AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
A few questions...

1. Can I just screw in the binding post as long as the cut opening is tight with the plastic? Or should I be putting some glue around the edge as well to fill it up? I used these:

They have screw holes in the corner and a bit of gasket material around the flange.

2. Should I be securely screwing the crossover board to the cabinet? Should it be set off the cabinet wall or screwed directly to it? What is the standard way to set it off the cabinet wall?

3. Any thoughts on filling the cabinet with loose fiberglass insulation?

4. What is the proper way to mount the L-pad? It barely gets through the 3/4" MDF. I thought I assembled it correctly but I can't figure out how to make it so it won't just spin in once it is altogether.

Thanks!

·
Registered
944 Posts
1) The gasket should seal well enough.

2) Mounting holes for screws are provided in the four corners of the boards. Put standoffs behind the board per the supplied instructions and secure with wood screws.

3) They are ported cabs; you do not want to "fill" them with fiberglass, rather, merely line the inside of the walls and back with it.

4) Put the internal-tooth lockwasher on the shaft first, then through the panel, then plastic plate, flatwasher, nut (tighten), and finally, knob. If the shaft is too short, counterbore the mounting hole from the inside to gain another 1/16" or so....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Thanks again Zilch!

Made a ton of progress today and finished up a pair! Only the one crossover to troubleshoot for the center channel and I am done with this build...my first!

Next to a pair of the Insignia's that have been sitting in as speaker duty while these were being built and my last set was already sold.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If you have difficulty troubleshooting the last crossover, mail it to me and I'll git 'er done.

Note: Reviewing the thread, that capacitor solder connection at the upper right of the pic in Post #41 looks like it may not be good. That'd not have anything to do with the HF not operating, but I hope you reflowed it....

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilchLab /forum/post/18639730

If you have difficulty troubleshooting the last crossover, mail it to me and I'll git 'er done.

Note: Reviewing the thread, that capacitor solder connection at the upper right of the pic in Post #41 looks like it may not be good. That'd not have anything to do with the HF not operating, but I hope you reflowed it....

Haven't yet but will. I plan on robbing a few crap drivers from a set of white van speakers I have and going through the board as discussed earlier in the thread.

It would be nice to get these knocked out this weekend!

I need to upgrade my amplification now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Very nice job!

Now.... how do they sound?

I dont remember if you said or not, but were your old speakers? Hopefully you can your other crossover figured out and get your third speaker running so you can watch a movie or two now.

·
Registered
944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- /forum/post/18641171

Here's a start:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch on AudioKarma /forum/post/0

The initial listening impressions are very favorable and the detail in these for movies (about 10 minutes of listening so far) is insane!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by titch-- /forum/post/18641171

Very nice job!

I dont remember if you said or not, but were your old speakers? Hopefully you can your other crossover figured out and get your third speaker running so you can watch a movie or two now.

Zilch already gave a peak but the immediate thing I noticed was the detail. I could hear dirt falling off the head of the penguins (Madagascar)...the exhale when they were speaking...and mind you this is with a mammoth CRT projector above my head whirring along with several fans.

I still need to dial in the L-pad because I am very concerned about ear strain from the improved high frequencies.

I do need new amplification though. I currently use Behringer A500's but am looking at moving up to the Behringer EPQ2000 or the new Crown XLS 1000's.

I used to have a complete AV123 Rocket setup.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sweet thanks for the replys guys.

Excellent news on the midrange detail, thats what I was hoping for.
Another thing was how they sound when they are turned up?

Im itchin to start mine.

cheers

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardmountain /forum/post/18643333

Working on my Deluxe's........how do you attach the PVC port to the cabinet?

Here is how I did it:

My front baffle is two boards thick. The front board is cut to the inside diameter of the PVC tube and the back board is cut to the outside diameter of the PVC. When you put the two board together the PVC can be glued inside the back board and pushed tight so it is flush with the holes on the front board.

Confusing?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Must have had a few of my "hand" clamps in the wrong place when I first tested my third crossover. I tested it again and it worked right away!

Got the last speaker completed last night...feels good to have that project completed.

Now on to the sub and the screen wall!

·
Registered
944 Posts
[The Insignias are MIA....
]

·
Registered
379 Posts
They turned out very nice greg.

No build thread for yours buzzard???

cheers

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Getting ready to purchase some supplies for the THT build.

Likely going to go with the 15" Dayton sub and the standard 24" wide THT.

Any recommendations for an amp?

Anywhere but Parts Express to get the Dayton?

Anyone have one of those $5 off coupons? Mine all expired on 4/15/10.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_mitch /forum/post/18654693

Getting ready to purchase some supplies for the THT build.

Likely going to go with the 15" Dayton sub and the standard 24" wide THT.

Any recommendations for an amp?

Anywhere but Parts Express to get the Dayton?

Anyone have one of those $5 off coupons? Mine all expired on 4/15/10.

The standard 240w plate amp is more the applicable for the THT. I run it with mine and hit up to 120db's

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/18656093

The standard 240w plate amp is more the applicable for the THT. I run it with mine and hit up to 120db's

This one?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-804

If that is the case...I might just temporarily run it off of one channel of my Behringer A500. It can do 300W at 4 ohms. I have three of them and can put them to use for each of the 5.1 speakers I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad /forum/post/18657555

Nice job on the speakers! I plan on building similar this summer for my HT. Unfortunately I do not have a AT screen, so mine will be a little stubby (28") so they fit below the screen.

Have you had a chance to let 'em rip?

Good luck with your build. It really wasn't that bad...and I could have made my cabinets myself looking at how simple the box was but a coworker was thinking of trying to build cabinets for people and wanted to try it out first to see how tough it was [not very].

We watched about 15 minutes of Cars and it is driving me nuts not having a subwoofer but other than that they sound amazing. I was missing out a ton on detail with my AV123 speakers and I thought the RSC200 [bigfoot] was an amazing speaker when I first heard it...nowhere near the level of detail that these put out. And don't interpret that as harshness...not at all. I don't think they sound ANYTHING like a typical lower level Klipsch speaker which I usually find very fatiguing. Please don't flame me for the Klipsch comment. I haven't had much time with these guys...so let's let it play out a bit longer.

61 - 80 of 142 Posts