AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently deciding between Triad InCeiling Bronze LCR and DefTech RCS II or III for my front speakers in a 5.1 (eventually 7.1) setup. One of the differences (at least spec-wise) between these is the recommended (minimum) crossover. The Triads are 80Hz, I believe with the RCS III at 60Hz and RCS II at 40Hz. Assuming these are usable xover points for each model, and that the sub performs reasonably well above these xover pts, what are the advantages of going with a model with lower xover potential? Does it potentially help with sub integration? room modes? FWIW, the subs I'm considering are: SVS SB12-NSD (probably dual), Rythmik E15 and SVS SB13-Ultra.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you see any advantage then of the RCS II over the RCS III then? Both same sensitivity, different drivers and enclosure size... want to make sure I know what I'm missing out on if I go with the RCS III over the (more expensive) RCS II.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri  /t/1468392/lcr-sub-integration-and-xover-selection#post_23206237

I'm currently deciding between Triad InCeiling Bronze LCR and DefTech RCS II or III for my front speakers in a 5.1 (eventually 7.1) setup. One of the differences (at least spec-wise) between these is the recommended (minimum) crossover. The Triads are 80Hz, I believe with the RCS III at 60Hz and RCS II at 40Hz. Assuming these are usable xover points for each model, and that the sub performs reasonably well above these xover pts, what are the advantages of going with a model with lower xover potential? Does it potentially help with sub integration? room modes? FWIW, the subs I'm considering are: SVS SB12-NSD (probably dual), Rythmik E15 and SVS SB13-Ultra.

Deftech specs around extension for useable bass are almost always exaggerated. I would plan on an 80hz crossover point as was recommended. My RLS II's are rated to play down to 22hz. I measure more like 40hz

I still crossover at 80hz though for several reasons. One, I have four 15" subwoofers that handle bass below 80hz much better than my speakers. Two, it takes the load off the speakers and the receiver and gives me more headroom.

Unless you are really planning on pushing your speakers I would save some money and go with the RCS III's vs the II's. If you are the type of person who really likes to crank it up and push things, go with the III's.

In you budget range have you looked into the PSA XS30 and XS15 subwoofers? Nothing wrong with any of the subs you listed but PSA is very good bang for the buck. Hsu also has a wireless sub (ULS-15) that is easy to integrate into a room and has good sound quality.l

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk  /t/1468392/lcr-sub-integration-and-xover-selection#post_23210425

Deftech specs around extension for useable bass are almost always exaggerated. I would plan on an 80hz crossover point as was recommended. My RLS II's are rated to play down to 22hz. I measure more like 40hz

I still crossover at 80hz though for several reasons. One, I have four 15" subwoofers that handle bass below 80hz much better than my speakers. Two, it takes the load off the speakers and the receiver and gives me more headroom.

Unless you are really planning on pushing your speakers I would save some money and go with the RCS III's vs the II's. If you are the type of person who really likes to crank it up and push things, go with the III's.

In you budget range have you looked into the PSA XS30 and XS15 subwoofers? Nothing wrong with any of the subs you listed but PSA is very good bang for the buck. Hsu also has a wireless sub (ULS-15) that is easy to integrate into a room and has good sound quality.l

I suspected the bass extension was exaggerated for both models given it is well below the recommended (minimum) xover point... So, I just took the xover as the bass extension
I considered the XS15, but it is a bit bigger than I'd like (the ULS-15 is just a smidge bigger than the SB13-U, which itself will really be pushing size limitations for me, as well as the E15)... just gotta draw the line somewhere (cost, size, minimum performance), and I drew a size line just below the XS15... thanks for bringing the ULS-15 back to my attention... with grill, heatsink, feet, it is the same size as the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts