AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my entire AV123 setup (well still trying to get rid of a pair of bookselves - RS150's) and am seriously considering going acoustically transparent screen with an LCR arrangment. I am thinking a DIY approach will net me the most bang for my buck and since the speakers will be concealed the appearance isn't as critical now.

LCR's - I would love to get something going like the JTR Triple 8's and haven't seen anything in the DIY kits that resembles this. I don't have a boatload of cash so I need to be efficient with my money. I have a friend that is willing to build the cabinets so I am not worried about that. I would prefer pre-assembled crossovers but given big enough cabinets and a good layout instruction manual I could attempt crossover assembly to save money.

Any ideas for the LCR's? - PICKED ECONOWAVEGUIDE DELUXE VERSIONS!
Courtesy Zilch at AudioKarma.org

eWaveGuide Deluxe Render

Finished Product

Subwoofer - I see the current rage is the THT's so I think I would like to try one of these as well. Average cost is about $400, but I already have a spare amp channel so the cost is down to about $200.

Almost done with it!

Current Progress:

Going to base my build around BFM's Tuba HT sub so I don't think I need to or can post any pictures of the render. Once I start construction I will post a few pictures...it seems there are a million build threads for THT's so I will probably only post about it if I have questions and when I am done with it.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Too bad Mayhem's project was stalled last year. It would have been very similar to what the JTRs offer.

Im hoping someone builds a JTR or Catalyst DIY version at some point but until then we have Waveguide designs if you are interested??

Those have HUGE dynamics for low $$$$

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
THT cost about $400 start to finish depending on amplifier unless you have amplification on hand already. Just to be 100% safe id budget $450 for the sub so you can have a nice finish if you so choose. But just some truck bedliner or duratex rolled on looks pretty sweet IMO thats what i did haha and can be had for $400. That would be leaving you with $1050-$100 for LCR. Alot of guys with the econowave speakers are running phantom center. But you should be able to build 3 higher end econowave's for around your budget of $1050. I would talk to zilch(hopefully he jumps in here) and see if he has gotten a version of the econowave up and running using the 10" deltalite woofers. You should easily be able to squeeze out 3 with your budget using that woofer and have an amazing setup.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the econowave...first time I have heard of it in that name..is essentially what Tweak City is releasing in the Pro-10.

TCA Pro-10

What sort of impact does adding a 10" woofer in the speaker add to the overall sound as opposed to the small bookshelves from Hsu for instance...

I think I want to try a THT for sure. It sound like a fairly easy build and the price is right that I could do two of them in a fairly short time and it sounds like it would easily best my previous two subs (MFW-15 x 2).

What I want is some volume without distortion from my front three. I tend to like a smooth, slightly laid back sound but don't want to suffer clean, crisp dialogue for movies.

I want to be able to crank up some Concert Blurays and also be able to hear the lyrics. Does any of that make sense?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The drivers JTR uses in it's triple 8 cost over $200 each plus shipping so there no real cost savings in DIYing them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! /forum/post/18345199

The drivers JTR uses in it's triple 8 cost over $200 each plus shipping so there no real cost savings in DIYing them.

I guess I was assuming that someone had found a similar driver/crossover configuration that was acceptable, cheaper, and appeared the same in a cabinet the same size.

I wasn't trying to infer that JTR was making a giant margin.

Any thoughts on the eWave versus the Pro-10.

TCA is trying to sell the Pro-10 for about $350 each plus shipping. You can build an EWG for cheaper but it seems like it may require some tweaking of the crossovers from what I am reading.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ewaves are unique via the constant directivity waveguides and the minimalist crossovers used to control the compression drivers. Don't know much about the Pro-10, but it doesn't look constant directivity to me.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller4299 /forum/post/18345874

Ewaves are unique via the constant directivity waveguides and the minimalist crossovers used to control the compression drivers. Don't know much about the Pro-10, but it doesn't look constant directivity to me.

Care to explain what constant directivity is in laymen's terms?

It seems like the EWG designs I have seen utilize several different waveguides. Perhaps they all are constant directivity?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! /forum/post/18345199

And you know this how?

·
Registered
526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch /forum/post/18346248

Care to explain what constant directivity is in laymen's terms?

It seems like the EWG designs I have seen utilize several different waveguides. Perhaps they all are constant directivity?

Ok, constant directivity is maintaining a relatively flat frequency response even when you are off-axis. The opposite is a directional speaker, such as a regular horn, which sounds entirely different off axis (the highs only exist if the speakers are pointed right at you). The advantages of this are larger sweet spot, and a more even response within this area.

If it's an 'ewave' it's pretty much gonna be constant directivity. Most of the waveguides are oblate spheroid, a shape that is very conducive to CD.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller4299 /forum/post/18348476

Ok, constant directivity is maintaining a relatively flat frequency response even when you are off-axis. The opposite is a directional speaker, such as a regular horn, which sounds entirely different off axis (the highs only exist if the speakers are pointed right at you). The advantages of this are larger sweet spot, and a more even response within this area.

If it's an 'ewave' it's pretty much gonna be constant directivity. Most of the waveguides are oblate spheroid, a shape that is very conducive to CD.

That is what I was looking for! Thank you for the very clear and simple explanation.

Any change of modifying the eWave designs to put the waveguide outside the enclosure? I think that looks pretty sweet...like this:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I decided to bite the bullet and dive into the EconoWave Deluxe version. I will be mounting the horn on top of a 2cu. ft. enclosure for the Eminence driver down low.

The compression driver is sold out but I have some time to figure out how this all goes together.

I just wish the THT discussions would figure out the best way to go for my bass...but looks like I will be busy soon building!

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18337306

Too bad Mayhem's project was stalled last year. It would have been very similar to what the JTRs offer.

Im hoping someone builds a JTR or Catalyst DIY version at some point but until then we have Waveguide designs if you are interested??

Those have HUGE dynamics for low $$$$

It did not stall. Per the voting it was headed in that direction, but Mayhem did not want to go that route. His reasoning was a moving waveguide would not be good, but the cone movement in a JTR coaxial is very small.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch /forum/post/18392445

What amp are people using for the THT??

MusiciansFriend has a sale going on right now...15% single item with coupon "BREAK".

Might be the right time to buy...Thanks!

Anyone? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well started putting together the crossovers for my EWaveguide Deluxe LCR's!

This took me about 1-1/2 hour. Took me awhile to figure out my new butane soldering iron...cord free is nice but the fuel burns pretty quick. I am a complete amateur so don't rely on that review as your only source. $12 was the right price and plus...FIRE!

Anyway....here is where I got:

Closeup of one -

Two 50% done -

One about 90% done - (forgot about the L-Pad wire connections so three wire connections left!)

I think another 1-1/2 hour tomorrow night should finish the crossovers. Then I will check them to make sure my bogus soldering skills didn't render them completely useless (
ops: ).

I will probably start the woofer break-in process as well...plus tell my cabinet builder he needs to get to work!

·
Registered
944 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab /forum/post/18509667

Please review the Deluxe crossover construction instructions. You have instead mounted components in the "Standard" eWave configuration:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...16#post3529116

The basic design and schematic are here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...05#post3448405

Get some solder wick (or a solder sucker) from Radio Shack to assist in correcting the erroneous connections....

Well that figures...darnit.

Looking at the picture of the deluxe crossover:

The only difference I notice is the stacked resistor, which I don't see in the schematic or the shopping list, and the jumper wire across C3, which I guess I should probably add.

I must be having a dense moment...how did I screw this up exactly?

1 - 20 of 142 Posts