AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hooking up a Pioneer CLD-1090 laserdisc player and my processor has available coaxial digital inputs but does not have an optical input free.... does the AC-3 rf output work as a digital PCM ouput? I realize that this would not be DD output but would at least be a digital connection for CD, Dolby Pro Logic, and maybe DTS. I realize that to have a DD output I need a demodulator. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
does the AC-3 rf output work as a digital PCM ouput?
No. Sorry, but that connector only carries the DD RF signal (if present).

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
You need an RF demodulator. my RF demodulator accepts the digital coax from the LD player and the RD signal. it demodulates the AC3 RF signal and also passes the digital/DTS signal. You don't have to switch anything.

My RF demodulator is connected to my receiver using a coax cable.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
The 1090 is a very old model. It predates AC-3 outputs. I think it was a current model in either 1990 or 1991. AC-3 didn't happen till 1995. To employ AC-3, from thusly encoded discs, you have to have a player with the dedicated AC-3 digital output. Every Pioneer players since 1995 except the budjet model CLD-S104 has the AC-3 output. You could have your player retro-fitted with an AC-3 output, but I wouldn't. I'd buy a newer player with AC-3 instead. I wouldn't spend money on such an old and average player. Oh, some demodulators give you a choice of optical or coaxial digital output, in case yo get AC-3 eventually....Best wishes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses, upon arriving at my friends house I realized that the CLD-1090 does not have a AC-3 digital output. It only has a optical digital out. I still needed to know the answer to this question because I will be doing further LD installs and I have not been able to get a straight answer from anyone I have talked to or even searches on the web. The owners manuals I have read are also vague. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
the optical out will pass the dts and dolby pro-logic signals for decoding. dts discs are a little hard to find but are well worth the search

grant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.