AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
I'm currently in the process of building a small home theater and I need to purchase some speakers. My theater room is only 13'x23' with the screen being on the 13' wall. A couple years back, before I purchased my current home, I purchased Axiom speakers for the HT. No screen, just a 50" plasma tv. This go around I will be using an AT screen. I would like the screen as wide as possible so I'm thinking of using a 120" wide screen. In order for me to use a screen this wide, I'm thinking that I will need to use In-Wall speakers. I really don't want to use bookshelf or floor standing speakers as that will take lots of floor space in an already small room. I will be sitting aprox 13-14 feet away from the screen.
I was looking at the Axiom in-wall speakers cause I need to use the Qs8 surround speakers for now. Before I go spend money on the Axioms, I would like to know what other in-wall speakers I can purchase for around $6-$800 that will sound good in my small room.
Can you guys/gals please help me out?

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read of people having success with screens 6" away from the wall. So I was thinking of doing that. Hence the in-wall speakers. If I push in more, than my sitting area will be closer to the screen.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've read of people having success with screens 6" away from the wall. So I was thinking of doing that. Hence the in-wall speakers. If I push in more, than my sitting area will be closer to the screen.
I have had the same issue when I upgraded my Screen to a larger one and went for Polk LS in-walls for my LCR (265-LS and 255c-LS) which should be in your budget (look for discounted outlets!) and I was a bit worried at first but these things rock! I know there are better in-walls out there but for this price point I am really very happy. I have my movies LOUD and these speakers are way better than the towers and center I had before (monitors). I have no idea how well Polk LS will match with your current surrounds nor how good the in-wall one from that manufacture will be so can't help there, just sharing my experience. A lot of ppl advise against in-walls and I understand why but with modern tech and matched with a good sub or two I would now say in-walls can be every bit as good as towers :eek:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Also - if you haven't decided on an AT screen I can recommend taking a look at Falcon Screens, they have great material options with very fine grain and good gain for HD/UHD at your seating distance and closer and can be as close a 1 - 2 inches from in-wall speaker.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
For in-walls, I would look at Triad and Atlantic Technology in that budget. I would also look at what kind of deals you can get for Klipsch THX in-walls. If you need something inexpensive, look at some Hsu HIW in-walls.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, I got some responses. I will be looking into some of these speakers as I would like to purchase them asap. I will also look into the Falcon Screens as I'm in the market for a screen as well. I will start another thread on that soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts