look you desire by placing the speakers in the room and erecting an acoustically transparent screen wall. which is probably more common than cutting holes in the wall and more flexible for future upgrades.
I really appreciate the help. In a perfect world I'd build a false wall for the screen to hang on with the speakers behind it as suggested, but unfortunately that would eat into the throw of my projector (in order to fill the full image). Long story short, I need all the distance I can get.

If it were you would you go to the trouble with bookshelf speakers or just go in-wall? My room will be strictly for movies and I would not consider myself an audiophile, but I would like to get decent performance.

Last question, I'm guessing the subwoofers should probably be placed within the room as well? I could just try to hide them if need be. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You could look into infinite baffle subwoofers. You pay a lot to get good performance from in-wall speakers, but good performers are out there - Check out Triad's line.

I'm not sure how tight you are with space, but you could have a acoustically transparent screen as close as a foot from the wall. Speakers like the DIY Soundgroup HT-12 or HT-10 are built for just such instances.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could look into infinite baffle subwoofers. You pay a lot to get good performance from in-wall speakers, but good performers are out there - Check out Triad's line.

I'm not sure how tight you are with space, but you could have a acoustically transparent screen as close as a foot from the wall. Speakers like the DIY Soundgroup HT-12 or HT-10 are built for just such instances.
Thank you. I'll look into those

1 - 11 of 11 Posts