AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can I find LD players for sale I haven't seen one in years. I thinking of get one are there moveis still out on laser disc besides star wars?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
E-Bay has lots of used units, as a matter of fact I have a great one for sale there now. Auction for a Pioneer DVL700 DVD/CD/LaserDisc Player Auction # 1353679870.


There are lots of great players to be had, I would chose one that had both side play, so you don't have to get up and flip the disc.


E-Bay is also a great place to pick up lots of used LD's, for CHEAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
You have to know your use before you go and buy one. If you have any laserdiscs that are AC-3 (Dolby Digital), then you need to find one with the RF Output. I find them on E-Bay all the time. The other place to check is your local used stereo equipment store. Grab the phone book and call around and ask if they have any laserdisc players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
EBay is a great place for LD players and their sister site, Half.Com is a great place for LD movies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bergie33
You have to know your use before you go and buy one. If you have any laserdiscs that are AC-3 (Dolby Digital), then you need to find one with the RF Output. I find them on E-Bay all the time. The other place to check is your local used stereo equipment store. Grab the phone book and call around and ask if they have any laserdisc players.
I wouldn't worry about using LD AC-3 RF unless you actually accumulate a bunch of them and think you can't live without it. All AC-3 LD's also have a PCM track too and if people would bother to compare the two, they'd find that the PCM is often better anyway. Get a player that has optical or coaxial digital output for PCM and DTS. If it has an AC-3 output too, that's fine and well but it's not mandatory.


Set your sights on an above average, visually, player like a CLD-95, CLD-D703/4, CLD-79, Pannasonic LX-900, LD-S2, or DVL-90/91. These are all players you might find for $200 to $500...? They all have real nice composite out. If you want better, do a search for LD-S9 and/or HLD-X9 or CLD's 97 & 99 or Mac 7020 (97 clone). LD AC-3 is terrific but so is PCM and far more LD's have PCM. There are less than 1000 AC-3 LD's anyway out of the myriad of releases, proably about 900...? I listened to THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK AC-3 Special Edition version last night in PCM. It's atleast as good in PCM, if not better, than in Dolby Digital IMO. Worry about pic over sound, me thinks. Best wishes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,522 Posts
Wow, the big cat Rachael is also turning more and more to PCM.:D

I'm waiting for a free lesson on water ski.


-Mattias-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I believe Nicolas Santini still has a few X9s available for sale on eBay. The picture from the X9 is amazing compared to my 909. Rachael Bellomy gave me the insight on the X9 and she was dead on. It's a fabulous player.


Regards,


Frank Bambarola
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
I can't beleive that nobody has mentioned Audiogon.com. I see Theta transports there quite often. If you get a Data lll you will get a great CD transport at the same time.

I have had a Data lll for years and still watch LDs all the time. As much as I like the compactness and excellent video of a DVD, the LD still rules for audio. Just compare the Last Waltz on LD and DVD or the opera segment of The Fifth Element on LD and then DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MoreGear
I believe Nicolas Santini still has a few X9s available for sale on eBay.
It doesn't seem to be there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,286 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MoreGear
I believe Nicolas Santini still has a few X9s available for sale on eBay. The picture from the X9 is amazing compared to my 909. Rachael Bellomy gave me the insight on the X9 and she was dead on. It's a fabulous player.


Regards,


Frank Bambarola
:)How sweet of you to say Frank! The thang never ceases to amaze me. I've been watching some STIR WARZ films on it this week. It's dazzling on those Special Edition discs. There ain't too many warts on them apples unless you subtract points for changed scenes.


Daniel Law at the Chinese Club in Hong Kong is worth checking with. He's been a good source of X9's for a long time.

[email protected]


It is the bottom of the ninth inning isn't it? Best wishes cats!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael Bellomy



I wouldn't worry about using LD AC-3 RF unless you actually accumulate a bunch of them and think you can't live without it. All AC-3 LD's also have a PCM track too and if people would bother to compare the two, they'd find that the PCM is often better anyway.


...


I listened to THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK AC-3 Special Edition version last night in PCM. It's at least as good in PCM, if not better, than in Dolby Digital IMO. Worry about pic over sound, me thinks. Best wishes!
Well, I listened and watched Phantom Menace and it's ac-3 soundtrack sounds noticably better than the pcm. More spacious and exciting (even louder). To my ears, pcm is less of a theater experience. Would you have bought an X9 if it did not have ac-3? Probably not. In any event, even if a player does not have ac-3, Kurtis Bahr can possibly modify it. AC-3 is not a must-have, but it is a worthwhile investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MoreGear
I believe Nicolas Santini still has a few X9s available for sale on eBay. The picture from the X9 is amazing compared to my 909. Rachael Bellomy gave me the insight on the X9 and she was dead on. It's a fabulous player.


Regards,


Frank Bambarola


I agree with you 100%!! I will soon get my second X9!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,143 Posts
I gotta add, I've been watching the Difinitive set that I received friday.... and DAMN! This is a nice picture and the sound ain't bad either.


I'm running on a Marantz LV520 which has 50db S/N and this is WAY better than VHS. I don't understand where the comparisons to VHS come from.


I thought it funny the trailers on the discs looked like they came from VHS and crappy looking. The speical effects that were missing has me curious if people were looking forward to seeing this before it was released. This was the first PG movie I saw and I got in touble for seeing it... whoops. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ollie W. Holmes



Well, I listened and watched Phantom Menace and it's ac-3 soundtrack sounds noticably better than the pcm. More spacious and exciting (even louder). To my ears, pcm is less of a theater experience. Would you have bought an X9 if it did not have ac-3? Probably not. In any event, even if a player does not have ac-3, Kurtis Bahr can possibly modify it. AC-3 is not a must-have, but it is a worthwhile investment.
Ollie, I have 800 LD's and proably 70 to 100 have AC-3, so really PCM is more important. SWPM is IMO the preimere AC-3 (and EX) recording. I aggree with you on it. I think STAR WARS & EMPIRE KICKS BACK do sound better in PCM. COURAGE UNDER FIRE sounds better in AC-3 than PCM, but THE FLY (1958) sounds way better in PCM. "Re-mixing" GONE WITH THE WIND for AC-3 was a waste of time! JURASSIC PARK is as good in Pro-Logic PCM as any other format. It varies from disc to disc and opinions of course.


Un-compresed PCM sounds good to me. The old movies from the 30's and 40's are the very best, to me anyway. The DVD's I have like 'M', THE THIRD MAN, or HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY and others don't sound as good as analog or PCM LD sound. I prefer old Academy ratio films on LD for the sound but I will trade that for an exceptional looking DVD like THE THIRD MAN. But, how many old films have gotten or will get the third man type treatment? Not so many it appears. Anyway, most of these films aren't on DVD yet anyway. Someday maybe? Most won't look much better than the LD's do now if or when they get to DVD IMO. They could maybe, but won't, proably?


Compare the declawed, and I mean totally, DD tracks on the two DR. PHIBES DVD's to the LD counter parts. You don't need a subwoofer for the DVD's! The LD's will test the limits of your sub when Phibes plays his pipe organ. LD PCM is pretty good!


Modern, noisey, and effective, auh, effect-driven films feed off 5.1 digital audio mixes. Most films don't. Even some of the effects films do quite nicely with PCM. Pro-Logic doesn't have quite the centre channel seperation as AC-3 but can otherwise hold it's own, no problemo.


If you compare enough PCM to AC-3 tracks you'll find some PCM you'll prefer. How's the PCM on INDIANA JONES? Muy excellente, me thinks. I have not tried PL 2 yet but the chatter is that it's da bomb with PCM Pro-Logic. I've been considering a thusly equiped 1066 Rotel or Outlaw pre for one of my systems. Could be, could be? Maybe after I'm finished moving this fall?


Many LD folks never embraced AC-3 and stille don't. I was infatuated with it when I got a Pioneer SP-99D back in '96. Now, I'm back to the basics, sort'a? I think my present pre, Marantz AV9000, really does PCM especially well especially in comparrison to past head units I had. It's analog pass-through is very good too. It doesn't hurt that the X9's analog outputs often excels beyond the 9000's either. I quess what I'm saying is my system exploits PCM very well. PCM is a great constant for LD's. I bet sombody besides Mattias will also respond to this thread and prefer LD PCM. Hi Mattias :) ! I'm evolving to thinking I mostly do. That un-compressed sound is for me.


:) Best wishes, Rachael!


P.S. - I'd buy the X9 for picture alone. It's awesome. I doubt I'll have the AC-3 output disconnected, but you never know;) ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,011 Posts
Jeff, I'm glad the 520 has worked out well for you. Watch yourself around here:p , or soon you might end up driving a Japanese player! Best wishes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,835 Posts
Quote:
If you compare enough PCM to AC-3 tracks you'll find some PCM you'll prefer. How's the PCM on INDIANA JONES? Muy excellente, me thinks. I have not tried PL 2 yet but the chatter is that it's da bomb with PCM Pro-Logic.
I've been using PL2 on my Onkyo 797 with the PCM tracks on all the Indy and Star Wars films, and it's unbelievable. Definitive Collection PCM paired with PL2 wipes the floor with the AC-3 track on the Special Edition. No contest. I'm using the digital output on my CLD-79 and letting the receiver do the processing (it does a really good job).


For those of you looking for a Japanese player, Nick e-mailed me this weekend to let me know that he has some brand new LD-S9 models in stock. Can't wait for mine to get here :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachael Bellomy



Ollie, I have 800 LD's and proably 70 to 100 have AC-3, so really PCM is more important. SWPM is IMO the preimere AC-3 (and EX) recording. I aggree with you on it. I think STAR WARS & EMPIRE KICKS BACK do sound better in PCM. COURAGE UNDER FIRE sounds better in AC-3 than PCM, but THE FLY (1958) sounds way better in PCM. "Re-mixing" GONE WITH THE WIND for AC-3 was a waste of time! JURASSIC PARK is as good in Pro-Logic PCM as any other format. It varies from disc to disc and opinions of course.


...


P.S. - I'd buy the X9 for picture alone. It's awesome. I doubt I'll have the AC-3 output disconnected, but you never know;) ?
Well, my dear, I own close to 5000 laserdisc's (scattered all over my house, even the basement), and agree that the vast majority are not ac-3, nor should be. As long as the laserdisc format is the only good one with rare RKO films, and many of Cyd Charisse's widescreen musicals, I'll continue watching it for many years.


As for the X9, I'm certain that your AV receiver can switch between rf ac-3, optical pcm, and analog (stereo outs from the laserdisc player). On old b&w movie discs, I actually prefer the L/R outs from my player vs. the digital optical connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Jeff, I'm glad the 520 has worked out well for you. Watch yourself around here , or soon you might end up driving a
I know, I'm already thinking upgrade... damn that didn't take any time.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top